Dometic RM8551 insuffucent cooling - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2015, 06:52 AM   #161

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
NEW QUESTION FOR ALL WHO HAVE REMOVED THEIR FRIDGE AND WHO ORDERED THE EXTRA INSULATION PACKAGE:

I did not have any insulation on the outside wall of my fridge built in 2013 w/ insulation window pkg. Myron who got his trailer a month after mine did have that wall insulated.

Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:16 AM   #162

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1 View Post
NEW QUESTION FOR ALL WHO HAVE REMOVED THEIR FRIDGE AND WHO ORDERED THE EXTRA INSULATION PACKAGE:

I did not have any insulation on the outside wall of my fridge built in 2013 w/ insulation window pkg. Myron who got his trailer a month after mine did have that wall insulated.

Dave
Thanks, Dave. Right now only Pat and Myron seem to have received their units with insulation in the fridge cavity. Rasies the question as to what parts of the trailer are actually insulated in the insulation & there!mal windows option?
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:00 AM   #163

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The insulation package is comprised of thermal windows and insulation below the bed/dinette area down to the floor and over the wheel wells. Those units without the option with stock insulation will only have insulation in those areas you can see, in other words the areas covered with the white vinyl. Behind the refer I believe was not covered in earlier models but once the issue of cooling became prevalent it was.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:35 AM   #164

Thanks, Jim; that's very helpful. I sorta figured that the cabinetry surrounding the fridge would serve as better insulation than the reflectix would. Appreciate the clarification.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:12 AM   #165

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Ours was new in the Spring of 2014. We ordered the extra insulation. When I removed the moldy fridge baffle there wasn't any reflectix on the f.g.

I don't know what kind of temperature the space would have reached but before I installed a new baffle I put in reflectix and a couple of inches of rigid foam.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0281_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Ours was new in the Spring of 2014. We ordered the extra insulation. When I removed the moldy fridge baffle there wasn't any reflectix on the f.g.

I don't know what kind of temperature the space would have reached but before I installed a new baffle I put in reflectix and a couple of inches of rigid foam.

Ron
Did it help noticeably? Hope so!
Old 07-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Did it help noticeably? Hope so!
Just finished my 42 day Alaska trip. Temperatures never exceeded the low 30's. My wife left home with frozen goods and returned home with frozen goods. Fridge ran all the time on propane with the setting on 3 bars. She was happy with it so I'm happy with it.

I don't know how much each item I did in my mod affected it. But between the relectix, a couple of inches of foam, the metal baffle that directs the air more efficiently past the condenser and the dedicated flue for the flame I'm pretty satisfied it was worth the effort. Maybe the moldy baffle was a blessing in disguise

Ron
Old 07-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #168

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The insulation package is comprised of thermal windows and insulation below the bed/dinette area down to the floor and over the wheel wells. Those units without the option with stock insulation will only have insulation in those areas you can see, in other words the areas covered with the white vinyl. Behind the refer I believe was not covered in earlier models but once the issue of cooling became prevalent it was.
Ronandlinda 2013 Escape 19 insulation behind frig
Ron in BC 2014 Escape 19 no insulation behind frig
Seems to be random and not in response to the cooling issue.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:39 PM   #169

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Hello everyone,
This is the response from Tammy regarding replacement of RM8555. I did asked for the refrigerator door to be replaced, but it was a no go.

Hello Tonny,

Thank you for your email.

Dometic is only replacing the RML8555. They did send us some sample doors for the RM8551 which were sent out to some Escape customers as samples. However, we have not received positive feedback with the new doors installed as it does not seem to cool any differently then when the original door was installed..

If the fridge is still not performing adequately I would recommend making an appointment with your local RV Service center and have them perform a service. Escape Trailer Industries has forwarded your information to Dometic so they already have a file started for you regarding the poor performance of the RM8551. Your appointment and servicing may detect another area of concern that is not currently in que for repair.

Please feel free to forward any questions you may have.

Tammy Harmatuik, Business Manager

Escape Trailer Industries Ltd.
43851 Industrial Way, Bldg. B
Chilliwack, BC, V2R 4L2

Tel: 604 703 1650 Toll Free: 1 855 703 1650
Fax: 604 703 1651
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:52 PM   #170
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Tonny, I know it's of little consolation, but the 4.3 owners with cooling issues are basically stuck unless they can get Dometic to repair/replace because the fridge doesn't meet spec performance. I'd do what Tammy suggests as a first effort. If it turns out to be within the performance specs afterward, and Dometic won't help further, you could try modifying the installation with additional insulation, baffle mods, etc as others have done. As a last resort there might be another way, but it would involve shelling out $700 or so, plus installation costs -- and that's to remove the 8 series fridge entirely, and go with something like the RM2510.2r. Not as fancy as the 8 series, but it will fit through the door, and it has a MUCH better reputation for cooling in hotter weather than any of the 8 series fridges do. It would of course also involve some modifications to the cabinet enclosure.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:33 PM   #171

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Well, I don't know, I don't know.... just because it might help I ordered that new (and improved? $26) thermocouple dingie for my 8551, I may pull out the unit and put in the angled baffle thing but not just yet, and when I do that I of course will beef up insulation all around it, even though I seem to be one of the lucky few who got reflectix glued to my wall at the factory.

Some got one fan, some got none so they added one, but me, I got two fans. Pondering adding a third fan back there to speed up exiting hot air... because why take a chance, right?... with it's own remote switch so Dometic doesn't refuse to make good if next month the mother board blows.

And the band plays on....
Attached Thumbnails
backFrig1.jpg  
Old 07-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #172

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
This discussion makes me quite sad. I had a vintage 1968 Aristocrat trailer that I had restored and it had a great Traveleze refrigerator (110v - LP) that worked very well all the time. I sold it and bought a new Escape because I wanted to focus more on camping and less on doing things to maintain the trailer. It seems it is not to be. Sad.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:12 PM   #173
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
This discussion makes me quite sad. I had a vintage 1968 Aristocrat trailer that I had restored and it had a great Traveleze refrigerator (110v - LP) that worked very well all the time. I sold it and bought a new Escape because I wanted to focus more on camping and less on doing things to maintain the trailer. It seems it is not to be. Sad.
Don't blame ETI, they're buying and installing currently available frigs. I've got a 1988 Scamp, it has a frig (3-way) that gets and stays cold.. as long as I pay attention to were the SUN is... the Dometic frig in the Scamp is no longer available
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:28 PM   #174

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Tonny, I know it's of little consolation, but the 4.3 owners with cooling issues are basically stuck unless they can get Dometic to repair/replace because the fridge doesn't meet spec performance. I'd do what Tammy suggests as a first effort. If it turns out to be within the performance specs afterward, and Dometic won't help further, you could try modifying the installation with additional insulation, baffle mods, etc as others have done. As a last resort there might be another way, but it would involve shelling out $700 or so, plus installation costs -- and that's to remove the 8 series fridge entirely, and go with something like the RM2510.2r. Not as fancy as the 8 series, but it will fit through the door, and it has a MUCH better reputation for cooling in hotter weather than any of the 8 series fridges do. It would of course also involve some modifications to the cabinet enclosure.
Robert,
Thanks for the input. I am going to sit tight and wait for any proven improvement. I don't like the idea of removing the refrigerator and doing all those mods mentioned in previous posts. I am not that skillful in carpentry and electrical stuff.

Tonny
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:12 PM   #175

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Just finished my 42 day Alaska trip. Temperatures never exceeded the low 30's. My wife left home with frozen goods and returned home with frozen goods. Fridge ran all the time on propane with the setting on 3 bars. She was happy with it so I'm happy with it.

I don't know how much each item I did in my mod affected it. But between the relectix, a couple of inches of foam, the metal baffle that directs the air more efficiently past the condenser and the dedicated flue for the flame I'm pretty satisfied it was worth the effort. Maybe the moldy baffle was a blessing in disguise

Ron
Ron do you have the 4.3 or 6.7 ? What temps were you getting outside etc. and can you please explain or pics of your dedicated flue and your metal baffle . Thanks . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:31 PM   #176

Dometic RM8551 insufficent cooling

Finished up sealing everything . Put back the piece Reace said I should .And it took some doing put the frig back .Had to put pillows behind me on the bed and push with my feet for the last 4 inches but it is in . Put the 4 screws back not like it will fall out or anything .Can't work on tomorrow so Friday I will make sure of all my connections and check the gas line and operation of frig then put the finishes back including the door . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
P1010001.jpg   P1010002.jpg   P1010004.jpg   P1010005.jpg  
Old 07-08-2015, 09:36 PM   #177

Dometic RM8551 insufficent cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Finished up sealing everything . Put back the piece Reace said I should .And it took some doing put the frig back .Had to put pillows behind me on the bed and push with my feet for the last 4 inches but it is in . Put the 4 screws back not like it will fall out or anything .Can't work on tomorrow so Friday I will make sure of all my connections and check the gas line and operation of frig then put the finishes back including the door . Pat
forgot did add another layer of Refex on top of what Escape added up to my fan in cavity . 1st pic - frig in
2nd pic - frig that was in my camper a 1992 Dometic that worked great even with my freezer . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
P1010006.jpg   IMG_0026.jpg  
Old 07-08-2015, 10:00 PM   #178

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
You make a point Donna, but I don' think that will be enough to console the people who shelled out big $ and have to worry about fridge cooling. If I was them I would be disappointed that ETI hasn't found another supplier. I don't think ETI has changed supplier/brand of fridge, and to keep installing a product proven defective just doesn't make sense to me.
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:28 PM   #179

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you read all the fridge posts ( and unfortunately, I have, even though I have a 5.0 cu. ft. fridge ) you will find that Reace discussed the situation with Norcold, the other major fridge builder, and was told he could not expect better performance.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:54 PM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Ron do you have the 4.3 or 6.7 ? What temps were you getting outside etc. and can you please explain or pics of your dedicated flue and your metal baffle . Thanks . Pat
I have the 4.3.

My rational for this mod was two fold.

I had to replace the baffle anyway as it was covered in mold. I could have just used 1/8" plywood but since aluminum is just as easy to use, will never get moldy and lends itself to what I wanted to do I used aluminum.

One. I wanted a smooth flow of convection air to remove heat from the condenser. Given the convoluted area around the condenser is likely to create turbulence and an inefficient flow of air I added some fins to "straighten" the flow and make it more efficient. I was't looking to create hurricane alley but I did want a more efficient convection current.

Secondly, it made no sense to me that the heat from the flame is dumped out right by the condenser, an area you want to remove heat from, not add heat to.

So the channel on the left creates a flue that is isolated from the condenser. Ironically Dometic does make a flue extension that directly dumps the heat to the exterior. Efforts to obtain on in North America weren't successful so I went with the isolated flue instead.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0295_resize.JPG