Dometic RM8551 insuffucent cooling - Page 25 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2015, 05:04 PM   #241

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I'm happy with 3 cubic foot fridge. As long (it seems) as the battery bank it fully topped up it runs fine on propane. I'm not sure how or why that seems to matter but oddly enough it seems to. We've been a full month going from place to place in Washington State, Idaho and the BC Okanagan often staying as long as 10 days at a time with sufficient cooling.

J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:07 PM   #242

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Have had NO issues with the small fridge in our 17B... It was built in the summer of 2007 though is listed as a 2008..

Only once our door came open and Reace adjusted the lock thing...Have never tied it shut or anything.
If I need extra room for stuff (ie liquids or larger items) we bring a 12v plug in cooler to use in the car or when we have services...
We have the small 12v fan from an RV place and use it all the time and that way the lettuce doesn't freeze.
We almost always have it on the second lowest setting..

Old 07-13-2015, 07:16 PM   #243

Trailer: Escape
J Mac and Amirie
Do you know what the Dometic model number is ? I wonder if the current 3cuft frig is the same model. Hopefully not a member of the 8rmxxxx series.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:09 PM   #244

Trailer: ""
I believe the current model is the 3.18 cu.ft. Americana Single Door RM 2354 LB.

From another thread last year:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Based on some research in Australian RV forums, the RM2354 Americana is a Sub-Tropical rated fridge (ST). Maybe it has a better climate class because of the way it's constructed? Certainly looks better insulated than the new 8 series fridges.
BillM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:33 PM   #245

Trailer: Escape
ETI lists a dometic 3 cubic foot 3 way frig for the currently produced escape 17 on their website.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #246

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
That was the model in my 1992 camper that gave me no trouble . Just no fancy blue lights . A frig . That worked great unless they have changed that too . Good luck . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:13 AM   #247

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 97 Ford Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
forgot did add another layer of Refex on top of what Escape added up to my fan in cavity . 1st pic - frig in
2nd pic - frig that was in my camper a 1992 Dometic that worked great even with my freezer . Pat
Did your camper have a chimney/vent on the roof for the fridge or just the vents on the side of the camper?
Old 08-14-2015, 12:05 PM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
Did your camper have a chimney/vent on the roof for the fridge or just the vents on the side of the camper?
Frig was vented to top of camper . Very small cavity (clearance)in rear with fiberglass insulation surrounding frig cavity .fiberglass also surrounded the frig .I may have a pic somewhere . The roof vent was how mine is now -vent cap on roof . Pat
Old 08-14-2015, 12:07 PM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Frig was vented to top of camper . Very small cavity (clearance)in rear with fiberglass insulation surrounding frig cavity .fiberglass also surrounded the frig .I may have a pic somewhere . The roof vent was how mine is now -vent cap on roof . Pat
Large metal side vent on bottom which you could really work and see on back at floor . Pat
Old 06-01-2016, 10:01 PM   #250

Trailer: '99 Scamp,'03 Bigfoot
Any further information about Dometic RM8551?

We are trying to decide between a 2016 or 2017 17B. I revived this thread as the 4.3 Dometic RM 8551 is still used in the 2016. Any more reports on this model or problem resolution is appreciated. I called Escape and was referred to Tammy who said that it shouldn't be an issue. If the RM8551 is still suspect we would consider the 2017 with the 4.0 Dometic RM 2454
Thanks for all the information and thoughts!
Tony and Darlene

Tony N is offline   Reply With Quote