Dometic RM8551 insuffucent cooling - Page 14 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2016, 09:38 AM   #261

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
If I had the choice right now, the fridge is more than enough reason for me to buy the 2017. We have friends with the 8551 and they are seriously considering selling their Escape and buying a new one due to the fridge.

In my opinion the 8 series fridges are not adequate. The 2 door 8555 is better than the 1 door 8555 or the 8551, but still not good enough. All the extra insulation, fans, grills, etc help a bit but do not solve the problem.

If you are willing to use a cooler and/or not camp in temperatures above 90 then you may be satisified with an 8 series.
Hi: jamman... Since we couldn't attend the ETI Rally last weekend we camped locally. Kept a cooler full of "Barley sandwiches" and other beverages, and tried to stay out of the RML8551. It was on the sunny side of the trailer all weekend with temps in the low 80's. It performed to specs with rising temps at meal times and cooling down over night set on 4 bars. Mods I've done are move the thermister to below the cooling fins and plug the hole in the bottom of the door.
Now the abundance of fish flies was another matter. We went out Sat. am. and caught a pound of yellow perch and a pound of white perch. Pan fried on the hot plate at the table. YUMMM!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:40 AM   #262

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
Do folks camp in temps above 90° without A/C? I guess I did when I was a kid, but that was either on the ground or in a tent, hence the fact I have a TA with refrigerated air....
Although it may be cooler inside the trailer with a/c, the refer is "outside" in the heat, trying to cool things. I'm sure if you put your house refer out in the yard in the midday sun you will see a difference than normal.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:46 AM   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: jamman... Since we couldn't attend the ETI Rally last weekend we camped locally. Kept a cooler full of "Barley sandwiches" and other beverages, and tried to stay out of the RML8551. It was on the sunny side of the trailer all weekend with temps in the low 80's. It performed to specs with rising temps at meal times and cooling down over night set on 4 bars. Mods I've done are move the thermister to below the cooling fins and plug the hole in the bottom of the door.
Now the abundance of fish flies was another matter. We went out Sat. am. and caught a pound of yellow perch and a pound of white perch. Pan fried on the hot plate at the table. YUMMM!!! Alf
Golly, get a new kitchen and you are reduced to pan frying on a hot plate
Afraid of getting the new one wet?
Old 06-02-2016, 09:53 AM   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Golly, get a new kitchen and you are reduced to pan frying on a hot plate
Afraid of getting the new one wet?
Hi: cpaharley2008... Thanks...Don't rub it in!!! Won't be in the new "Kitch" till mid July. At the moment we have to go outside to walk thru the house, and we're dealing with the "Contractor run around" at the same time. Be there at 9... maybe noon... definitely tomorrow morning... well poss. noon again to finish rip out. I'M EXHAUSTED just talking to them on the phone. Alf
Old 06-02-2016, 11:40 AM   #265
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Dometic RM8551 insuffucent cooling

The fact that the fridge has an SN rating does not mean it won't cool adequately in most situations. Our 2 door RMD 8555 is also an SN rated fridge, and works fine. Just don't expect it to cool as well as an N rated or ST rated fridge (or equivalent) when it's above 90 outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2016, 09:29 AM   #266

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
I know this has been beat to death over and over but for what its worth we camped in 90+ degree weather this past weekend and I was able to keep the our RM8551 below 40 degrees even when traveling. At some points the outside temp hit 96 Friday while traveling.

As I have mentioned before I have made several mods to our fridge and the fridge compartment and did have the freezer compartment removed (which you cannot do with the Americana) to give added cooling to the fridge but was actually surprised with its performance in this kind of weather. I ran the cooling fan outside during the day and would drop the fridge temp down to 34 at night to help the next day.

One big thing while traveling is to make sure water is added to the drain cup outside so the air can not go up the drain tube and back into to fridge while traveling. When we left to come home I forgot to add water and the temp raised a couple degrees in the first 10 miles. I pulled over and added water to the drain cup and the temp held for the 4 hours we drove home and actually dropped 1 degree as we got close to home. I used propane going and 12 volt on our return trip.

I do carry a cooler and would use it for drinks so we could reduce the number of times the fridge was opened during the day.

In this kind of weather our Americana fridge in our Casita struggled too and that should be expected.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:02 AM   #267

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Had not heard about the drain cup needing water and have read almost all of these fridge theeads.Thanks for sharing that.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:29 AM   #268

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
I know this has been beat to death over and over but for what its worth we camped in 90+ degree weather this past weekend and I was able to keep the our RM8551 below 40 degrees even when traveling. At some points the outside temp hit 96 Friday while traveling.

As I have mentioned before I have made several mods to our fridge and the fridge compartment and did have the freezer compartment removed (which you cannot do with the Americana) to give added cooling to the fridge but was actually surprised with its performance in this kind of weather. I ran the cooling fan outside during the day and would drop the fridge temp down to 34 at night to help the next day.

One big thing while traveling is to make sure water is added to the drain cup outside so the air can not go up the drain tube and back into to fridge while traveling. When we left to come home I forgot to add water and the temp raised a couple degrees in the first 10 miles. I pulled over and added water to the drain cup and the temp held for the 4 hours we drove home and actually dropped 1 degree as we got close to home. I used propane going and 12 volt on our return trip.

I do carry a cooler and would use it for drinks so we could reduce the number of times the fridge was opened during the day.

In this kind of weather our Americana fridge in our Casita struggled too and that should be expected.
Tom , we had just about the same numbers with temp going up outside into the 100's , 102,103 ,last long trip . And we dropped down to 31 , I couldn't believe it . Same fridge after mods, some with your help . Didn't know you can't remove the freezer compartment on Americana . Liking my series 8 more and more . Didn't know about the water in cup either . We also if just by habit bring cooler . If for any reason your frig isn't working you have cooler for your food . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:08 AM   #269

There is a condensate cup on the back where water and ice that melts upon unplugging drain into. It connects to the interior drain via a clear tube. On some models people drained this water right thru the vent outside or thru an overflow in the refer compartment. But it seems that warm air can enter the refer compartment while traveling if the tube is exposed to air vs water. thus the need to make sure the cup always has some liquid. Another way to to form a "J" trap similar to your sink drain in the drain tube to keep water in the line and air out. After sitting for awhile this too will evaporate.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:32 AM   #270

Quote:
There is a condensate cup on the back where water and ice that melts upon unplugging drain into. It connects to the interior drain via a clear tube. On some models people drained this water right thru the vent outside or thru an overflow in the refer compartment. But it seems that warm air can enter the refer compartment while traveling if the tube is exposed to air vs water. thus the need to make sure the cup always has some liquid. Another way to to form a "J" trap similar to your sink drain in the drain tube to keep water in the line and air out. After sitting for awhile this too will evaporate.
Jim when I was in the back saw that little cup with water in it but didn't understand you want the water in there . I knew it was coming from frig that was draining there . Just didn't realize it's importance in helping with fridge temps . Makes sense though . Pat
Old 06-13-2016, 01:25 PM   #271

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Jim when I was in the back saw that little cup with water in it but didn't understand you want the water in there . I knew it was coming from frig that was draining there . Just didn't realize it's importance in helping with fridge temps . Makes sense though . Pat
You all are way ahead of me. I've taken my fridge out twice and have never seen a cup of any kind. Where exactly is it located?
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:54 PM   #272

I posted a picture of it earlier in this thread or the RMD thread. It sits right on top of the black propane tubing with a clear hose attached to it.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:03 PM   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
You all are way ahead of me. I've taken my fridge out twice and have never seen a cup of any kind. Where exactly is it located?
Jim beat me to it . That's it . The plastic cup is white or opaque. Pat
Old 06-13-2016, 03:01 PM   #274

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
seems like an easy enough thing to try.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #275

Quote:
I posted a picture of it earlier in this thread or the RMD thread. It sits right on top of the black propane tubing with a clear hose attached to it.
Thanks! I'll find it. Much appreciated.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:27 PM   #276

Quote:
You sure did! It's post #38 in this thread. The photo of the cup that "I have never seen ... " is of MY fridge. Oooooops, that's embarrassing.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:48 PM   #277

now that is funny.......ooopps!!!
Old 06-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #278

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
RE: There is a condensate cup on the back where water and ice that melts upon unplugging drain into. It connects to the interior drain via a clear tube.....it seems that warm air can enter the refer compartment while traveling if the tube is exposed to air vs water. thus the need to make sure the cup always has some liquid.

Include me with the newly educated. Just returned from weekend trip, checked and I got that cup. It was dry. My RM8551 performed fine on propane this weekend with one surprise. At 8 am start of the 281 mile trip home fridge at 4 dots was at 37°F, and at 4 PM it was an astounding 48°F. Looking like adding water to the cup needs to be on my trip check list.
Attached Thumbnails
FrigCup.jpg  
Old 06-14-2016, 01:37 PM   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
RE: There is a condensate cup on the back where water and ice that melts upon unplugging drain into. It connects to the interior drain via a clear tube.....it seems that warm air can enter the refer compartment while traveling if the tube is exposed to air vs water. thus the need to make sure the cup always has some liquid.

Include me with the newly educated. Just returned from weekend trip, checked and I got that cup. It was dry. My RM8551 performed fine on propane this weekend with one surprise. At 8 am start of the 281 mile trip home fridge at 4 dots was at 37°F, and at 4 PM it was an astounding 48°F. Looking like adding water to the cup needs to be on my trip check list.
Hi: MyronL... Some might say "Your cup runneth dry"!!! Alf
Old 06-14-2016, 03:54 PM   #280

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
This is pretty much the norm for our RMD on long drives. The good thing is that with the RMD the temp drops back to 37 or whatever by the next morning, which was not the case with the RML.