Dometic RMD8555 Frustration - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2015, 12:28 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
Absorbtion fridges can be made to work in over 100F - and most of the older ones did. The older RV Dometic fridges all worked at least well into the 90s or higher. (Including the pre-RMx8xxx models in Escapes.) The Australian discussion boards really lit up when the RMx8xxx fridges came out because they were the first ones to work poorly in Australia

See "Climate Class"
Making caravan fridges work as claimed
Forum | Caravan & Motorhome | RV Tips, Travel, Camping, Swap, Social Chat. - View topic - How does Dometic make the ‘T’ Rating
I your quote about the outside vent ? Pat

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:52 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
I moved the thermistor and got poorer performance, which I do not understand. So I am running the fridge with the thermistor in the factory position.

are 1) adding interior insulation to the back wall below the fins, 2) researching/improving the heat transfer goop between the interior fins and the cooling system,
Oh, that is strange. Mine is just hanging and it seemed to help. Then again, I did the doors' insulation trick too. Part of the voodoo I guess. Is there a way to test the thermistor?

The heat paste between the fins and the wall area is a blast from the past. I recall hearing how lots of guys were pleased with the results of redoing the factory paste with proven stuff, back in my overclocking days. Please do keep us updated on that.

BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:16 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner
Quote:
Absorbtion fridges can be made to work in over 100F - and most of the older ones did. The older RV Dometic fridges all worked at least well into the 90s or higher. (Including the pre-RMx8xxx models in Escapes.) The Australian discussion boards really lit up when the RMx8xxx fridges came out because they were the first ones to work poorly in Australia

See "Climate Class"
Making caravan fridges work as claimed
Forum | Caravan & Motorhome | RV Tips, Travel, Camping, Swap, Social Chat. - View topic - How does Dometic make the ‘T’ Rating

Are you saying that many Escapes have had refrigerators that work over 100F? If so, we certainly do not seem to hear from such people but ones where the refrigerator does not work even in the high 80's. Our last Escape refrigerator did not work as well as the present one and I don't think the old one was in the group you mentioned above.

I saw a comment that I believe was from Trailer Life that absorption refrigerators could work to the high 80's and possibly high 90's --- but that really only means high 80's to me, confirming what I have seen elsewhere.

We have had someone here say that the higher rated refrigerators are not sold in the U.S. Maybe they are sold in Australia? The European ratings are for both compressor and absorption.

Also, I saw someone mention that ratings can be claims and not actual performance.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:22 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
When the RML8555 problems were a hot topic here last year I was searching info on the RMD8555 and came across several threads from down under. They were griping about the RMD- so there is no perfect cure out there it seems even if one had a "tropic" rated one. More all about the limitations of the absorption technology. With our 3.0 in the 17B it ran great on 3 all the time. Don't remember a single complaint here about the 3.0. Maybe that's why Oliver is sticking with the small units?
Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:51 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Some input regarding the old-style fridge: ours is a 5.0cf model 2510, 2009 vintage. The thermostat can be set from 1 to 7, we hardly ever go over 3 1/2. The highest I've ever had to set it was 5 on a 98* afternoon in Winnemucca with the fridge side of the trailer in full sun.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:11 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
When the RML8555 problems were a hot topic here last year I was searching info on the RMD8555 and came across several threads from down under. They were griping about the RMD- so there is no perfect cure out there it seems even if one had a "tropic" rated one. More all about the limitations of the absorption technology. With our 3.0 in the 17B it ran great on 3 all the time. Don't remember a single complaint here about the 3.0. Maybe that's why Oliver is sticking with the small units?
Oliver is using the dometic RM2454 refer, basically the same size rough in dimensions as the RM8551 and will fit through the escape tt door.
Oliver Forums • View topic - Legacy Elite II Dometic RM2454 refer
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:08 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We had a 2005 Casita with a Dometic Americana (RM2454 ? not sure) absorption fridge. I lived in it for the month of June in Phoenix several years ago. Highs from the upper 90s to 110.

No problem on 110V - kept ice cream hard in the freezer, kept the fridge in the upper 30s.

Most (IMO, maybe many or some) older fridges worked into the 100s or at least upper 90s. Most of the Escape owner complaints about fridge performance are from the RMx8xxx series users, not from the older fridges.

The RMD8555 can keep the freezer compartment at 15 (or better) for most of us into the 90s/100s. That says absorption fridges CAN work into the 100s. Dometic has simply made a fridge (RMx8xxx series) with an inadequate cooling and insulation system. Marketing told gave the engineers the specs and they designed a system to do as requested (and no more.)
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wray View Post
Some input regarding the old-style fridge: ours is a 5.0cf model 2510, 2009 vintage. The thermostat can be set from 1 to 7, we hardly ever go over 3 1/2. The highest I've ever had to set it was 5 on a 98* afternoon in Winnemucca with the fridge side of the trailer in full sun.

Bruce
What temps did you have in the refrigerator when it was in the 90's?
Old 10-31-2015, 04:51 PM   #29

Quote:
We had a 2005 Casita with a Dometic Americana (RM2454 ? not sure) absorption fridge. I lived in it for the month of June in Phoenix several years ago. Highs from the upper 90s to 110.

No problem on 110V - kept ice cream hard in the freezer, kept the fridge in the upper 30s.

Most (IMO, maybe many or some) older fridges worked into the 100s or at least upper 90s. Most of the Escape owner complaints about fridge performance are from the RMx8xxx series users, not from the older fridges.

The RMD8555 can keep the freezer compartment at 15 (or better) for most of us into the 90s/100s. That says absorption fridges CAN work into the 100s. Dometic has simply made a fridge (RMx8xxx series) with an inadequate cooling and insulation system. Marketing told gave the engineers the specs and they designed a system to do as requested (and no more.)

I am referring to the refrigerator not the freezer, and that is what I believe the information I have seen has referred to. It is my impression that people are not having a problem with the freezer usually and think it is fine, but many times they are not getting temps into the 30s for the refrigerator.

If the Americana works well for the refrigerator, then that is good to know.

We see the comments by Oliver owners but unfortunately, although one answers "yes" to temps going into the 30s in high heat, it is not an unqualified "yes." Neither that person nor anyone else says that they actually checked the refrigerator with a gauge, and a couple were at high 80's or 85, when the problem is usually at temps above that.

We have not had the new one in high heat for long so can't say yet on that. Just know it cools down much faster.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:16 PM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Cathy- fridge stayed in the upper 30s, freezer in single digits.

Bruce

Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote