Cold weather camping - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2016, 08:51 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We have camped several times in below 0 F temperatures
The coldest was 17 below zero F. Our water system was drained and winterized. We hauled jugs of water in our vehicle and used RV antifreeze for flushing the toilet. When temps get that low every thing tends to freeze , so we carry very little with us except for frozen food , alcohol and plenty of propane.
I'm such a sissy! You are a Hearty Sole

Old 03-12-2016, 09:08 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Thanks Steve. I'm hoping to not have to rewinterize, but sure would in the temps you're talking about. We may just need to change our plans and stay further south if the forecast stays the same

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:30 AM   #13

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Thanks Steve. I'm hoping to not have to rewinterize, but sure would in the temps you're talking about. We may just need to change our plans and stay further south if the forecast stays the same
The problem for us is we live too far north to get out of the cold quickly. When we left home on or trip south it was about
25 below F ,17 below where we camped the first night and 7 below on the second night.
When we finally got to Alabama there was snow in the ditches.
We have camped for 3 or 4 days when the lows were in the teens and highs in the 30's to 40's .
Living in Wisconsin you realize how short our summers are so we do some Spring and Fall camping to extend the season.
We are up to a sunny 48 deg this morning and I am outside enjoying the warm weather . Ice on the lakes is showing signs of starting to go ,maybe 2 more weeks and it will be gone . Only about 14" of ice is remaining. Been a very mild Winter!!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:58 AM   #14

Trailer: None
It is truly a strange time of the year .On the North end of our lake they are ice fishing and on the South end they are out in boats fishing. It got into the 60's yesterday , next week we are supposed to get a bunch of snow. Spring is a great season.

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote