Dometic RM8551 insuffucent cooling - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2015, 05:14 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yeah, you wanna know the cool part Brian? When someone asks a question now I actually have a trailer I can take a picture of! No more theory.
This and no more searching the internet for answers. Looking forward to you providing more information based on experience.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:30 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Facts to chew:

In its products listing the current Dometic website makes no mention of the RM5551 single door 3-way refrigerator, the one I got.

The following single door units are listed:

1. The 2454 (capacity 4.28cf) is 5 inches taller, and 4 inches wider than the 5551. 3 way power for this one is called an extra (?$?) option only.
2. The 2554 (5.3cf) is 10 inches taller, and 4˝ inches wider than the 5551.

Question: Within the space allotted for the "discontinued" 4.3, are either of these two units a replacement fit? I did a few measurements in my trailer. There just might be available an extra 4 inches of width but it’s looking like a real pinch. Cannot confirm without pulling the 4.3 unit. Not ready to do that yet. For height, no way, without cutting into my microwave space. With the 2554 installed the microwave is history.

What to do? My 5551 has performed swell, but remains untested in temps above 75°f. Translation: not a certified lemon but also not ready to be called a peach.

A replacement fridge, should it ever come to that, could mean aggressive cabinet work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RM-5b.jpg (99.4 KB, 40 views)

Old 03-30-2015, 08:37 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
As a prospective new owner (17B delivery date 8/01), I'm wondering how many Escape owner's are experiencing the inadequate cooling problems being discussed? One of the major reasons that we decided to upgrade from our Tab (which only has an icebox), is that we were tired of hunting ice every 3-4 days in hot weather. Hopefully, the refrigerators currently being installed by ETI are working reliably in summer temperatures?
Thanks,
Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:51 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Facts to chew:

In its products listing the current Dometic website makes no mention of the RM5551 single door 3-way refrigerator, the one I got.

The following single door units are listed:

1. The 2454 (capacity 4.28cf) is 5 inches taller, and 4 inches wider than the 5551. 3 way power for this one is called an extra (?$?) option only.
2. The 2554 (5.3cf) is 10 inches taller, and 4˝ inches wider than the 5551.

Question: Within the space allotted for the "discontinued" 4.3, are either of these two units a replacement fit? I did a few measurements in my trailer. There just might be available an extra 4 inches of width but it’s looking like a real pinch. Cannot confirm without pulling the 4.3 unit. Not ready to do that yet. For height, no way, without cutting into my microwave space. With the 2554 installed the microwave is history.

What to do? My 5551 has performed swell, but remains untested in temps above 75°f. Translation: not a certified lemon but also not ready to be called a peach.

A replacement fridge, should it ever come to that, could mean aggressive cabinet work.
Myron, the RM8551 is a current offering of Dometic, but for the Asian, European and Middle East Markets. It can be sold in North America (Escape is proof of that) but its rare here. Same with the RM8555.
http://www2.dometic.com/enie/Asia-Pa...ctdataid=73057
Old 03-31-2015, 09:12 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & Penny Smith View Post
As a prospective new owner (17B delivery date 8/01), I'm wondering how many Escape owner's are experiencing the inadequate cooling problems being discussed? One of the major reasons that we decided to upgrade from our Tab (which only has an icebox), is that we were tired of hunting ice every 3-4 days in hot weather. Hopefully, the refrigerators currently being installed by ETI are working reliably in summer temperatures?
Thanks,
Dave
See post 62 of the "Dometic comes through" thread. The 4.3 cu ft does not adequately cool above 80 degrees F.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:33 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
Took delivery of the 19 in November, so still haven't tested the 4.3 RM 8551 in really warm weather...that will come up in a couple of weeks. My unit is also top vented, as Robert showed on his 19, so perhaps I won't have a problem. There's also a "Texas fan" installed.

My issue at present is the plastic bin unit at the bottom. I'm not wild about it, and there's some wasted space in the two back corners. I was going to remove it, and just add another wire shelf, until Dometic told me the shelf was $103, before shipping and tax. I've decided to hold off a while longer!
Try ordering through camping world. I think we paid around $60 for the shelf. Part # 2413379609 I also added a upper shelf since we have the freezer removed Part # 2413375607

I run our fridge with the freezer removed and can get fairly good performance that way. I realize there are those people that this would not be a option and that need a freezer but right now it seems to be the best fix out there for the 8551. It is nothing like our old fridge was in previous campers but gets us by.

Just wondering if those who are having problems have actually taken your unit in to be checked by a RV repair place so it is recorded by Dometic that you are having problems.

I have a friend with a November 2013 19' that seems completely happy with their fridge and does not complain about its performance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (193.0 KB, 68 views)
Old 03-31-2015, 09:47 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Great advice to get the problem documented.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:07 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Try ordering through camping world. I think we paid around $60 for the shelf. Part # 2413379609 I also added a upper shelf since we have the freezer removed Part # 2413375607

I run our fridge with the freezer removed and can get fairly good performance that way. I realize there are those people that this would not be a option and that need a freezer but right now it seems to be the best fix out there for the 8551. It is nothing like our old fridge was in previous campers but gets us by.

Just wondering if those who are having problems have actually taken your unit in to be checked by a RV repair place so it is recorded by Dometic that you are having problems.

I have a friend with a November 2013 19' that seems completely happy with their fridge and does not complain about its performance.
Can you tell us if you moved the therm. To the side or is it in orignal place on fins . Just to check again the fan is to move air down not up ? Thankyou , Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:04 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Can you tell us if you moved the therm. To the side or is it in orignal place on fins . Just to check again the fan is to move air down not up ? Thankyou , Pat
In that picture the sensor is in its orgional place. I have since moved it off the fins and attached it to the wires for the fan you can see.

Fan is blowing down.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:00 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
In that picture the sensor is in its orgional place. I have since moved it off the fins and attached it to the wires for the fan you can see.

Fan is blowing down.
Thanks Tom . Pat

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote