Checking sail switch in furnace - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2016, 12:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Checking sail switch in furnace

The furnace in our 2013 19' Escape quit on our last outing. It goes through the purge cycle, but shuts down before attempting to light. I strongly suspect the sail switch. Our local RV shop can't look at it for over a month, so I would at least like to check the sail switch in the interim. I've read various posts about this being a potential problem area. Has anyone here pulled the furnace and physically inspected/replaced the sail switch? The furnace is an Atwood 8012-11, which I believe ETI no longer installs in the 19. Thanks.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
...Has anyone here pulled the furnace and physically inspected/replaced the sail switch? The furnace is an Atwood 8012-11, which I believe ETI no longer installs in the 19.
I have not worked with this furnace, so I can't help with the details of the testing, but a couple of notes:
  • the model name is Everest Star 8012-II (roman numeral for "2", not "one-one")
  • this model is no longer installed in any Escape, because it has been discontinued by Atwood
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:55 PM   #3

Hi Brian. Thanks for the clarification on the model number. I guess I recall reading in a previous post about the furnace no longer being made/installed. I hope parts are still available.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I hope parts are still available.
There are many of these furnaces in use, so I don't think parts will be a concern for quite a few years. Some retailers were still selling them from inventory months after the manufacturer discontinued them - maybe they still are.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Hi Brian. Thanks for the clarification on the model number. I guess I recall reading in a previous post about the furnace no longer being made/installed. I hope parts are still available.
We also have the same furnace and year trailer . I believe even Amazon has the sail switch . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Here's a thread from last year on the same topic. Apparently the switch is easy to change out, but getting the furnace in and out is a bit of a challenge.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...12-a-5803.html
Old 10-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #7

I've since been searching the interwebs for parts, and it does appear that I can get a replacement, assuming that's the issue. I noticed one on Amazon with feedback "worked fine after trimming" so there appears to be one at least one that will do it. I'll give this a day to see if anyone else has changed the switch and then go ahead and get into it. I'll take some photos along the way. I put a new furnace in the Casita we used to have. It come from the factory with no furnace, but they were able to provide every last piece, down to the necessary pop rivets, to make a factory-looking installation. The scariest part was cutting the two large holes in the fiberglass body for the vent and intake. You can believe I measured for that a bunch of times, and then tested my location with a 1/16" drill before proceeding. I hope this furnace runs for a long time, or at the very least, a replacement updated model doesn't require new penetrations through the fiberglass.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Here's a thread from last year on the same topic. Apparently the switch is easy to change out, but getting the furnace in and out is a bit of a challenge.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...12-a-5803.html
Aha! I was searching for a thread like that and didn't find it. Thanks!
Old 10-10-2016, 04:32 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Aha! I was searching for a thread like that and didn't find it. Thanks!
No problem. By the way, the one on Amazon is the correct part number. The guy who says he had to trim it may have been trying it on another model:

https://www.amazon.com/36134-ATWOOD-.../dp/B00P80S2CK
Old 10-10-2016, 04:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
After reading that previous thread I asked an rv tech about it and he said when reinstalling they have someone inside to manipulate the angles while someone outside gives feedback to make sliding the "tailpipe" back into a very tight fitting easier.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:39 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
After reading that previous thread I asked an rv tech about it and he said when reinstalling they have someone inside to manipulate the angles while someone outside gives feedback to make sliding the "tailpipe" back into a very tight fitting easier.
Yep, makes sense. the tolerances are very tight, and another set of eyes comes in handy.