Dometic RM8551 insuffucent cooling - Page 13 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #241

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I'm happy with 3 cubic foot fridge. As long (it seems) as the battery bank it fully topped up it runs fine on propane. I'm not sure how or why that seems to matter but oddly enough it seems to. We've been a full month going from place to place in Washington State, Idaho and the BC Okanagan often staying as long as 10 days at a time with sufficient cooling.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:07 PM   #242

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Have had NO issues with the small fridge in our 17B... It was built in the summer of 2007 though is listed as a 2008..

Only once our door came open and Reace adjusted the lock thing...Have never tied it shut or anything.
If I need extra room for stuff (ie liquids or larger items) we bring a 12v plug in cooler to use in the car or when we have services...
We have the small 12v fan from an RV place and use it all the time and that way the lettuce doesn't freeze.
We almost always have it on the second lowest setting..
Old 07-13-2015, 06:16 PM   #243

Trailer: Escape
J Mac and Amirie
Do you know what the Dometic model number is ? I wonder if the current 3cuft frig is the same model. Hopefully not a member of the 8rmxxxx series.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #244

Trailer: ""
I believe the current model is the 3.18 cu.ft. Americana Single Door RM 2354 LB.

From another thread last year:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Based on some research in Australian RV forums, the RM2354 Americana is a Sub-Tropical rated fridge (ST). Maybe it has a better climate class because of the way it's constructed? Certainly looks better insulated than the new 8 series fridges.
BillM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:33 PM   #245

ETI lists a dometic 3 cubic foot 3 way frig for the currently produced escape 17 on their website.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:56 PM   #246

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
That was the model in my 1992 camper that gave me no trouble . Just no fancy blue lights . A frig . That worked great unless they have changed that too . Good luck . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:13 AM   #247

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
forgot did add another layer of Refex on top of what Escape added up to my fan in cavity . 1st pic - frig in
2nd pic - frig that was in my camper a 1992 Dometic that worked great even with my freezer . Pat
Did your camper have a chimney/vent on the roof for the fridge or just the vents on the side of the camper?
Old 08-14-2015, 11:05 AM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
Did your camper have a chimney/vent on the roof for the fridge or just the vents on the side of the camper?
Frig was vented to top of camper . Very small cavity (clearance)in rear with fiberglass insulation surrounding frig cavity .fiberglass also surrounded the frig .I may have a pic somewhere . The roof vent was how mine is now -vent cap on roof . Pat
Old 08-14-2015, 11:07 AM   #249

Quote:
Frig was vented to top of camper . Very small cavity (clearance)in rear with fiberglass insulation surrounding frig cavity .fiberglass also surrounded the frig .I may have a pic somewhere . The roof vent was how mine is now -vent cap on roof . Pat
Large metal side vent on bottom which you could really work and see on back at floor . Pat
Old 06-01-2016, 09:01 PM   #250

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Any further information about Dometic RM8551?

We are trying to decide between a 2016 or 2017 17B. I revived this thread as the 4.3 Dometic RM 8551 is still used in the 2016. Any more reports on this model or problem resolution is appreciated. I called Escape and was referred to Tammy who said that it shouldn't be an issue. If the RM8551 is still suspect we would consider the 2017 with the 4.0 Dometic RM 2454
Thanks for all the information and thoughts!
Tony and Darlene
Tony N is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:28 PM   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony N View Post
We are trying to decide between a 2016 or 2017 17B. I revived this thread as the 4.3 Dometic RM 8551 is still used in the 2016. Any more reports on this model or problem resolution is appreciated. I called Escape and was referred to Tammy who said that it shouldn't be an issue. If the RM8551 is still suspect we would consider the 2017 with the 4.0 Dometic RM 2454
Tony and Darlene
If you would really want the 2016 , I would suggest that you want Escape to insulate the frig cavity . Also that they install a fan in rear of frig you can control . There is one called a "ventilator fan "that I was able to get . You can see a picture of it on the Oliver web site in their trailers ,and I think I saw it in a Scamp or Casita . Insulating the frig cavity really helps your frig . Think Extreme coolers, that have 2-3 in walls . We have the 4.3 and now are happier . This is the 3rd Dometic we have owned in 30 plus years . I can tell you my other 2 were in very insulated cavities . I owned them each over 12 years . Had to remove frigs for different reasons and saw the installations . The new frigs aren't as great working as the old frigs for sure but you can help them along . Pat
Old 06-01-2016, 09:37 PM   #252
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Tony and Darlene
The Dometic 2454 has been the standard fridge in Casita 17 ft trailers for over a decade; I had one and never had an issue. Some people boondocking had problems due to shock/vibration causing door hinge failures, but the Casita is a single axle trailer running 60 psi tire pressures. There is a hinge reinforcement kit for those folks.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:21 AM   #253
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Dometic RM8551 insuffucent cooling

You can expect the 2454 to out perform the 8 series. Why? The Americana is designed to perform better in warmer climates. The 8 series is built mostly for the European market, which requires a climate class rating. The climate class rating for the 8 series is SN, or subnormal. The 2454 Americana doesn't have a climate class rating, because that's not required in North America. But, when pressed, Dometic will tell you that the Americana fridges are 'equivalent' to an N or normal climate class. Without going into the numbers, that simply means they perform better with higher ambient temperatures.

I would not let the fridge be the determining factor in deciding between the 2016 and 2017 model trailer, but you can expect the Americana to perform better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2016, 01:51 AM   #254

It is very dishearting when those who never did anything to improve their frig's or go by what they are told or what they read have the answer . How about, did you do real world testing for 3 weeks sometimes more then 100 degree temps ? Did you speak to dealers of other RV's who find all the frig's to be a problem .Many Articles can also be found too. Truth is actually these series 8 are nicer with chrome shelfs etc. . Guess what went to Camping World last week and there was a series 8 6.7 on display to sell . Said s/n rated inside . Since you should always bring a cooler just in case anyway ?Unless you get a compressed frig it is what it is . But you can improve what you have,. that was my point . If I wanted the 2016 , I wouldn't get the 2017 for the frig . He asked for opinion and that is ours . Pat
Old 06-02-2016, 07:29 AM   #255

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
If I had the choice right now, the fridge is more than enough reason for me to buy the 2017. We have friends with the 8551 and they are seriously considering selling their Escape and buying a new one due to the fridge.

In my opinion the 8 series fridges are not adequate. The 2 door 8555 is better than the 1 door 8555 or the 8551, but still not good enough. All the extra insulation, fans, grills, etc help a bit but do not solve the problem.

If you are willing to use a cooler and/or not camp in temperatures above 90 then you may be satisified with an 8 series.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:34 AM   #256

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
If you would really want the 2016 , I would suggest that you want Escape to insulate the frig cavity . Pat
I called Sarah several weeks ago, since our trailer is in production, to see if they would add extra insulation behind the fridge, as recommended here. She said they had recently started doing that on all the 2016 trailers being made. They are putting "pink" insulation behind the fridge in the cavity as part of the fridge installation. No idea if it is lipstick on a pig, but I'll gladly accept whatever help they offer!
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:36 AM   #257

If you have free time and are looking for a hobby.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...-3-a-6058.html
ETI continues to sell this sub-normal refrigerator. A lot of advise is provided by forum members who have neither the product in question or the experience with the products problems.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:04 AM   #258

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
If you have free time and are looking for a hobby.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...-3-a-6058.html
ETI continues to sell this sub-normal refrigerator. A lot of advise is provided by forum members who have neither the product in question or the experience with the products problems.
I have one of those sub-normal refrigs. After getting the rear fan, baffling job, and insulation, it did fine.

Greg
Old 06-02-2016, 09:21 AM   #259

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Tony and Darlene
Reading through this thread should help you come to the correct decision.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:24 AM   #260

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post

If you are willing to use a cooler and/or not camp in temperatures above 90 then you may be satisified with an 8 series.
Do folks camp in temps above 90° without A/C? I guess I did when I was a kid, but that was either on the ground or in a tent, hence the fact I have a TA with refrigerated air....
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote