Dometic RM8551 insuffucent cooling - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2015, 08:25 PM   #121

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
This is good to know, I'm having mine switched next week and I'll be asking to put that fan on it's own switch. If the shop will not do it, is it accessible from the lower vent for me to add the switch?
Old 06-30-2015, 08:26 PM   #122

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Someone had earlier posts that you shoot for an airflow of 16 CFM and not higher on the recommendation of a RV refrigerator tech. More than that does not help you. Apparently there is a "sweet spot" to be found.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:28 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
This is good to know, I'm having mine switched next week and I'll be asking to put that fan on it's own switch. If the shop will not do it, is it accessible from the lower vent for me to add the switch?
Probably not. The access panel outside is pretty small as you know. They'll likely void your warrant for the mod as well.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:30 PM   #124

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
If you get your one factory fan controlled by a switch that should be enough. When mine is running I can actually feel air coming out of the top vent if I stand on a ladder. I have a second fan mounted up near the roof vent but have found I only need to run one.
Ok that's my plan . Wire the frig fan to turn on and off myself . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:00 PM   #125

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
First time ever, I heard the fan in back of my 4.3 today. It has been real hot here at home and the trailer is out in the open, under a blazing sun. Plugged into shore power, 5 dots, at noon. Here's the latest stats compiled (F)

Beginning to like the idea of making that fan in back do more work.
Attached Thumbnails
Fridge8551T.jpg  
Old 07-01-2015, 07:41 AM   #126

Trailer: Escape
Considering the costumer dissatisfaction and the mods suggested by Reace and attempted by owners, why does ETI continue to sell the 4.3 frig as standard equipment to new 19 owners ? Does ETI make the physical changes to the 4.3 frigs before the installation to new and unsuspecting owners ?
Old 07-01-2015, 07:49 AM   #127

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Considering the costumer dissatisfaction and the mods suggested by Reace and attempted by owners, why does ETI continue to sell the 4.3 frig as standard equipment to new 19 owners ? Does ETI make the physical changes to the 4.3 frigs before the installation to new and unsuspecting owners ?
Hi: Jubal... Why does Ford continue to sell hundreds of thousands of Focus' with 6spd. Manumatic Dual Clutch Transmissions when some owners have had problems with them!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:56 AM   #128
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Take a look at Myron's stats as an example though Bob. In almost every case, the 4.3 is doing exactly what its designed to do - to maintain spec temperatures when ambient air temps are up to 85F. That's a SN rated fridge.

More to your point though, I know of no 3 way fridge with a similar capacity that is less than 22" wide and can fit through the door. In order for Escape to go to a different manufacturer or model, that's a redesign of the trailer shell - and the door in particular. I think Reace would love nothing better than to have a fridge that performs well in the 90s and 100s. As to why Dometic won't sell a tropical rated version of this fridge in North America (they do make one - like this one for example: http://www.dometicrvcentre.com.au/on...06lt-fridge-lh) I have no idea, and they won't say.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:21 AM   #129

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
It's a difficult path that ETI is walking here. On the one hand, the poor performance of the various fridges is good enough for a lot of folks, so indicating there have been issues to prospective buyers might turn those buyers off unnecessarily. On the other hand, having to deal with a problem in a brand new high-end product is always a turn-off. I also wonder how Dometic might react if Reace started bad-mouthing some of their products -- they might not be as cooperative the next time Reace needs them to support his customers.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:30 AM   #130

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Just wondering if Jubal is party to discussions between ETI and prospective customers. Does Jubal know what ETI says to them about the 4.3 vs. the 6.7?
Old 07-01-2015, 10:50 AM   #131

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
First time ever, I heard the fan in back of my 4.3 today. It has been real hot here at home and the trailer is out in the open, under a blazing sun. Plugged into shore power, 5 dots, at noon. Here's the latest stats compiled (F)

Beginning to like the idea of making that fan in back do more work.
Wow Myron, 107 out and your frig is 44, that's pretty dang good! When we had a smaller refrigerator we would have been very happy with that. We usually would throw a bag of ice in until we moved on to cooler climes.
Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #132

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I'm not so sure that 107 degree reading is a fair one, though. The remote sensor is inside my tongue box. The box lid was open but full sun was shining at it. Yet, what I reported is what it was. Testing continues through today. Teaser: this morning at 7:45 AM--fridge temp was 31° f. Last night it did cool down outside quite a lot.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Take a look at Myron's stats as an example though Bob. In almost every case, the 4.3 is doing exactly what its designed to do - to maintain spec temperatures when ambient air temps are up to 85F. That's a SN rated fridge.

More to your point though, I know of no 3 way fridge with a similar capacity that is less than 22" wide and can fit through the door. In order for Escape to go to a different manufacturer or model, that's a redesign of the trailer shell - and the door in particular. I think Reace would love nothing better than to have a fridge that performs well in the 90s and 100s. As to why Dometic won't sell a tropical rated version of this fridge in North America (they do make one - like this one for example: RM8501, 106LT FRIDGE, LH | Dometic Australia) I have no idea, and they won't say.
Re read post #110 . The 2 previous Dometic I had didn't have these huge clearance's all around .Dometic recommends 0-1 in all around . Don't know about yours but the cavity back there is way over that . The walls of these new frigs are not as insulated or thick as someone posted earlier mentioned Insulation is very important . It is interesting if you have the new and improved 6.7 you are happy . Good for you . You are not experiencing what we are. I changed out my heating element in both my previous Dometic's and also removed them for other reason's . One in a 1979 class C , one in a 1992 camper . I owned both for 12-13 years each and was 2nd owners with both so they were old hence needed a little 40. repair . You don't think we know what we are experiencing ? As Jubal said maybe not sell this 4.3 unit anymore unless you know what you are in for . I have said before even though I didn't want or need a huge frig if I knew what I know now would of gotten the 6.7 instead for 200 more . I am getting close to spending that now anyway . Pat
Old 07-01-2015, 12:48 PM   #134

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Speaking of taking a cooler, I wonder what the temp in those things are when sitting in 90F weather (but I don't care enough to find out). I'm also wondering if in the old days, the RV refers were all that good. I never even thought about measuring the temp inside mine until all this came up for discussion. Now we have the remote sensors that maybe tell us more than we ever knew in the past. Just pondering here...
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:56 PM   #135

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Speaking of older models. Couple days ago thermometer registered 90.1 F inside the trailer and 42 F in the 5.0 cu. ft. fridge set on 5. But, the fridge hadn't been opened for a couple days.
I expect if I had grabbed a beer, the fridge temp would have risen four degrees and taken some time to cool down again.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:57 PM   #136

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Speaking of taking a cooler, I wonder what the temp in those things are when sitting in 90F weather (but I don't care enough to find out). I'm also wondering if in the old days, the RV refers were all that good. I never even thought about measuring the temp inside mine until all this came up for discussion. Now we have the remote sensors that maybe tell us more than we ever knew in the past. Just pondering here...
I have thought the same thing several times about having the thermometers with remote sensors. Maybe we have too much information and things have not changed that much.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:08 PM   #137

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
I still would not want the 6.7. Even with the performance of the 4.3 being marginal (which I think is close to being equal to the new 6.7) above 90 degrees I can live with it. Its a RV fridge and non of them work like a residential home fridge. I would rather just pull the freezer when its above 90.

Reace mentioned once that he talked with Norcold and they would not guarantee any better performance.

Sarcasm never solves problems. Life is short, take a cooler and spend more time camping and less time complaining.
Hi: Kountrykamper... "Take a cooler". Would that be Seagrams or Mikes? Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:17 PM   #138

A few weeks ago, I bought a pretty pricey ($240US) 35qt Canyon Cooler. Has a neoprene gasket on the lid, two latches, and is made of kayak material. I put 18 cold cans of beer in it with along with two bags of grocery store ice. Came home after 5 days with three cans of beer and a bunch of ice. It was a fun experiment. Conclusion: anything that needs to be REAL cold should be in the ice chest. Anything that needs to be preserved and fresh goes in our 4.3.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:49 PM   #139

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Kountrykamper... "Take a cooler". Would that be Seagrams or Mikes? Alf
Seagrams!
Old 07-01-2015, 01:50 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
A few weeks ago, I bought a pretty pricey ($240US) 35qt Canyon Cooler. Has a neoprene gasket on the lid, two latches, and is made of kayak material. I put 18 cold cans of beer in it with along with two bags of grocery store ice. Came home after 5 days with three cans of beer and a bunch of ice. It was a fun experiment. Conclusion: anything that needs to be REAL cold should be in the ice chest. Anything that needs to be preserved and fresh goes in our 4.3.
Ahead of you Rich bought a Penquin cooler a year ago a little cheaper but made real well . After done with this fixing need to drag along . In the 19 , 2 people and 3 dogs got to find a place . Don't want to have to go out to truck every time . That was the purpose for better table lift . Can stick cooler on passenger bench and still sit at table . In winter the smaller cooler works ok . Fits right under fridge . Summer is the problem . Pat