Blue Sky Energy 3000i - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2017, 11:45 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Blue Sky Energy 3000i

Our Samlex SCC 30AB solar controller has died. It has slowly reduced its output until now it is zero. I see that ETI no longer uses Samlex, but has apparently switched to Go-Power.
I've been researching replacements, and the Blue Sky Energy 3000i appears to be a good, but expensive choice. Has anyone installed and used one? Any conclusions or comments?
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:52 PM   #2

Do you have a BSE 3000i? Any opinion - +/- ?
Old 04-04-2017, 09:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Our Samlex SCC 30AB solar controller has died. It has slowly reduced its output until now it is zero. I see that ETI no longer uses Samlex, but has apparently switched to Go-Power.
I've been researching replacements, and the Blue Sky Energy 3000i appears to be a good, but expensive choice. Has anyone installed and used one? Any conclusions or comments?
Wow . Sorry about your controller Don . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
We have one and like it. Love that it's programmable to match the dual 6V recommended charge voltages, is MPPT, and true 4 stage charger. I only have our previous GoPower for comparison, and do not have a true battery meter e.g. a Trimetric, but the Blue Sky does seem to shove more amps into our batteries than either the GoPower did, OR the WFCO converter OR even the upgraded Boondocker converter we installed. This assessment is based on nominal battery voltages after sundown assessed across varied charging conditions.

I've already purchased another Blue Sky for our pending 19.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Don,
I believe it is a two year warranty on the Samlex. If you call Samlex they'll most likely ship you a new one.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:25 AM   #6

Thanks, Pat.

Scott,
Thanks so much for the feedback. That confirms our research.

Greg,
Thanks for the suggestion. We just discussed contacting Samlex. We read the warranty carefully, and then the procedure. Since the company is in Canada, and shipping the controller to them to evaluate is on our dime, and that there is a reasonable possibility that they could say that it's not the result of mfg., we decided to use our resources to see if there was something better to get as a replacement.

The Blue Sky Energy controller was mentioned on this forum, is MPPT, and the variety of reviews we read all are positive, with particular emphasis on higher amp. input percentages relative to incoming solar panel power. The only negative was ventilation.
Ventilation may have been the root problem with the Samlex, in its home in a small cabinet above the dinette. So, we're looking at alternative locations, and ventilation provisions.

Thanks again.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:36 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I replaced my GoPower controller with a Blue Sky Sun Power 30, a PWM controller that is very adjustable, both for voltages & times. It has worked well, and is less expensive than the 3000i. With a system using a 12V panel (what is installed on Escapes) the advantages of a MPPT are questionable. I would get the temperature sensor for the batteries.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:11 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
With a system using a 12V panel (what is installed on Escapes) the advantages of a MPPT are questionable. I would get the temperature sensor for the batteries.
If using an MPPT controller with a single panel, ore a bunch in parallel, would it not take advantage of the whole 18V most panels are at, and not just the voltage required for charging at the time? I realize this is minimal, but still would be nice to be able to use.

I will be running my 6 panels with three parallel sets of pairs in series, so my voltage will be at 36V, thus requiring an MPPT controller. I did also pay the couple bucks more for a battery temperature sensor. I also got a PC cable so I can use my laptop to set it up as it was cheap too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:53 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Like Jon I am using the Blue Sky Sun Charger 30 controller. I recall purchasing it and the optional temperature sensor from AltE. One of the compelling reasons for my purchase of this unit was the ability to fully charge my dual 6 volt batteries. All the comments from sclifrickson are correct as to the Blue Sky performance.

In comparing this model with the 3000 I would agree that the 3000 might be overkill for your needs. Blue Sky makes a remote monitor for their controllers but it does not appear to work with the Sun Charger 30, it will work with the 3000 however. I also have a Trimetric, I like it, but not sure it is worth the money and effort. However, it (or a remote monitor) does become useful if your solar controller has to be buried away in a cabinet or on the tongue and is not easily read.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:31 PM   #10

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
I'm planning to replace the Go Power charge controller with a Bogart SC2030 (PWM), plus their optional battery temperature sensor. The Trimetric TM2030 acts as a remote for the SC2030 and also increases its functionality.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:59 PM   #11

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If I remember right, the Blue Sky fills the hole of the GoPower, or close to it. The Bogart, which I have, is a different beast. The TM2030-A may be a decent option as opposed to the -RV, might be able to make a bezel for it as the GoPower is almost twice as wide. The SC-2030 is mounted separately, preferably by the batteries but within reach of the cables from the panels. They systems will do the job.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:03 PM   #12

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
If I remember right, the Blue Sky fills the hole of the GoPower, or close to it. The Bogart, which I have, is a different beast. The TM2030-A may be a decent option as opposed to the -RV, might be able to make a bezel for it as the GoPower is almost twice as wide. The SC-2030 is mounted separately, preferably by the batteries but within reach of the cables from the panels.

Right you are! My trailer hasn't been built yet. ETI agreed to put the Go Power controller inside of the seat and NOT cut a hole. Problem solved! ETI will prewire with cables I provide and the TM-2030A will go above the fridge. I'll switch out the Go Power and install the Trimetric after I pick up the trailer.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:28 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
Right you are! My trailer hasn't been built yet. ETI agreed to put the Go Power controller inside of the seat and NOT cut a hole. Problem solved! ETI will prewire with cables I provide and the TM-2030A will go above the fridge. I'll switch out the Go Power and install the Trimetric after I pick up the trailer.
It doesn't quite fit, however Blue Sky sells an adapter panel (listed at the bottom) that fills the larger hole made for the GoPower panel. While I've been told that you can carefully align the Sun Power 30 or 3000 over the GoPower cutout, the adapter makes it neater & easier.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:58 PM   #14

Well, thank you all for your contributions. For some reason, when I explored the Blue Sky website, I did not see the Sun Power 30. (Maybe it was PWM blindness). Anyway, it looks like a good option for us, as we have one 150W panel, and one 12V battery. Future changes might be adding a 150W panel, either on the roof or as a portable, and also going to a two battery setup. I've already modified the rear bumper area and have an additional battery box. The Sun Power 30 has the capacity, and so, is heading the list at the moment.
Their website indicated that the front panel can get quite warm, as it is the heat sink/radiator for the unit, so ventilation is Not a problem.