Disappearing removable power cord? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2020, 09:49 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Disappearing removable power cord?

Has anyone had the removable power cord disappear during a camp out? Is is secured to the Escape in any way?
Rich30039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Have not heard of one being stolen, only left behind. A short piece of stranded cable with an end closed down with a ferrule so it couldn’t slip off placed around the cord with the other end locked on to the camper stabilizer would discourage Johnny Sneakum as long as he didn’t have tools. Some electrical boxes which service single sites have a cutout a the bottom of the lid. If the box will close over the cord while plugged in many boxes are lockable. If you had another lock that matched the ones on your front box it could be done. Think spare keys in the glove box of your tow rig.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-17-2020, 10:02 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich30039 View Post
Has anyone had the removable power cord disappear during a camp out? Is is secured to the Escape in any way?
No & No
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I can't think of any reason someone would steal it. Not a very big resale value, I would think.

Not that anything is not possible, it is just the kind of thing I would bother worrying about.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:33 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I can't think of any reason someone would steal it.

Because they forgot theirs at the last campground?
Old 01-17-2020, 10:43 AM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I've never heard of one being stolen. There is probably a greater likelihood of disconnecting it and setting it aside and then inadvertently leaving it behind, although it is bright yellow and would be hard not to notice. I've been known to do dumber things than that, though

I also carry a standard 30 amp RV extension cord - rarely need it but for those rare times a power plug is out of reach of the standard cord it has come in handy. I picked up a pigtail adapter that would plug into the end of it and allow it to plug into the twist-on connector on our trailer and use it in case anything ever happened to our regular removable cord.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Adapter.jpg  
Old 01-17-2020, 11:12 AM   #7

Trailer: 505 5.0TA
My neighbor had one walk away at a bluegrass festival in CO. He had it set out, not in use. This lock will fit nicely over the wire along with one end of a cable loop, other cable loop around the frame/bumper. Sorry, no pic of my setup. Here is a lock pic.
Attached Thumbnails
5277df62-dd04-4926-9e8d-417c4f98f36c_1.4e6b7079a7ae3dbbd9b2368eceaf271b.jpeg  
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If anyone leaves any camping gear behind, well.......

Besides, then it is not stealing. [emoji6]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-17-2020, 02:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 "Escape Pod" (November 30 2018)
On our last trip our neighbor was having a hard time maneuvering out of his site. His wife was guiding him from the passenger side of the trailer and luckly noticed they forgot to unplug the cord just as it became taut! Made us triple check before leaving..
GoCampBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
I can't think of any reason someone would steal it. Not a very big resale value, I would think.

Not that anything is not possible, it is just the kind of thing I would bother worrying about.
My friend just had his rental property broken into. They smashed the wall to steal a majority of the copper plumbing. They also cut 3' of the main electrical service coming into the house.
All in all, they stole $4 worth of cooper scrap.

So what's a cord worth, $0.75 in scrap to the wrong person.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
My friend just had his rental property broken into. They smashed the wall to steal a majority of the copper plumbing. They also cut 3' of the main electrical service coming into the house.

Those meth tweakers are not much for being up on scrap metal prices. I have some classic scrap metal and electrical wiring theft tales from 32 years of managing public property. Always hoped we would find one of those idiots close to the main control panel early in the morning but never did.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-17-2020, 05:56 PM   #12

Trailer: 505 5.0TA
Quote:
If anyone leaves any camping gear behind, well.......

Besides, then it is not stealing. [emoji6]
We noticed a fellow camper two spots across driving off with their giant generator chained to a tree... how did they miss that while packing Was heading to the truck to try and catch them when the campers next to the forgotten generator swarmed it. They busted the chain and hauled it off. Packed up to to make their prize permanent. I've never seen a big group pack up so quick!
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:47 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Freaking thieves
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:26 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I switched to a permanent power cord after having the removable one on my first 3 Escapes. I then installed a 15 amp supply port and use a 15 amp extension cord when camping. The only time I'll use the 30amp is in the hot months when a/c is needed. I find the 30 amp when cold is very awkward and bulky to use. The 15 amp is a lot nicer and pliable. If I leave it, no issue, easily replaced.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post

Kinda curious as to why you copied me making this post of your own? I don't really understand your thoughts. Sorry.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:40 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
See post#10, there seems to be a glitch here...?
Old 01-29-2020, 10:29 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:

👍👍 Life’s too short....
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:05 PM   #18

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Hate to admit I did that once, except mine was not the detachable sort. We were camped in the Everglades and headed to the Keys while it was still dark. I dumped, disconnected the water, and was hooked up for a speedy departure the night before. About a half hour later as the sun came up I realized there was a 25' long black cord following our camper. Fortunately all I needed to replace was the ground down plug at the end. If it was a detachable cord then I would probably have been one of those that left it behind unless it stayed attached to my camper.
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:08 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
If something can be taken, it will be. It doesn’t need to make a lot of sense why a thief will take something. We have the pre-attached cord. I will order it the same when and if we upgrade to a larger trailer.
Vicescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:09 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I personally would very respectfully disagree with some of the posts in this thread, or at least qualify why I disagree. Something might be taken if there is a thief in the area. Yes, there always will be thieves, but not every person is; most people are honest and would never take what does not belong to them. In my last 3 trailers I have ordered removable shore power cords or installed them myself after taking delivery. If a thief will take a power cord, then he/she will also walk off with a camping chair, a grill, a camp stove, a propane cylinder, a door mat, a cooler, or whatever. In the 15 or so years since I “switched” from attached cords to removable cords, I have not had one “walk away.” Plus I can honestly say I have yet to meet someone who has. I refuse to allow paranoia affect my choices. I cannot begin to imagine the hassle of grabbing the aforementioned items and locking them inside the trailer every time I want to wander away from my campsite. On the other hand, if I were out in the boonies at the end of a remote logging road I might be more inclined to secure my property. I probably wouldn’t want to camp in that type of a location anyway. I just do not find that most camping locations are teeming with thieves, or if there is someone with sticky fingers, detachable cords are at the top of their priority list. And in reality, the only difference between an attached cord and a detachable cord in potential for theft s a wire cutter.