Does solar really beat having a generator? - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #121

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
K.I.S.S. is also my favorite rule.

Did a field test in the back yard this afternoon.
  • Morningstar remote display (MRD) at dinette at 2 PM solar panels showed 5.08A, no load in trailer, and Xantrex was showing 13.0 volts.
  • At 3 PM MRD showing 3.90A, 6.90Ah and 5.12A MAX. Xantrex showing 14.2 volts and then the MRD jumped to 4.60A.
  • I then turned the fridge onto battery power, 3 dots. Xantrex drops to 13.1 volts.
  • At 3:10 PM the MRD battery display indicated 12.85; 7.00Ah; 12.34 min. and; 14.30 max.
  • At 5 PM the (unmoved) panels were now in the shade and the MRD is showing .04A, 12Ah and; 5.2A MAX, and battery at 13.08 volts.

I should mention I was expecting the Morningstar remote's 32 page instruction booklet to be some serious stuff but that booklet turns out to be 9 pages of English, the rest in other languages. Very disappointing and no, I have not yet become comfortable with what I just listed above.

Unpacking the panels was quick. Connecting up the support brackets a tad slow but no problem. Panels set to default position of 30°. Using the outdoor carpet makes sense. My connectors and that 30 feet of 10 gauge wire proved a little ornery but very manageable.
Attached Thumbnails
sol-1B.jpg  
Old 10-30-2014, 09:41 PM   #122

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
so laying flat is not bad at all.
Not at all, it's a compromise, not the most efficient but works. The other compromise position is inclined and oriented South. It doesn't work for as many hours in the day but it's more efficient when it's working. (insolation)

Myron, good first test. You missed your time today of maximum output for your location so the readings will be a little lower than you can expect tomorrow at 12:50, your local noon.

For a fixed panel mount it's pretty much like the warning for UV exposure. Maximum intensity between 10 and 2.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:57 PM   #123

Ron... You will, of course, post pix of your tube-in-a-tube-on-an-adjustable mount.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:07 AM   #124

Of course, I post photos of everything I make

I've been actively looking at panels and trying to decide what the trade off between 100W and 150W is on the ability to mount on a fully adjustable mount.

One note of caution for portable panels. I lost mine at the Moab meet when a freak gust of wind flipped them over and smashed them. They were pretty heavy panels and the last thing I ever expected is that wind would send them flying.

Ron
Old 10-31-2014, 02:50 AM   #125

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If anyone is getting in deep enough into care about the best angles, at the bottom of the page this link goes to are a Solar Angle Calculator and Solar Irradiance Tables.

Solar Calculator | Irradiance and Angle Calculators

Of course if you use the readings for New Mexico but drive to BC all bets are off.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:41 AM   #126

Didn't know your panels got broke at Moab...bummer that! Wondering now if I should pack a cinder block, or a custom tent peg anchor as a hedge against it happening to me.

Very usefull stuff, Pad. In the spirit of KISS for now think I'll rely on eyeballing the sun for orientation.

I really wanted 160 watts but settled for the two 50 watt panels because of their smaller size, lower price, and I could always buy a third 50-watter, later. Oh, and because Corrales Dave's doing just fine with his 85 watts kit.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:20 AM   #127

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I always like to do more with less. So when my portable solar panels arrived I used the attached legs but was frustrated with the flimsy construction and difficulty closing the panels with the legs often catching on the cable. Also the panels were quite heavy, even with the handy carrying handle.

Off with the legs and a quick adaption to an available bag chair. Now I have reduced the weight of the panel and am using something that has another purpose, plus I already carry the chair. The angle turns out to be just about correct and it is easy to drag and move.

I was concerned about the wind catching the panel so with some holes drilled into the panel and some heavy cord loops I used some gear ties that I found at Target to loop the panel into the chair.

Everything is easily ported and setup.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0232.jpg   Gear Tie.jpg  
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:55 AM   #128

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I really wanted 160 watts but settled for the two 50 watt panels because of their smaller size, lower price, and I could always buy a third 50-watter, later. Oh, and because Corrales Dave's doing just fine with his 85 watts kit.
I really think this should be adequate. I can't see going much bigger myself. Right now I rarely use anything, and do fine with 4 nights without topping up the batteries, and when I feel like I may need it, I have deployed my single 40W panel, and it helps quite a bit.

Unless your electrical usage is really high, I would think a total of 100W would be more than adequate, especially if you can optimize their performance.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:58 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Didn't know your panels got broke at Moab...bummer that!
Yes, when most of us went out for dinner a real freak blast of wind blew through. It disrupted a lot of people's stuff. What's even more puzzling is that before we left I moved them several feet back and as well as being supported by the stand they were also resting against the tongue box.

I wouldn't carry the extra weight of a cinder block but in areas prone to wind gusts I'd consider taking them in or using something at hand to protect them.

Ron
Old 10-31-2014, 12:30 PM   #130

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I always like to do more with less. So when my portable solar panels arrived I used the attached legs but was frustrated with the flimsy construction and difficulty closing the panels with the legs often catching on the cable. Also the panels were quite heavy, even with the handy carrying handle.

Off with the legs and a quick adaption to an available bag chair. Now I have reduced the weight of the panel and am using something that has another purpose, plus I already carry the chair. The angle turns out to be just about correct and it is easy to drag and move.

I was concerned about the wind catching the panel so with some holes drilled into the panel and some heavy cord loops I used some gear ties that I found at Target to loop the panel into the chair.

Everything is easily ported and setup.
Paul, I have those Gear Ties and they are handy for all kinds of things. Secure lower doors for travel. I even wrapped a cell phone with one and made a hook to hook over the flip-down table to plug into a 110 there. They grab the phone well.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:35 PM   #131

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While they can break, I had my 160 watt portable panel blown 30' down into a gully filled with rocks. I had 2 10 lb rocks holding (well, I thought they were holding) the frame to the ground. Fully expected to find it shattered, but even though the glass face was resting on a good size rock, all was well - still works! The same sudden wind storm blew the dish antenna off the trailer next to me & pushed a boat on a trailer (wheels chocked) across a parking lot and almost into a lake.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:46 PM   #132

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Wow, I am thinking some partial filled sand bags as it sounds as though there can be too many instances of high wind.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:44 PM   #133

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
To avoid carrying weight of anchors, many people who use portable folding shelters (vendors at farmer's markets, for one random example) use water-filled containers. If the camping location has a water source (doesn't need to be potable) and a place to dump the same water (doesn't need to handle waste water), then you can carry just the lightweight empty container, and get your ballast on-site.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:58 PM   #134

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Another solution may be to bring some lightweight screw type ground anchors with you. Maybe something like this kit used for trampolines:

Trampoline Anchor Kit, Spiral Screw - Model ANJ-S-10625A - TrampolinePartsCenter.com

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:34 PM   #135

I like the sand bag idea. Could store them empty in the tongue box and fill with rocks found on site. Only thing is if a really big wind roars through them panels could still end up like Jon's, in a gully. Them screw anchors look good, except maybe for here in the southwest where the ground has been known to dull steel.
Attached Thumbnails
Sky-10.jpg  
Old 10-31-2014, 04:36 PM   #136

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
C'mon Myron. Explain that picture.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:58 PM   #137

Ok Ok, picture taken at the point of the black arrow on a feast day at the Pueblo. It's a heads up for visitors at the parking lot taking the bus (or climbing the rocks, like I did) up there to watch. Them Indians are very protective of their native rituals.

I know this for a fact because the same day while driving back the 10 miles(?) to I-40, across the plain, I stopped on the road to shoot a rock formation--- before I knew it an Indian policeman raced up from nowhere to remind me not to step off the road to take my picture. I assured him I had no intention of doing that --I'm afraid of snakes. (He laughed.)
Attached Thumbnails
SkyCity.jpg  
Old 11-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #138

Found this at Tractor Supply, in the dog aisle. Clerk advised me screwing into the ground here-a-bouts is a bear.
Attached Thumbnails
solstake.jpg  
Old 11-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #139

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I expect that the auger type shown by Myron works better than the corkscrew type, but either could be very difficult to insert in many soil conditions. Still on the dog tie-out anchor theme, I have used a style which is a simple spike with a cap and swivel on the top; it is easier to put in (just drive with a hammer) and easy to take out (with a prybar). This spike style would need to angled appropriately to hold the panel down (rather than just restrain horizontally), but just like traditional tent pegs, it works.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #140

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I think I'll just take down my portable panels whenever it gets windy.....

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote