Does solar really beat having a generator? - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2014, 11:22 PM   #71

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Generators are like plastic bags in grocery stores: they need to go away-especially in campgrounds. I would be as embarrassed with using one as I would cranking my Bose Soundwave. With the technology that exists, most people can do without a generator. Just takes time for the innovation to diffuse through society unfortunately.
I don't embarass as easily as you. Love my Bose. Don't have a generator but wouldn't hesitate to use one under appropriate circumstances if I did have one. I am also guilty of forgetting to bring a shopping bag to the grocery store on occasion, and leaving with my purchase in plastic bags. Finally, I have been known to work on projects related to development of oil sands. Do you think there is any hope for me?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:26 PM   #72

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan3089 View Post
Although I tend to agree with you, what are the options when camping during several days of overcast rainy skies with no power available ? How good is solar now during constant overcast grey days ? Our trailer is solar ready, but we won't be camping much where power is an option and unfortunately fall camping means rain/grey skies. I am seriously considering solar, but is the technology there yet for me to recharge the batteries during these conditions ?
For days 3-7 after pickup we were on WA 20 with overcast/rainy skies. With one 12V Group 29 battery it never got below halfway on the meter. Dual 6 volt option would be $175 more and give you another 50% + more amp hours. Or add another 12 volt later if you need it.

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:29 PM   #73

Trailer: Looking again...
Quote:
For days 3-7 after pickup we were on WA 20 with overcast/rainy skies. With one 12V Group 29 battery it never got below halfway on the meter. Dual 6 volt option would be $175 more and give you another 50% + more amp hours. Or add another 12 volt later if you need it.
Wow - sounds good to me. I've got dual 6V so should be good for several days of low-moderate usage then. I'm going to get serious about the solar. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:29 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
I don't embarass as easily as you. Love my Bose. Don't have a generator but wouldn't hesitate to use one under appropriate circumstances if I did have one. I am also guilty of forgetting to bring a shopping bag to the grocery store on occasion, and leaving with my purchase in plastic bags. Finally, I have been known to work on projects related to development of oil sands. Do you think there is any hope for me?
I love cheap gas. On the other stuff I just find it weird that people go out to a beautiful natural area and bring their city stuff(music/tv), and then pretend there is nobody else around. I love cranking it but it seems pretty arrogant to do so with others nearby.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:32 PM   #75

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
The nice thing about living in Alberta is we can tow another unit behind our fifth wheel, I was thinking about a large diesel powered generator and a 500 gallon fuel tank so I never have to shut it off.

Doug
Attached Images
File Type: gif popcorn-and-drink-smiley-emoticon.gif (9.8 KB, 196 views)
PGDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:47 PM   #76

Probably help that bonfire too no doubt.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:09 AM   #77

Trailer: 19'
Quote:
I love cheap gas. On the other stuff I just find it weird that people go out to a beautiful natural area and bring their city stuff(music/tv), and then pretend there is nobody else around. I love cranking it but it seems pretty arrogant to do so with others nearby.
Weird was not the word running through my mind one recent afternoon, camping in a well dispersed provincial campground, when I had to walk a fair distance to a neighbouring campsite to ask the youths there to turn down their rap music which was blasting expletives so loudly that my son and I couldn't hold a conversation....sorry, off topic, but still gets under my skin..........
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:14 AM   #78

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
While I prefer paper over plastic, I don't see it going away in grocery stores EVERYWHERE for some time. And although I have never used my Honda 2000 when camping, I would not be embarrassed to do so. Nor would I be embarrasses to wear a pink shirt, a bow tie, or drive an Edsel. Each to their own. But Charlie, with nuclear power being so controversial, can we please spend our billions on a mini-hydroelectric dam that will generate megawatts and fit in a Tupperware container! Seriously, solar isn't any good in a hot, sunny climate if you absolutely need A/C, and a generator isn't any good if you don't have fuel to run it, or it won't start. I don't think anything should be banned because some individuals may not like whatever it is (plastic bags, generators, tobacco products, chewing gum, etc.). It's been said before, but what we need is more consideration of the needs of others when we go about satisfying our own needs. OK....time to shut up, Carl. You've said enough, maybe too much.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:25 AM   #79

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
On this past Thanksgiving long weekend, I camped 3 nights that hit freezing every night, never used a gen set, and did not even set up my portable solar panel, and still had at least another night or two use out of my dual 6V battery. Plus, one night there were just four of us, and instead of the usual camp fire, we sat inside with the heat up, and played cards.

I guess what I am saying, is that with moderation of the resources you already have, neither power source might be needed.

Quote:
...and bring their RVs, and other conveniences.

I too love music, but even for me it needs to be at a volume where conversation can still happen. It has been rare that I have seen a situation where the music was too loud, and never where people would not turn it down if asked nicely.

This is no different than gen sets, or A/C units. Though gen sets can be quiet especially if small and placed appropriately, A/C is usually the biggest culprit for noise when I have camped where it is used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
The nice thing about living in Alberta is we can tow another unit behind our fifth wheel, I was thinking about a large diesel powered generator and a 500 gallon fuel tank so I never have to shut it off.

Doug
Wow, I am following you around. Let the party happen.
Quote:
Probably help that bonfire too no doubt.
Don't need it for Alberta bonfires. Here is one we had out camping at our rec land.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #80

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I guess what I am saying, is that with moderation of the resources you already have, neither power source might be needed.
I have had the exact same thought, before and, now, after my decision to spend my money on solar as the hedge against going to minus in the DC department. We've so far never stayed at one campsite more than 3-4 days straight. Our frugal power needs have thus far protected the sixes.... but... there's always that chance, right? Like the fella once said, you always need an ace in the hole.

Just ordered a Morningstar Sunsaver. Currently finding out how expensive 10 gauge wire is, and pondering great panel advice from this Forum. I should also add the whole thing is just a great ride!