California winter camping - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2018, 02:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
California winter camping

We sure don't have Canada's winters (at least in California), I wrote this to Escape Service. Dave Warren's reply is below it.

"Hi. My 17 has foam insulation and an external shower. Sometimes we'll camp in the California Sierra winter down to 0 Fahrenheit. If we keep the cabin heated all the time is the only vulnerable part of the water system the external shower? If so, how to protect that part against freezing in that degree of cold? (if there is a way at all)?"

"Hi Jonathan, Thank you for your email.

As far as your question yes your exterior shower is at risk. That being said if you were to put some sort of insulation between the shower cover and the taps that would help insulate it.

Since the outside shower connection is under your sink I would leave that cupboard door open to get heat in there.

I hope this answers yur questions.
Regards, Dave Warren, Parts and Service Manager
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
I hope this answers yur questions.
Regards, Dave Warren, Parts and Service Manager

Answers are only as good as the question sometimes. http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...ping-7234.html

Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:13 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I fill my exterior shower compartment with insulation even after winterizing with rv antifreeze. It helps keep the cold out and the heat in. The same for my maxxfan o/h and the bathroom fan. Any ventilation is via a cracked thermal window.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:30 PM   #4

Good points about putting insulation into the maxx fan and shower fan compartments. Hadn't thought of that.
Jonathan
Old 10-12-2018, 07:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
If one was inclined to operate their water system from a heated city water hose or even pulling from an interior container via the winterizing T-valve (empty fresh tank) you would be mostly trouble free in very cold temps except for maybe the outside shower (and on some trailers the lines that unfortunately run underneath). Trailer remaining heated of course. If the shower is your only issue and you can access the lines you could always install 1/2" Sharkbite ball valves on supply and return with a drain fitting. That way the shower could be isolated and drained while the remainder of the system is left working. Obviously this assumes you also have a heat pad on the gray water tank, are just running it into a basin in the sink for disposal or are otherwise able to drain it off without issue.

www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-1-2-in-Brass-Push-to-Connect-Ball-Valve-with-Drain-22304-0000LF/202831909
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:11 AM   #6

Good suggestion! Thanks,
Jonathan