Clarification on Electrical System for Newbie - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2016, 09:44 AM   #81

Trailer: August 2017 17b
It's not just anybody who gets the redundancy [...a nickname I didn't want to add "2" to, when found sumac unavailable as an internet ID years ago] They are cool plants - Enjoy!
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:04 AM   #82

Trailer: 2017 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
JWS,
Maybe a/c for those hot desert nights in Utah?
Actually the desert cools down comfortably at night. However like most full-timers I intend to travel latintudinally and altitudinally for the best outcomes without A/C.
https://daysofnights.org
johnwarrensimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:09 AM   #83

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Only thing I'd really put some more thought in would be the AC, John. Seems your plans are to go on the road basically FT, and it will really begin to cramp your ability to travel to certain areas. As a full-timer, I personally wouldn't want restrictions placed on me because I didn't outfit my home for all scenarios. I didn't get AC on a townhome I bought in Denver years ago. Turned out to be a mistake and had to retrofit it years later. Gets freaking hot in Denver now in the summer. The desert doesn't cool off in the SW at night unless one considers high 90's cool after your trailer has baked at 110+ all day. Even the gorgeous shoulder seasons in the SW you can't do comfortably without AC.
Florida is not easy to get space in now unless you can go there in Sept/Oct Apr/May. No AC, you won't able to go to FL at those better times.
Just some feedback for you to chew on. If you were just going to be camping occasionally wouldn't be a big deal, but for living on the road I think if you don't get AC initially my money is on that you'll be retrofitting it down the road.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:47 AM   #84

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Well here we go again on the AC topic- after three years owning an Escape- first a used 17B from Bend, OR then our 21- neither have an AC and we don't miss it because of the way we camp. Just like the to-be from SLC, we pick the times and latitudes. We've been to AZ three times, twice in the Spring and once before Thanksgiving. Only one time- Death Valley mid-April did we even think about it yet it wasn't bad, and at least in the non-hookup area away from the monsters there weren't many people.

I tried ordering single-pane after double checking with the seasoned first owner of our 17B and he reiterated he did not regret not having them. Turns out half our windows were back ordered and by then too we muscled up on our tow so weren't needing to count calories and went with the dual pane after paying ETI to remove the three they installed I personally don't believe in any real benefit for either insulation or condensation but agree with the Hehr rep that sound attenuation is enhanced. The downside is potential fogging up when the seal goes south. It's all a tradeoff that each of us hopefully fully evaluates when doing the buildsheet for all options.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:58 AM   #85

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
: I personally don't believe in any real benefit for either insulation or condensation
I think many owners with double pane windows would disagree with you. In conditions that promote condensation, warm humid inside and cold outside, all you have to do is observe the difference between the front single glazed window and the double glazed windows.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:13 PM   #86

Having had both my experience is that there is a negligible difference.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:23 PM   #87

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I remember growing up before storm windows were standard items and having ice form on the condensation on the windows in our house, it was warm but drafty. I use to scratch my name in the ice on the windows while watching for my Dad to come home from work.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:38 PM   #88

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Having had both and remembering taking towels and wiping down the windows in the Casita many mornings I would disagree. We never have had to do that in the Escape.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:03 PM   #89

Still have to wipe the thermal windows- you don't?
Old 12-23-2016, 01:05 PM   #90

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Well here we go again on the AC topic- after three years owning an Escape- first a used 17B from Bend, OR then our 21- neither have an AC and we don't miss it because of the way we camp. Just like the to-be from SLC, we pick the times and latitudes. We've been to AZ three times, twice in the Spring and once before Thanksgiving. Only one time- Death Valley mid-April did we even think about it yet it wasn't bad, and at least in the non-hookup area away from the monsters there weren't many people.
I agree with you Ross, except the difference is the lifestyle discussion as it applies to AC. You're not full-timing and it's a different consideration if you live on the road and the trailer is your home. I wouldn't want restrictions on where I could go and when if I were full-time.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:07 PM   #91
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Having had both my experience is that there is a negligible difference.
I spent thousands of dollars to get a trailer with dual-pane windows and have had ZERO regrets. Shoulder season in Oregon, where it's wet and cold outside, means wet and warm inside a trailer with single-pane windows. Those dang windows in my Scamp were a PITA. Everything got wet, the back/top of the cushions, curtains, even the air felt damp. Mop, mop, mop. Wipe, wipe, wipe. ICK and yes I know about ventilation and being careful about cooking pasta, etc. No MORE!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:12 PM   #92

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Still have to wipe the thermal windows- you don't?
This is dependant primarily on temperature differences, and of course the relative humidity inside. In our 19 I found with two of us and temps just below freezing, if we kept the thermostat at 10°C, with a vent cracked, it was minimal. Cook in there at those temps without good ventilation, and condensation really builds.

We also keep the blinds open at those temps to improve airflow on the glazing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:17 PM   #93

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
10C / 50 F

I think I'll stay home.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:51 PM   #94
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
The thermal windows do make a difference in condensation. I don't think there's much question about that, because we've observed it. The only window that gets water on the inside is our uninsulated front window. We can also feel it. Sitting near the front window on a cold night, you notice the cold more than sitting on the bed near an insulated one. And, while I don't think the Reflectix is very effective, it does cut down on the noise a bit, and is certainly better than no insulation at all.