Dometic RM8551 insuffucent cooling - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2015, 08:31 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Here is a picture of the rear of Rich's set up he sent to me to post for him
here is the link for the thermistor Dometic Thermistor Repair Kit
Thanks Charley . Can't wait to see what I have back there .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:39 PM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Dometic RM8551 insuffucent cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickheadhunter View Post
Glad to hear the problem with your 4.3 is fixed! Does the 3.0 work any better than the 4.3?

By all accounts, yes. The 3.0 cf fridge (I believe it's a Dometic RM24xx series) is not an 8 series and it seems that the 8 series (RMD 8551 and 8555) have been the ones with most of the problems.

Don't know why exactly (maybe it's because there's less volume to cool) but it seems the tiny fridges perform much better than their larger counterparts. There are some fiberglass trailer owners who run fridges that are 30 years old -- and they're still going strong.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:55 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 19'
From my testing the two things that will help you the most are. 1. remove the freezer 'box'. 2. get a Sterilite 18-Qt Dishpan (Walmart etc) that fits on the shelf and holds a bag of ice. Place the bag of iced as high as you like, then place things on the ice and take cubes as needed.

Set the power bars (temp bars really) on 3, your refrig should be 39-41F.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:28 PM   #44

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Thanks I did find the web site . There is another I found too Dinasoar thermistor which is better ? Also at site for yours they say to scroll go down and get for our model ? Or did you get something else I want it colder not sure which one to get . Pat
I sent them an email and told them the model number (RM8551) which they pointed out was on their list. NOTE: in their installation directions, they state that it is important to disconnect the circuit board wiring going to the stock thermistor before installing the new one. On my 4.3, the wiring to the electronics are on the top of the fridge (meaning of course it has to be removed to access them).
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:48 PM   #45

Quote:
Glad to hear the problem with your 4.3 is fixed! Does the 3.0 work any better than the 4.3?
Sorry, but I have no experience with the 3.0 but I do think good insulation, a proper flue design, and adequate airflow over the coils are fundamentally necessary for optimum performance of any similar refrigerator.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:03 AM   #46

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
I've never had an issue with my 3.0 and don't recall reading any posts about this smaller model.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:58 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I sent them an email and told them the model number (RM8551) which they pointed out was on their list. NOTE: in their installation directions, they state that it is important to disconnect the circuit board wiring going to the stock thermistor before installing the new one. On my 4.3, the wiring to the electronics are on the top of the fridge (meaning of course it has to be removed to access them).
Got it ! When I get into this I may still need help . Pat
Old 06-25-2015, 08:00 AM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
NOTE: in their installation directions, they state that it is important to disconnect the circuit board wiring going to the stock thermistor before installing the new one.

I would think that is true if there is any power to the fridge. But if you engage the battery disconnect I fail to see how snipping the tip off the thermistor and wiring in a new one would pose any danger to the circuit board. There's no power then.

If there was anything I could do to interrupt all power to the fridge before changing the thermistor, I would do that rather than the arduous task of pulling the fridge.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:43 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I would think that is true if there is any power to the fridge. But if you engage the battery disconnect I fail to see how snipping the tip off the thermistor and wiring in a new one would pose any danger to the circuit board. There's no power then.

If there was anything I could do to interrupt all power to the fridge before changing the thermistor, I would do that rather than the arduous task of pulling the fridge.
That was my initial thought too, Robert. However, the instructions go to pains highlighting how critical this is. Maybe if the fridge sat for a few days with no residual current, it would be okay. I was so far outside my comfort zone with this mod, I wasn't willing to tempt fate .
Old 06-25-2015, 08:51 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Got it ! When I get into this I may still need help . Pat
When you muster-up the courage to take on this mod, we can exchange phone numbers. I'd be happy to serve as a "Help Desk." .
Old 06-25-2015, 08:54 AM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
I have a May 2014 Dometic RM8551 which is not cooling below 40 degree F in hot Arkansas summer temperature of above 85 degree F. I email Tammy and Reace and they asked me for the refrigerator serial # to be submitted to Dometic for a RMD refrigerator replacement. I would like to find out if anyone has a RMD 4.3 cu ft. refrigerator installed in the exiting space/dimension for the 4.3 cu ft. I am afraid that the new refrigerator may not fit the exiting space and I don't want to give up my microwave located above the refrgerator.
Thanks for you help.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:15 AM   #52
Site Team

Quote:
That was my initial thought too, Robert. However, the instructions go to pains highlighting how critical this is. Maybe if the fridge sat for a few days with no residual current, it would be okay. I was so far outside my comfort zone with this mod, I wasn't willing to tempt fate .
Right, I understand. Was just working through the theory. If there were any residual current, it would be at the thermistor itself, not at the plug on the circuit board. The board is not charged when there's no power, except for any capacitors. So, snipping the thermistor off when there is no power to the board sounds perfectly safe to me.

They're adamant about protecting the controller board. Damage to the board in this scenario could only be caused by a power surge or discharge from the thermistor wire when you cut it. I think that's extremely unlikely. I admit I'm not an electrical engineer but a computer engineer, so maybe I'm missing something obvious.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:49 AM   #53

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
I have a May 2014 Dometic RM8551 which is not cooling below 40 degree F in hot Arkansas summer temperature of above 85 degree F. I email Tammy and Reace and they asked me for the refrigerator serial # to be submitted to Dometic for a RMD refrigerator replacement. I would like to find out if anyone has a RMD 4.3 cu ft. refrigerator installed in the exiting space/dimension for the 4.3 cu ft. I am afraid that the new refrigerator may not fit the exiting space and I don't want to give up my microwave located above the refrgerator.
Thanks for you help.
Tonny LR
Did ETI state that the RMD replacement is the 4.3 size or are they referring to the RMD 6.7 being replaced ? I cannot find a RMD 4.3 replacement. When we have contacted ETI they did not ask for the serial number nor offer a hope for resolution. Please let us know if you are able to obtain a resolution for the standard 4.3 refrigerator.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:51 AM   #54

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Tonny,
The new replacement RMD 8551 is supposed to take up the same space as the existing one, so little or no space will be lost. I do not think there is a RMD 4.3 model as it is a smaller unit. The "D" denotes dual doors.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:17 AM   #55

Quote:
When you muster-up the courage to take on this mod, we can exchange phone numbers. I'd be happy to serve as a "Help Desk." .
Will definitely take you up on offer . Thank you again .Wood not afraid but electrical I am not comfortable with . Pat
Old 06-25-2015, 11:21 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Did ETI state that the RMD replacement is the 4.3 size or are they referring to the RMD 6.7 being replaced ? I cannot find a RMD 4.3 replacement. When we have contacted ETI they did not ask for the serial number nor offer a hope for resolution. Please let us know if you are able to obtain a resolution for the standard 4.3 refrigerator.
I am all ears ! Pat
Old 06-25-2015, 12:28 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Tonny,
The new replacement RMD 8551 is supposed to take up the same space as the existing one, so little or no space will be lost. I do not think there is a RMD 4.3 model as it is a smaller unit. The "D" denotes dual doors.
Thanks Jim for your clarification. ETI did not specify a RMD 8551.This is the email sent by Tammy:

Hello Tonny,

Thank you for your email regarding the Dometic Fridge currently installed in your Escape Trailer.

We have processed your information and forwarded it to Dometic. Please note there may be some additional fees with the re & re of your fridge that you, the customer, will be responsible for as this cost will not be covered by Escape Trailer Industries or Dometic. Dometic will cover the cost of the replacement fridge however, each customer is responsible for the labour of installation. Dometic has stated that the REMAINING warranty from your current fridge will be transferred to your new fridge. Therefore if you have 6 months left on your fridge warranty you will have a 6 months warranty on your new fridge. If you have purchased extended warranty through Dometic this will be transferred to your new fridge.

As Escape Trailer Industries has only been installing the RMD8555 since late last year we cannot guarantee the new RMD8555 will work better than the RML8555 however, Dometic has stated with the larger cooling unit and built in fans the RMD8555 should perform better.

To complete the re and re of your fridge please contact Dometic within the next week to obtain contact information for a list of local RV service centers in your area who are able to perform this service for you. They will then contact Dometic and receive authorization to begin the service work for you. If they have any questions please have them contact Escape Trailer Industries.

Please feel free to forward any questions you may have.

Tammy Harmatuik, Business Manager

Escape Trailer Industries Ltd.
43851 Industrial Way, Bldg. B
Chilliwack, BC, V2R 4L2
Thnak you everyone for your responses.

Tonny LR
Old 06-25-2015, 12:33 PM   #58
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for you help.

Tonny LR
Tonny, I assume you mean an RM8551. There is no RMD 8551 that I'm aware of. As others have pointed out, the D in RMD means two doors, which is not applicable for the smaller fridge. The fridge swap deal Reace worked out with Dometic is for a 6.7CF RML 8555 to a a 6.7CF RMD 8555. The only deal I heard about for RM 8551 4.3CF owners was to swap out the door for a new one that supposedly has better insulation. Apparently you have to have the fridge tested by Dometic before they will retrofit the door.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:07 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Tonny, I assume you mean an RM8551. There is no RMD 8551 that I'm aware of. As others have pointed out, the D in RMD means two doors, which is not applicable for the smaller fridge. The fridge swap deal Reace worked out with Dometic is for a 6.7CF RML 8555 to a a 6.7CF RMD 8555. The only deal I heard about for RM 8551 4.3CF owners was to swap out the door for a new one that supposedly has better insulation. Apparently you have to have the fridge tested by Dometic before they will retrofit the door.
Robert,
You are right that I have a RM 8551 4.3 cu ft. You are saying that there is no RMD 8551 4.3 cu ft in production that will fit the exiting space or no RMD 8551 available period. ETI did not specify what replacement model that I will be getting. This was the reason I posted the early post to find out if anyone has a replacement done.

Tonny
Old 06-25-2015, 01:50 PM   #60
Site Team

Quote:
Robert,
You are right that I have a RM 8551 4.3 cu ft. You are saying that there is no RMD 8551 4.3 cu ft in production that will fit the exiting space or no RMD 8551 available period. ETI did not specify what replacement model that I will be getting. This was the reason I posted the early post to find out if anyone has a replacement done.

Tonny
Tonny, I believe that Escape sent you the email intended for 6.7CF owners by mistake. To my knowledge, Dometic has not agreed to replace the RM 8551 with an "improved model", since there is no improved model. There was an agreement worked out between Reace and Dometic to fit an improved door on these. I would contact Escape again and ask them to clarify.