Does solar really beat having a generator? - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2014, 01:16 AM   #51

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Thanks for the clarification Doug.

Glen, Confronting or politely speaking to our fellow campers about their behaviour can truly suck and, in the case you've described cold have just escalated things.

LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:39 AM   #52

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Don't want to digress too far from generators, BUT, you reminded me of the greatest payback I ever saw at a campground. A couple was up LATE talking outside their tent. Everyone (myself included) were PO'd but held our mud. At 730 or so, a friend got his bugle and stood 5 feet from their tent and blew the most beautiful reveille you ever heard!

Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:53 AM   #53

Trailer: Escape 19' 2011
Last spring in we camped outside Boulder City, NV. Nice campground and found a nice site. About 11:00 a very obnoxious group pulled in next door. Loud, vulgar, drunk, obnoxious sugared up kids, and way too many for the campsite. Asked them to quiet down, campground quiet time, but were only cursed at. Park host was no help at all. We got up and left early. When hooking up, another camper pulled his truck up to their site and continually pressed the "panic" button. No response from the obnoxious ones but made us feel better.

We have 6 or 8 stories of "interesting" camping experiences from over the years, both tent and trailer. Dredging up a remembered phrase will now set both of us to laughing.

In our Shasta we have two 12V batteries for a total of 160 Ahr, so some 80 Ahr usable. We don't have solar or a generator so depend of full hookups for charging. Without hookups we can last about 3 days with heavy furnace use, in the teens (degF) at night (on maybe 1/3 of the time). We use the ceiling fan sparingly when hot so can go for quite a while. I think with heavy fan use we could go 3-5 days. If we don't use furnace or fan we can go a very long time, the only loads are LEDs, water pump & minimal electronics changing.

In our 19' with solar I'm thinking we can go indefinitely with fan use, or even with using the furnace (i.e. not winter). With a 160 w panel I'd expect to get up to 60 Ahr a day. That should keep up with our 25 Ahr use if it's sunny. If not, well we don't know yet. We'll check this over the next few years.

A Trimetric battery monitor goes a long ways in helping us effectively use our batteries in both trailers.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Don't want to digress too far from generators, BUT, you reminded me of the greatest payback I ever saw at a campground. A couple was up LATE talking outside their tent. Everyone (myself included) were PO'd but held our mud. At 730 or so, a friend got his bugle and stood 5 feet from their tent and blew the most beautiful reveille you ever heard!
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #54

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Living in SoCal, we're always having one calamity or another. Either its an earthquake, fire, locust plaque, or whatever and keep the trailer semi-ready just in case.

I've wondered how much solar power and battery storage I might need to run our 4.7 refrig 24/7 assuming plentiful sun.
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #55

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
If you know the model Greg, you can figure out (roughly) how many amp hours it would use per day. But, that will vary based of course on the duty cycle. From that you could get a good estimate of how much power you'd need.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:56 PM   #56

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Great, good responses, both sides of the issue. Thanks - I'm sold....and going Solar. Best fits my needs. Have begun surfing the net for wisest components, shall cob together my own personal kit.

I'm liking the Morningstar SSD-25RM Sunsaver controller. Remote monitor? Hoping to find two 80 watt panels I can book and make a traveling case for, -may settle for two 60's.
60 feet total of -um-10 or 12 gauge wire, in two sections? I notice the kits use 14 gauge. Anderson connectors?
Old 10-13-2014, 04:39 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Great, good responses, both sides of the issue. Thanks - I'm sold....and going Solar. Best fits my needs. Have begun surfing the net for wisest components, shall cob together my own personal kit.

I'm liking the Morningstar SSD-25RM Sunsaver controller. Remote monitor? Hoping to find two 80 watt panels I can book and make a traveling case for, -may settle for two 60's.
60 feet total of -um-10 or 12 gauge wire, in two sections? I notice the kits use 14 gauge. Anderson connectors?
You're right Myron, most of the kits use 14 gauge wiring. They also use small alligator clips and you have to connect to battery terminals directly. You could always wire your own connectors though.

If you wanted to go all out, this one is the highest wattage I've seen in the folding suitcase type - 200 watts. Can be had for under $900 and includes the controller:

NEW - Zamp Solar 200 Watt Portable Solar Kit.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:43 PM   #58

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Take a look at the Blue Sky 30 solar controller. It was one of the few controllers I found that could charge dual 6 volt Interstate batteries at the proper level. Interstate recommends a charge rate of 15.3 volts.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:10 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Take a look at the Blue Sky 30 solar controller. It was one of the few controllers I found that could charge dual 6 volt Interstate batteries at the proper level. Interstate recommends a charge rate of 15.3 volts.
Not even the Blue Sky 30 will give you the Interstate "recommended" absorption or equalization voltages. But their MPPT technology in some of their other chargers will provide a boost to that level.

A couple of things to be aware of though when charging at higher volts ( and this is from my Dad who has a background in electrical engineering and is far more knowledgeable on this than I am):

1- charging at higher levels will increase heat. The batteries should be ventilated, and if they're in your storage box they won't be.
2- charging at higher levels means the batteries will consume more water, so more maintenance. My Dad says charging at 15.4 instead of 14.4 can increase the water consumption rate by as much as 50%.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:05 PM   #60

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Those are good points about charging at high rates. I believe that all flooded batteries that Escape installs are ventilated. That would be a requirement of RVIA and/or its Canadian counterpart and the other compliance standards that they use. Water loss is going to occur at a more rapid rate with high charge rates, which is something that needs to be monitored on any flooded battery system.

The Blue Sky Sun Charger 30 does indeed charge at the Interstate recommended rates, it is adjustable up to 15.5 volts. Likewise it is also adjustable as to the equalization rates recommended by Interstate. The two most important benefits of charging at the recommended rate are: improving the "run" time of your battery by having it completely charged and longer battery life.

The built in WFCO charger will only fill your batteries to 76% of their useful capacity. This thread discusses this further. If you are boon docking for an extended period this is significant. Studies have shown that batteries should not be allowed to drop below 50% charge at the risk of shortening battery life. These same studies have found that keeping your batteries above the 75% charge level will double their life expectancy over using the 50% charge level.

fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote