Camping World Propane Hose - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Camping World Propane Hose

When we picked up our 19, Escape had run out of hoses to connect to the quick disconnect outlet. We stopped in at a Camping World in Oregon and picked up what looked like the perfect solution: male quick disconnect on one end and a fitting on the other end that looks like the top of the one-pound disposable propane cylinders. I assumed I could connect this end to the regulator on my old Coleman stove. Everything seems to connect fine, but I get almost no flow at the Coleman burners. I thought maybe the issue was having two regulators in series (one on the Escape, the other at the stove) but a guy at a nearby propane supply company said this shouldn't be a problem. I tried calling Camping World which was pretty much a waste of time. Has anyone else used this hose with their Escape?
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
When we picked up our 19, Escape had run out of hoses to connect to the quick disconnect outlet. We stopped in at a Camping World in Oregon and picked up what looked like the perfect solution: male quick disconnect on one end and a fitting on the other end that looks like the top of the one-pound disposable propane cylinders. I assumed I could connect this end to the regulator on my old Coleman stove. Everything seems to connect fine, but I get almost no flow at the Coleman burners. I thought maybe the issue was having two regulators in series (one on the Escape, the other at the stove) but a guy at a nearby propane supply company said this shouldn't be a problem. I tried calling Camping World which was pretty much a waste of time. Has anyone else used this hose with their Escape?
Hi Parker! I don't think you want two regulators in series. This will surely affect propane flow. The hoses that Escape provides have no regulators, just the quick disconnect fittings on each end. I use these with my Coleman Q120 Barbeque but I first removed the regulator from the barbeque and installed a quick disconnect fitting. What type of Coleman stove do you have?
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
The quick-connect on the Escape is low-pressure, same as your inside stove and furnace. The Coleman stove requires the higher pressure propane. You will never get the pressure you need for the Coleman stove from the quick-connect.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #4

Parker, it sounds like you folks are on the road right now. If like santacruzer says you have a high pressure stove you can just buy a small propane bottle now to connect directly to the stove so you can use it during your trip. Have Escape send you the hoses you need when they get them. I bought three 15 footers from Escape.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 "Sunny" , tow - Highlander XLE
propane quick connect question

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
The quick-connect on the Escape is low-pressure, same as your inside stove and furnace. The Coleman stove requires the higher pressure propane. You will never get the pressure you need for the Coleman stove from the quick-connect.
I'm also trying to figure out how to use my quick connect propane.
This option sounded good when we were ordering, but we haven't figured out how to use it.
Can any of you suggest a low pressure portable stove that would work well for outside cooking?
Cozy Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
So I made a couple of bad assumptions. I thought the round fitting that screws onto the top of the one pound cylinders was a regulator and that the stove operated on low pressure, same as the stove in the Escape. Apparently that's just a fitting to connect bottle pressure straight to the burners. Hmmm. Now that I think about it, have a five pound propane tank and hose at home that I connect directly to the Coleman....with no regulator in the line. Which, of course works fine. So what do I do with this quick disconnect outlet on the Escape? Does it run a different kind of stove? And this Camping World hose.....do they intend that for use with high pressure straight from a tank connection? Apparently so.

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
What type of Coleman stove do you have?
It's an old, well used two burner stove designed for the one-pound disposable cylinders. I'll continue to use it that way for now. With the Escape line regulated down to 11" pressure, I'll have to look for a different stove I think.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
It's an old, well used two burner stove designed for the one-pound disposable cylinders. I'll continue to use it that way for now. With the Escape line regulated down to 11" pressure, I'll have to look for a different stove I think.
Hi Parker. That fitting that screws into the propane bottle is a fixed high pressure regulator that takes the bottle pressure down to the working pressure of the stove. Either propane bottles directly or a high pressure line is required to make the stove work properly. You cannot supply this from the Escape quick disconnect which is a low pressure supply.

On my trailer I use the low pressure quick disconnect to run my Coleman Q120 Barbeque or a CampChef Gas Fire Pit. For my stove (high pressure) I either use propane bottles or a hose I rigged up that connects directly to a tee on one of the large trailer propane bottles. I also have a low pressure stove but don't use it because the high pressure model is more adjustable, cooks better and stays lit during windy days so that is my stove of choice...
Old 06-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Hi Parker. That fitting that screws into the propane bottle is a fixed high pressure regulator that takes the bottle pressure down to the working pressure of the stove. Either propane bottles directly or a high pressure line is required to make the stove work properly. You cannot supply this from the Escape quick disconnect which is a low pressure supply.
Well, at least the mystery is solved now and I won't be running around looking for a problem that doesn't exist. We'll have to have a look at the available stoves, but you bring up a good point regarding low pressure stoves possibly being more susceptible to wind. We don't barbecue all that much, so I may just go back to the 5# portable tank. We're more likely to be boiling water for pasta or making pancakes outside than grilling.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #10

It's hot out here on the West Coast right now...stay cool and have a great trip back!

Steve
Old 06-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19 ft.
I bought a Nexgrill barbeque from Costco. Took the regulator off the barby and put a quick connect fitting on in its place. Works perfect.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The most common appliances run outside by low-pressure propane seem to be
  • barbecues which have an external regulator on the tank end of the hose (the hose is replaced by one with a quick-connect fitting, eliminating the regulator, as digger57 posted above)
  • barbecues sold specifically for this purpose, such as the RVQ (same as above, at a higher price and already set up for low pressure)
  • stoves which are moved between indoor and outdoor use, sometimes called a "carryout" stove (basically and indoor stove on a portable base, usually found in tent trailers a.k.a. popups)
The carryout stoves seem to be getting much less common. These make sense to me, not as an extra stove, but as a way to get double use out of one stove; however, the kitchen counter would need to be constructed to work with it, or the counter could just be plain with the stove sitting on top (and a low-pressure propane outlet either way). I have not heard of Escape offering such an option, and indeed it is very rare in travel trailers. A Jayco camping trailer web page shows a carry-out stove (hover over the "Stainless-steel, carry-out stove with wind deflectors" item in the list and a photo pops up).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #13

This has been a really helpful thread. I've been checking out some low pressure stoves on Amazon such as the Camp Chef Explorer. I think I might give one of those a try when we get home. The Camping World hose will probably go back, as I don't see much use for it in low pressure applications. Thanks, all!

Parker
Old 06-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
This is my preference for a camp stove. Butane stove seems to boil water in about half the time of propane. Canisters are about $2 each, but that is reasonable. Compact and light weight. I have two of them. Mine are Thunder Range. Comes in a plastic case. Should be able to find them almost anywhere - Canadian Tire type stores, RV, Korean grocery stores...
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2013-06-30 at 9.50.51 AM.png  
Old 06-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #15

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Parker, I have been using the Explorer this summer; except for the weight, which does make it very stable, I have been impressed. It has incredible flame power, and I was completely surprised by the grilling capability of the optional Barbeque Grill Box when placed over one burner. It is heavy, but it performs and the price is right...Glenn.
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
You should check out Century brand propane stoves.

Century Standard 2-Burner Camp Stove - Mills Fleet Farm

My Coleman wouldn't work on a bulk tank, but the Century does fine.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Butane stove seems to boil water in about half the time of propane...
The fuel doesn't matter much, since a stove can have any heat output regardless of fuel... although the flame temperature does depend on fuel, which matters if you're heat-treating metal with it or something.

The illustrated butane stove at Canadian Tire is rated at 8,000 BTU/hr; a sample single-burner propane camping (not RV) style stove and single-burner stove with grill are each rated at 10,000 BTU/hr. The problem is if you compare butane to something like the Coleman All in One Cooking Station, which looks like a nice unit but has only a 5,000 BTU/hr burner.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:51 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Yep. Can Tire and others also sell umpteen BTU BBQ's. They are just made with bigger ports in the burner.
But, theory aside, I get my coffee in the morning a lot faster using the butane stove to boil the water.
Of course, it is easier to simmer on the propane.
With three burners on the stove in the Escape and two propane stoves, and the BBQ, I have nothing but choices.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wray View Post
You should check out Century brand propane stoves.
If anyone is interested in the rest of the line, I found the manufacturer's web site: Century Outdoor Camping Products (makes me wonder what Indoor Camping Products would be like...)

I wanted to check out the instruction manual, but their link for instructions from the Customer Service page doesn't work.

Some of the Century stoves put the regulator/control on the end of hose (rather than the usual rigid metal tube), which raises the possibility of converting to low-pressure propane, but a control would still be needed, and I don't know if that is readily available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wray View Post
My Coleman wouldn't work on a bulk tank, but the Century does fine.
That's bizarre - there's no way for the stove to "know" that it's on a bulk tank rather than a disposable cylinder. Both are simply high-pressure propane sources, and the hoses and connectors to feed any of these stoves (that normally work from a disposable cylinder) from a bulk tank are readily available... they're usually called an "appliance" or "needle valve" fitting.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Yep. Can Tire and others also sell umpteen BTU BBQ's..
... and stoves. I guess the problem is that the burners on the travel trailer indoor stoves are just too small.