Does solar really beat having a generator? - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2014, 01:20 AM   #91

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Does this option make any sense at all? Hard to see but there's crimping tags just past the screw. Come to think of it guess I could simply solder on a ring connector and use the screw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sol-d.jpg (66.7 KB, 20 views)

Old 10-24-2014, 01:30 AM   #92

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Come to think of it guess I could simply solder on a ring connector and use the screw.
Don't see why not. I usually crimp and then solder. Probably overkill but I've been doing it for years and never had a problem with any connector. Sort of belt and braces.

We're expecting a full report of your system output

Ron

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:26 AM   #93

Right, Ron, crimp and solder, and tape wrap to seal up grommet. Won't be pretty but does the job. Oh, and Mike, don't think I can't tell a Photoshopped vanilla wafer when I see one.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:50 AM   #94

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I think you have found your solution but for future reference that photo that you attached in Post # 90 appears to for an Anderson Power Pole connector. They come in different gauges and from the photo that is not discernible. Some electrical suppliers may carry them, probably have to purchase a bag of ten. Usually they are inside a square plastic sleeve and are keyed and colored for proper polarity. The attached photo is a 45 amp model.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anderson Power Pole.jpg (54.5 KB, 1 views)
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #95
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I think you have found your solution but for future reference that photo that you attached in Post # 90 appears to for an Anderson Power Pole connector. They come in different gauges and from the photo that is not discernible. Some electrical suppliers may carry them, probably have to purchase a bag of ten. Usually they are inside a square plastic sleeve and are keyed and colored for proper polarity. The attached photo is a 45 amp model.
You can also find the connectors at most any shop that deals with electric winches for vehicles. They're common to some some brands (like Warn.)

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #96

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Another connecting system that is worth considering is the use of Automotive SAE connectors. The larger size came on my 160 watt portable solar panel, & I used the surface mount version to connect the panel to my trailer. Here is the source I used.

I used item C for the cables & E to feed the trailer. Because of interaction problems between the two controllers, I added a set of connectors before the controller on the portable panel & feed it to the input of the built in GoPower controller. I left the connector after the portable panel controller so I can still use the panel either with or without its controller.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:37 PM   #97

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Jon, those are the connectors that my external charger uses too. I also noticed the portable solar panels that Baglo got from Canadian Tire also uses those. Amazon has dual ended connections in 10 gauge wire too, but no that nifty surface mount jack. The jack looks like it could be mounted right onto one of my 6v battery boxes.
SAE 10 gauge

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:01 PM   #98

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Another connecting system that is worth considering is the use of Automotive SAE connectors.
I've seen those referred to as "bullet" connectors. I have found they are generally lousy connectors, prone to corrosion and not reliable... but they are certainly readily available. I can't see wanting to use them myself, but if I did for convenience I would want the connections protected from moisture for reliability.

Although named for SAE, which was formerly the Society of Automotive Engineers, I've never seen them used in an automobile except for trailer wiring... and neither the SAE standard for commercial trailer connections (J560, introduced in 1951 and still current) nor the SAE standard for "Automotive or RV, 7 Position, Self Draining Trailer Tow Connector Interface" (J2863, what most travel trailers including all Escape have) uses this type of connector or terminal.

The Wikipedia DC connector page has a decent roundup of DC power connection options (including the SAE connector and the Power Poles mentioned earlier).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:51 PM   #99

Right, my connector info and that picture are totally wrong. I see now, it is so easy to forget what's going on and to be mesmerized by the plug and play cookie monster. My thinking here was way-way over-connected. I've been worrying about Y-connectors and male/female plugs and spending money on stuff I really do not need.

Back to Wiring 101:
  1. Want to book and wire up two panels in parallel, then run their plus and minus wires to the solar converter. I only need connections that will separate the 28 foot run from the panels, and, from the converter. Everything else is fancy bull-hockey.
  2. Solution: Simply use plain vanilla crimp-loops, and solder, and wrap it with electrical tape everywhere except for at (1.) above.

Yah, I should also take a Soldering 101 course. It's ugly but secure, and will be hidden by pretty green tape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solar-p5.jpg (52.4 KB, 27 views)
Old 10-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #100

Just finished making a bracket stand for the booked panels. The horizontal piece telescopes up into the two vertical square tubes and will slide out to change the angle plus are removable when folding up the hinged panels for transport. Yet to be made is the carrying case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solarA3.jpg (82.9 KB, 37 views)