Does solar really beat having a generator? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #61

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Myron, I bought an 80W folding panel from this place and am happy with the quality of the panels. Eco-Worthy

It came with an attached inexpensive controller that can easily be bypassed for better ones. They have folding ones all the way up to 200W. Their prices seem to beat just about everyone else - I believe they are direct importers from China.

For us, the panel with get only occasional use, so I am going to try using their included controller at least for a while to see how it does. I bought thru their eBay site and was able to get it slightly cheaper there than from their website.

They sell both mono and poly models.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:29 PM   #62

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
Myron,
You won't be sorry investing in a solar charging system. It can provide a lot of freedom to use those 12 volt items with reckless abandon. It doesn't make sense to use a gennie to re-charge batteries. It takes too long, makes noise, and uses fuel. You also can't leave your generator charging while you're gone for fear of theft, just like portable solar panels.
I have been using 2 100w Renogy panels that I installed kick stands to make them portable. I had an upholstery shop sew up a custom case to store them face to face. The panels are not attached to each other which provides better placement options. Often I will only use one which will top off a 88% battery in about 2 hours of glowing silent sunny energy.
I opted to mount a Morningstar Tristar 45 MPPT on the trailer right next to the battery. It will properly charge any battery, but may be considered overkill for only a 2 panel system.
By mounting the controller near the battery, your wire runs out to the panels can be smaller gauge than if mounted on the panels. I used 8 ga. twin lead marine cable which is sheathed with white vinyl, and is very flexible and handles well.
For terminations I chose the standard MC4's to connect the panels. They are weatherproof and do not void the panel warranty. The opposite end got the Anderson connectors sized to fit the wire gauge.
The controller is mounted in a plastic NEMA box mounted on the trailer tongue. It also houses a mini circuit breaker panel and a shunt for the Trimetric battery monitor.
Everything has been working impressively.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:51 PM   #63

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I believe that all flooded batteries that Escape installs are ventilated.
I'm sure that all of the battery installation are ventilated... sufficiently to avoid a dangerous build-up of hydrogen gas. Sufficient ventilation to dissipate the heat of high charge rates or charging at high voltage is another matter.

Although some owners choose to use valve-regulated (VRLA) batteries - such as the AGM - I think all of the battery choices offered by ETI (one group 27 12V, one group 29 12V, or two one "golf cart" 6V) are of the flooded type... so they will consume water.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #64

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
]The built in WFCO charger will only fill your batteries to 76% of their useful capacity.
Paul I'm having trouble understanding why the WFCO will not charge more than 76% for dual 6v batteries. I understand that an ideal charging voltage will maximize the life span of the batteries. For example I have read the ideal charge rate of NiMh batteries is a current that is 1/2 the rated capacity of the battery - that that rate of charge makes them last the longest - ie a 2000 mAh rated battery charged at 1000 mA. But if you charge them at a lower current, it takes longer to charge (and may not give you the longest battery lifespan), but it eventually gets the battery to its capacity.

So wouldn't a lower voltage (as long as that voltage is at least say 13- 14v) with a decent amount of amps, get our dual 6vs to their capacity - but it just takes longer to get there?

I know I didn't pay nearly enough attention to chemistry in college so maybe there is something about the chemical reaction going on inside lead acid batteries during charging that explains it? Or maybe my aging brain is just missing something simple.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:50 PM   #65

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Generators are like plastic bags in grocery stores: they need to go away-especially in campgrounds. I would be as embarrassed with using one as I would cranking my Bose Soundwave. With the technology that exists, most people can do without a generator. Just takes time for the innovation to diffuse through society unfortunately.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:05 PM   #66
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Generators are like plastic bags in grocery stores: they need to go away-especially in campgrounds. I would be as embarrassed with using one as I would cranking my Bose Soundwave. With the technology that exists, most people can do without a generator. Just takes time for the innovation to diffuse through society unfortunately.
Last time I camped in California people ran their tow vehicle engines to charge up their batteries if they didn't have a generator since there were no electric hookups in the state campground.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:08 PM   #67

Trailer: Looking again...
Quote:
Although I tend to agree with you, what are the options when camping during several days of overcast rainy skies with no power available ? How good is solar now during constant overcast grey days ? Our trailer is solar ready, but we won't be camping much where power is an option and unfortunately fall camping means rain/grey skies. I am seriously considering solar, but is the technology there yet for me to recharge the batteries during these conditions ?
Old 10-14-2014, 10:08 PM   #68

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Great now we're attacking plastic bags, what next....

Doug
Old 10-14-2014, 10:17 PM   #69

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan3089 View Post
unfortunately fall camping means rain/grey skies. I am seriously considering solar, but is the technology there yet for me to recharge the batteries during these conditions ?
For moderate power usage, yes...

The furnace fan is the big draw in fall weather. As long as you don't need to run the furnace a lot, you will get enough power from grey skies. Of course this doesn't answer "how much is a lot?" and "how grey?"...

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #70
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Doesn't take time. Takes money. 20 years of waiting and you'll still be in the dark. $20 trillion dollars and we'll all have our own nuclear power plant the size of a thumb drive we just plug in to power our stuff.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:22 PM   #71

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
I don't embarass as easily as you. Love my Bose. Don't have a generator but wouldn't hesitate to use one under appropriate circumstances if I did have one. I am also guilty of forgetting to bring a shopping bag to the grocery store on occasion, and leaving with my purchase in plastic bags. Finally, I have been known to work on projects related to development of oil sands. Do you think there is any hope for me?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:26 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan3089 View Post
Although I tend to agree with you, what are the options when camping during several days of overcast rainy skies with no power available ? How good is solar now during constant overcast grey days ? Our trailer is solar ready, but we won't be camping much where power is an option and unfortunately fall camping means rain/grey skies. I am seriously considering solar, but is the technology there yet for me to recharge the batteries during these conditions ?
For days 3-7 after pickup we were on WA 20 with overcast/rainy skies. With one 12V Group 29 battery it never got below halfway on the meter. Dual 6 volt option would be $175 more and give you another 50% + more amp hours. Or add another 12 volt later if you need it.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:29 PM   #73

Trailer: Looking again...
Quote:
For days 3-7 after pickup we were on WA 20 with overcast/rainy skies. With one 12V Group 29 battery it never got below halfway on the meter. Dual 6 volt option would be $175 more and give you another 50% + more amp hours. Or add another 12 volt later if you need it.
Wow - sounds good to me. I've got dual 6V so should be good for several days of low-moderate usage then. I'm going to get serious about the solar. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:29 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
I don't embarass as easily as you. Love my Bose. Don't have a generator but wouldn't hesitate to use one under appropriate circumstances if I did have one. I am also guilty of forgetting to bring a shopping bag to the grocery store on occasion, and leaving with my purchase in plastic bags. Finally, I have been known to work on projects related to development of oil sands. Do you think there is any hope for me?
I love cheap gas. On the other stuff I just find it weird that people go out to a beautiful natural area and bring their city stuff(music/tv), and then pretend there is nobody else around. I love cranking it but it seems pretty arrogant to do so with others nearby.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:32 PM   #75

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
The nice thing about living in Alberta is we can tow another unit behind our fifth wheel, I was thinking about a large diesel powered generator and a 500 gallon fuel tank so I never have to shut it off.

Doug
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2014, 10:47 PM   #76

Probably help that bonfire too no doubt.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:09 PM   #77

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
I love cheap gas. On the other stuff I just find it weird that people go out to a beautiful natural area and bring their city stuff(music/tv), and then pretend there is nobody else around. I love cranking it but it seems pretty arrogant to do so with others nearby.
Weird was not the word running through my mind one recent afternoon, camping in a well dispersed provincial campground, when I had to walk a fair distance to a neighbouring campsite to ask the youths there to turn down their rap music which was blasting expletives so loudly that my son and I couldn't hold a conversation....sorry, off topic, but still gets under my skin..........
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:14 AM   #78

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
While I prefer paper over plastic, I don't see it going away in grocery stores EVERYWHERE for some time. And although I have never used my Honda 2000 when camping, I would not be embarrassed to do so. Nor would I be embarrasses to wear a pink shirt, a bow tie, or drive an Edsel. Each to their own. But Charlie, with nuclear power being so controversial, can we please spend our billions on a mini-hydroelectric dam that will generate megawatts and fit in a Tupperware container! Seriously, solar isn't any good in a hot, sunny climate if you absolutely need A/C, and a generator isn't any good if you don't have fuel to run it, or it won't start. I don't think anything should be banned because some individuals may not like whatever it is (plastic bags, generators, tobacco products, chewing gum, etc.). It's been said before, but what we need is more consideration of the needs of others when we go about satisfying our own needs. OK....time to shut up, Carl. You've said enough, maybe too much.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #79

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
On this past Thanksgiving long weekend, I camped 3 nights that hit freezing every night, never used a gen set, and did not even set up my portable solar panel, and still had at least another night or two use out of my dual 6V battery. Plus, one night there were just four of us, and instead of the usual camp fire, we sat inside with the heat up, and played cards.

I guess what I am saying, is that with moderation of the resources you already have, neither power source might be needed.

Quote:
...and bring their RVs, and other conveniences.

I too love music, but even for me it needs to be at a volume where conversation can still happen. It has been rare that I have seen a situation where the music was too loud, and never where people would not turn it down if asked nicely.

This is no different than gen sets, or A/C units. Though gen sets can be quiet especially if small and placed appropriately, A/C is usually the biggest culprit for noise when I have camped where it is used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
The nice thing about living in Alberta is we can tow another unit behind our fifth wheel, I was thinking about a large diesel powered generator and a 500 gallon fuel tank so I never have to shut it off.

Doug
Wow, I am following you around. Let the party happen.
Quote:
Probably help that bonfire too no doubt.
Don't need it for Alberta bonfires. Here is one we had out camping at our rec land.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #80

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I guess what I am saying, is that with moderation of the resources you already have, neither power source might be needed.
I have had the exact same thought, before and, now, after my decision to spend my money on solar as the hedge against going to minus in the DC department. We've so far never stayed at one campsite more than 3-4 days straight. Our frugal power needs have thus far protected the sixes.... but... there's always that chance, right? Like the fella once said, you always need an ace in the hole.

Just ordered a Morningstar Sunsaver. Currently finding out how expensive 10 gauge wire is, and pondering great panel advice from this Forum. I should also add the whole thing is just a great ride!