BlackJack was thirsty.... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2015, 11:21 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I don't think this is what Donna meant when she said "automatic." I believe she was referring to the elusive air compressor that didn't require human intervention. Such a beast does not exist.....yet!
Exactly. I hate those dang Schrader valves. Even if the tires are at a perfect pressure, by time I get finished messing with them the tires are half-flat.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:58 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
There are central tire inflation systems (CTIS), which use either special hubs or awkward external plumbing with rotating fittings to connect to tires while they are mounted and turning as the vehicle drives. The usual purpose is to allow inflation to be reduced for specific off-road conditions and then raised again, all without stopping. I first heard of these on the HMMWV (which became the Hummer - later Hummer H1 - in civilian use), but other vehicles have had it. According to that Wikipedia page, it was even available on ordinary Chevy trucks - I didn't know that. CTIS can be set up to maintain tire pressure automatically, and would be reasonably easy (as custom machine shop jobs go) to retrofit to common trailer hubs... as long as they don't have Dexter EZ Lube or a similar feature.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 05:29 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Brian, I would expect it would be a rather expensive option/system?
And it would probably have a potential for serious malfunction?
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that technology existed.

I personally don't so much mind checking tire pressure or adjusting the pressure as much as addressing a flat. Removing it, putting on the spare, getting the spare properly repaired (if possible without having to replace), and the swapping the spare again for the repaired/replaced tire, a real PITA. Someone has invented an "automatic" vacuum cleaner, I believe it is called the Roomba? I'm not holding my breath waiting for someone to invent a mobile compressor, the Tire-ba or Wheelba!
Old 12-25-2015, 06:51 AM   #24

Senior moment. I meant getting the flat tire properly repaired.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:54 AM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: C&G in FL... I can see a potential business opportunity here!!! Run flat ST trailer tires?
What I really needed for Christmas was a leak proof toilet at home... but it was too late to call Santa and I'd probably have to pay triple time and a half for a plumber!!!
Merry Christmas to all... and to all a good site. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:06 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: C&G in FL... I can see a potential business opportunity here!!! Run flat ST trailer tires?
I'm in!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:09 PM   #27

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Exactly. I hate those dang Schrader valves. Even if the tires are at a perfect pressure, by time I get finished messing with them the tires are half-flat.
Oooooh, you want these. They were on all the busses and big trucks in Argentina when we were there last summer.
(Yes, these are the kind of pictures I take on vacation.)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2036.jpg  
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 02:20 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrules View Post
Oooooh, you want these. They were on all the busses and big trucks in Argentina when we were there last summer.
(Yes, these are the kind of pictures I take on vacation.)
That's a typical externally plumbed CTIS.
Yeah, I take this sort of photo too
Old 12-25-2015, 02:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
... I can see a potential business opportunity here!!! Run flat ST trailer tires?
Good idea... if only trailer tire buyers were not known for buying the cheapest possible rubber doughnuts in existence.

On a practical note... if a new car is equipped with run-flat tires, it is required to have a tire pressure monitoring system.
Old 12-25-2015, 02:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Brian, I would expect it would be a rather expensive option/system?
Yes, I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap, and I doubt many trailer owners would find it worthwhile. CTIS was not even normal equipment on U.S. HMMWVs, and Hummers were stupidly expensive, although there's nothing particularly exotic in it.

Quote:
And it would probably have a potential for serious malfunction?
More parts and more air connections do increase failure risk, of course. A check valve (so the system could only add air) would minimize unintentional deflation issues, if the only desire is to maintain pressure (rather than deflate and reinflate), making it no worse than the screw-on air pressure monitors discussed here or the extensions often used for the inner tire of dual sets.

... but I'm still not suggesting that many people would want a system like this. I doubt I would put it in a trailer even if I had lottery winnings to fund modifications; manually checking and adjusting air pressure is a good opportunity to check tire condition.

Quote:
Someone has invented an "automatic" vacuum cleaner, I believe it is called the Roomba? I'm not holding my breath waiting for someone to invent a mobile compressor, the Tire-ba or Wheelba!
Roombas actually work pretty well in some situations, but are not a complete solution. Probably a good summary of many automated systems.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
manually checking and adjusting air pressure is a good opportunity to check tire condition.
That is an extremely good point.
Old 12-25-2015, 05:35 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Where the "inflate on the fly" systems become very useful is traveling back country or beaches where you run into soft sand. Lowering the inflation to the point where you have good traction is soft sand makes it easy to spin the tire off the rim & leads to stability problems at higher speeds once you are back on hard dirt or pavement. Rather than stopping to air up & down each tire from a portable compressor, all you do is push a button on the dash.

I've seen them on custom jeeps & trucks on Nantucket Island when driving on the beach back before they closed most of them...
Old 01-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Thanks to Jim's OP, I remembered to take the voltmeter out to the storage yard and also check water levels.

I'm not seeing the point of taking batteries inside when they only lose .01V in a month? Water was good too.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0502 copy600.JPG  
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:29 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Bruce,
You need to come East, no snow and temperatures above freezing. Last week it was 70 degrees and people wearing shorts.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:19 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Thanks to Jim's OP, I remembered to take the voltmeter out to the storage yard and also check water levels.

I'm not seeing the point of taking batteries inside when they only lose .01V in a month? Water was good too.
Our trailer has been in storage for 2 months now and one of these days I will have to go over there and see where the batteries are at. I toyed with the idea of taking them out but it looked like a pretty big hassle. Plus it wouldn't be a bad idea to take it out on the highway to keep the tires from developing a flat spot. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:08 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Loren, water was needed immediately in the two new batteries we have and two new others we bought last year. We have added probably a quart or even more total in a couple of times filling in five months.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:41 PM   #37

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Loren, water was needed immediately in the two new batteries we have and two new others we bought last year. We have added probably a quart or even more total in a couple of times filling in five months.
That really surprises me. I topped ours off before they went into storage and I don't think that they took more than a couple of table spoons. But also every time I checked, they were at full charge. I don't think we ever did pull them down. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote