Dometic RM8551 insuffucent cooling - Page 23 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2015, 03:47 PM   #221

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Don't blame ETI, they're buying and installing currently available frigs. I've got a 1988 Scamp, it has a frig (3-way) that gets and stays cold.. as long as I pay attention to were the SUN is... the Dometic frig in the Scamp is no longer available
There are really two issues at play. The substandard err subnormal refer and ETI failure to follow the dometic installation instructions during the installation. Failure to insulate around the frig and building a baffle to obtain a one inch space behind the frig to create a good thermal chimney.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:49 PM   #222

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
There are really two issues at play. The substandard err subnormal refer and ETI failure to follow the dometic installation instructions during the installation. Failure to insulate around the frig and building a baffle to obtain a one inch space behind the frig to create a good thermal chimney.
Bob,
Well said .

Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:59 PM   #223

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Well for what's it worth they will work some effort. Just returned from 4 days of 95+ degree miserably hot camping. Fridge side of camper was in direct sun in the afternoon. Freezer was removed and only the Dometic fan running outside and a 12 volt fan running inside. All food was cooled down before putting it in the fridge. When we opened the fridge I would think about what we needed and get it all out in one opening and put anything that needed to go back in back before it had a chance to warm up. I would shut the 12 volt inside fan off before opening the door so as not to blow the cold air out.

Set on 4 bars we had a high of 36 degrees and a low of 32 degrees

I did get to work on a fridge but it was on a Casita and not mine for a change.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (133.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-12-2015, 02:03 PM   #224

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Dometic RM8551 insuffucent cooling

Tom, I think your post as well as many others proves one thing: there's nothing wrong with the cooling units on these fridges. The problem lies with a lack of insulation within the fridge cabinet itself (necessitating the addition of exterior added insulation), and inadequate airflow over the back. Really good to know it can be made to work. It's just a shame that it takes such mods to accomplish that.

C'mon Dometic. Sell a properly insulated T-rated fridge in North America.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Tom, I think your post as well as many others proves one thing: there's nothing wrong with the cooling units on these fridges. The problem lies with a lack of insulation within the fridge cabinet itself (necessitating the addition of exterior added insulation), and inadequate airflow over the back. Really good to know it can be made to work. It's just a shame that it takes such mods to accomplish that.

Yelp, basically I have made a T rated fridge.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:10 PM   #226

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Well for what's it worth they will work some effort. Just returned from 4 days of 95+ degree miserably hot camping. Fridge side of camper was in direct sun in the afternoon. Freezer was removed and only the Dometic fan running outside and a 12 volt fan running inside. All food was cooled down before putting it in the fridge. When we opened the fridge I would think about what we needed and get it all out in one opening and put anything that needed to go back in back before it had a chance to warm up. I would shut the 12 volt fan off before opening the door so as not to blo the cold air out.

I did get to work on a fridge but it was on a Casita and not my for a change.
Hi Tom . ? Your outside fan - how long did you run it . Remember I am in complete control of the fan . Should I watch temp back there until it reaches a temp ? Or turn it on and keep it going until it cools down outside at night . Any more idea's ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:13 PM   #227

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Well for what's it worth they will work some effort. Just returned from 4 days of 95+ degree miserably hot camping. Fridge side of camper was in direct sun in the afternoon. Freezer was removed and only the Dometic fan running outside and a 12 volt fan running inside. All food was cooled down before putting it in the fridge. When we opened the fridge I would think about what we needed and get it all out in one opening and put anything that needed to go back in back before it had a chance to warm up. I would shut the 12 volt inside fan off before opening the door so as not to blow the cold air out.

I did get to work on a fridge but it was on a Casita and not mine for a change.
Also Tom did you install the snip the tip ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:17 PM   #228

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post

While all of the data to date is antedotal, I'm coming to the same conclusion, Robert. The logic of better insulation and more effective and efficient airflow at the back of the unit is kinda hard to argue with.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:45 PM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Also Tom did you install the snip the tip ? Pat
I have not installed the snip the tip. I have just pulled the sensor out of the bracket and have it hanging in the air. When it was taped to the wall I think the wall affected it. Seems to work better just out in the air. (This one is for you Parker )

I would run the fans all day and shut them off when I went to bed and turn them back on in the morning.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:47 PM   #230

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Oh no. I hope Alf doesn't read your post.

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote