Dometic RM8551 insuffucent cooling - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2015, 09:00 PM   #61

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Robert,
I agreed with your assessment. I will contact ETI to find out more info.

Tonny
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:56 AM   #62

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
Robert,
I agreed with your assessment. I will contact ETI to find out more info.

Tonny
Please let us know what ETI's response is.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:58 AM   #63

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Please let us know what ETI's response is.
Bob,
I will keep everyong informed.

Tonny
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:17 PM   #64

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I sent them an email and told them the model number (RM8551) which they pointed out was on their list. NOTE: in their installation directions, they state that it is important to disconnect the circuit board wiring going to the stock thermistor before installing the new one. On my 4.3, the wiring to the electronics are on the top of the fridge (meaning of course it has to be removed to access them).
Starting on this project . Ordered my snip the tip today . Going in the trailer and start removing screws , making a place on bed frame to put frig . I do not have mattress anymore have latex foam . Taking off door , removing freezer . It is hot here so this is going to take me some time . Next week will pm you my phone number . Spoke to Rog at snip the tip and asks some ? You can just cut the power to your trailer with not being plugged in of course . The other reason they tell you to undo from control box -some people like to solder the ends that is putting electrical down the line . It is a safe guard for your control box . So it is up to me . I like to be extra cautious so I will follow all their directions . here goes ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:49 PM   #65

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Starting on this project . Ordered my snip the tip today . Going in the trailer and start removing screws , making a place on bed frame to put frig . I do not have mattress anymore have latex foam . Taking off door , removing freezer . It is hot here so this is going to take me some time . Next week will pm you my phone number . Spoke to Rog at snip the tip and asks some ? You can just cut the power to your trailer with not being plugged in of course . The other reason they tell you to undo from control box -some people like to solder the ends that is putting electrical down the line . It is a safe guard for your control box . So it is up to me . I like to be extra cautious so I will follow all their directions . here goes ! Pat
Sounds good, Pat. Follow Reace's instructions and photos and you'll be good. Getting it out is the hardest part. The only saw I used was a small table saw; trust you have access to one. Send any questions and photos that explain exactly what you're trying to accomplish and we can discuss as well.

Kountrykamper had detailed photos on the Forum on how to remove the door if you haven't done that already. If you haven't done that yet, my only suggestion at this point is that once the door is off, re secure the control panel with the two screws so you don't accidentally break any wires. Keep us all posted on your progress!
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:30 PM   #66

Quote:
Sounds good, Pat. Follow Reace's instructions and photos and you'll be good. Getting it out is the hardest part. The only saw I used was a small table saw; trust you have access to one. Send any questions and photos that explain exactly what you're trying to accomplish and we can discuss as well.

Kountrykamper had detailed photos on the Forum on how to remove the door if you haven't done that already. If you haven't done that yet, my only suggestion at this point is that once the door is off, re secure the control panel with the two screws so you don't accidentally break any wires. Keep us all posted on your progress!
Ok had printed out Reaces removing frig before . Do have that . Pulled back bedding Removed my door , freezer . Have to also remove wires to my little fan I had installed in frig ( Kounrty Kamper ) I think will take some pics . Removed screws from frig . Removed bottom and 2 side wood moulding .
What do I need saw for I do have many ? I will put that frig panel back on with 2 screws . Pics coming . Pat
Old 06-26-2015, 05:42 PM   #67

dometic RM8551 insufficent cooling

pics where I am going to put frig frig now, and I have to undo my fan Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0408.jpg   IMG_0409.jpg   IMG_0410.jpg  
Old 06-26-2015, 05:45 PM   #68

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
you have to disconnect the upper control board...
Old 06-26-2015, 06:03 PM   #69

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Pat

If there are any questions I can answer I will be happy to help too. Drop me a PM.

Having gone through this pain several times I hate it for you all but in the end it's worth it.

Keep track of the little plastic spacer on the bottom door hindge. I spent more time looking for it the first time then I did pulling the fridge.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:06 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
you have to disconnect the upper control board...
Charley I can't just put it back on frig and reinstall the 2 screws?It is on front won't it come out with frig ? Pat
Old 06-26-2015, 06:07 PM   #71

Quote:
Charley I can't just put it back on frig and reinstall the 2 screws?It is on front won't it come out with frig ? Pat
I just put it inside the fridge on the shelf. Just be careful when you pull the fridge. It's a handful when it comes out to set on the bed.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:09 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Pat

If there are any questions I can answer I will be happy to help too. Drop me a PM.

Having gone through this pain several times I hate it for you all but in the end it's worth it.

Keep track of the little plastic spacer on the bottom door hindge. I spent more time looking for it the first time then I did pulling the fridge.
Thanks Tom . Got the little washer and all screws put everything in tray Charlie made for me . Remembered that since I had already installed new door . Pat
Old 06-26-2015, 06:36 PM   #73

Quote:
Pat

The Oracle speaks!!! Listen to him. he got me through it.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:54 PM   #74

Quote:
Ok had printed out Reaces removing frig before . Do have that . Pulled back bedding Removed my door , freezer . Have to also remove wires to my little fan I had installed in frig ( Kounrty Kamper ) I think will take some pics . Removed screws from frig . Removed bottom and 2 side wood moulding .
What do I need saw for I do have many ? I will put that frig panel back on with 2 screws . Pics coming . Pat
You'll likely have to cut some 1x1 stock, and the bottom horizontal piece that should be set at 45 degrees. Reace's install has a flat bottom. Mine angles up at 45 degrees, secured with the three screws that holds the frame of the outside, opening. The "bottom"of my flue is just the insulation. My baffle extends up to the front edge of the plywood panel. Because I used lightweight vinyl sheet (actually, a piece cut from gutter cap) it is only attached with heavy duty Velcro on the horizontal piece secured by the screws holding the frame for the outside opening frame.

Most importantly, once you cut your Luan plywood per Reace's instructions (and I used spay adhesive to attach my R15 fiberglass insulation [paperside to back of flue panel]) there was no way I could get it in place in one piece. So, I ripped in down the middle and installed the two pieces one at a time. The sides of the insulation compressed against each other well enough. I ran a length of duck tape down the middle for good measure. (Remember, this will never be seen by anyone unless you remove the fridge - which I can assure you, you will never want to do again! )

I never found a control panel that looks like the one in the S-t-T instructions on the back of the fridge. On top of the fridge, there is a junction for a few sets of wires, one of which was labeled "Electronics." I disconnected those two wires when I put in the new thermistor.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:48 PM   #75

P.S.

Pat, we'll have to talk through the bottom baffle more once you pull the unit. First, we need to see if you have an ETI baffle now. It is a piece of plywood about 14 inches long and 4 inches wide. It serves as the bottom of the flue (shown in Reace's photos) and Tom found that if that piece is instead set at 45 degrees, the air travels more effectively over the refrigeration coils and up and out of the flue.

Might be a good idea to Google "chimney flues and how they work" to get a solid understanding of why this mod helps (it helped me). I concluded that the cavity in the trailer was too large and air just churned or barely moved before. Having a 1 inch wide flue forces (with the help of the fan(s)) the air to move more quickly and efficiently over the coils which is what makes the fridge work.

We also need to see if you have one, two, or no dometic fans attached to the back of your fridge. Tom had one, I had two. My mod bypassed the thermal switch altogether (meaning the fan only runs when I turn it on). If you are okay with that, the good news is that you already have power for it as shown in your photo at the switch you installed for your inside fan).
Old 06-26-2015, 08:22 PM   #76

Here is what Rich is talking about angling the lower baffle. The first time I did it the bottom baffle was flat and it just did not work. I ripped it all out and redid it installing the bottom one at 45 degrees and it worked much better. I did smoke test on both to watch the venting and could see the air flow was much better after redoing it. My upper baffle is just below the condenser. You can do it in a one piece baffle like Reace shows just angle the bottom. I was still experimenting at this point and if I every pull the fridge again I may close in the space between the two baffles but it works so hopefully I will never need to pull it again.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-26-2015, 09:18 PM   #77

Dometic RM8551 insufficent cooling

Quote:
Here is what Rich is talking about angling the lower baffle. The first time I did it the bottom baffle was flat and it just did not work. I ripped it all out and redid it installing the bottom one at 45 degrees and it worked much better. I did smoke test on both to watch the venting and could see the air flow was much better after redoing it. My upper baffle is just below the condenser. You can do it in a one piece baffle like Reace shows just angle the bottom. I was still experimenting at this point and if I every pull the fridge again I may close in the space between the two baffles but it works so hopefully I will never need to pull it again.
Ok this is it for today ! had to come in house to cool down . Tomorrow no working on tomorrow I have other business to attend to Granddaughter . Will get back to this Sunday . My part my be here Monday . Got it out ! I have one fan and this piece of metal wired to back . I want to turn that fan on myself. It has never come on . I want to keep separate from my inside . I can wire up another and put on closet wall too. . Isn't the chimney with hot air coming out right on those fins bad ? Don't I need to extend the chimney ? Anyway here comes the pictures Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0411.jpg   IMG_0412.jpg   IMG_0413.jpg   IMG_0414.jpg  
Old 06-26-2015, 09:21 PM   #78

Dometic RM8551 insufficent cooling

Quote:
More pictures Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0415.jpg   IMG_0417.jpg   IMG_0418.jpg   IMG_0420.jpg  
Old 06-26-2015, 09:24 PM   #79

Quote:
P.S.

Pat, we'll have to talk through the bottom baffle more once you pull the unit. First, we need to see if you have an ETI baffle now. It is a piece of plywood about 14 inches long and 4 inches wide. It serves as the bottom of the flue (shown in Reace's photos) and Tom found that if that piece is instead set at 45 degrees, the air travels more effectively over the refrigeration coils and up and out of the flue.

Might be a good idea to Google "chimney flues and how they work" to get a solid understanding of why this mod helps (it helped me). I concluded that the cavity in the trailer was too large and air just churned or barely moved before. Having a 1 inch wide flue forces (with the help of the fan(s)) the air to move more quickly and efficiently over the coils which is what makes the fridge work.

We also need to see if you have one, two, or no dometic fans attached to the back of your fridge. Tom had one, I had two. My mod bypassed the thermal switch altogether (meaning the fan only runs when I turn it on). If you are okay with that, the good news is that you already have power for it as shown in your photo at the switch you installed for your inside fan).
what is the easiest to wire up but I want it's own switch . Pat
Old 06-26-2015, 09:29 PM   #80

Quote:
Can't I just remove and 45 the baffle there ? All the idea's for installation you have for the cavity . Also see that piece of metal wired on the fins ? The pipe should"t I move higher to go above frig ? Pat Ps was thinking of form board that is faced . I do have reflex it . Pat