Dometic RMD8555 Frustration - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2016, 09:11 PM   #81

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
A touch off subject, but opened my refrigerator door yesterday and it almost fell off! A little scary since my dog sleeps in her bed right next to it. Came out of the little peg on the top but was held up by the brace at the bottom. I always bungee the door closed when I tow, so very surprised to see that happen. The cans of beer in the door don't weigh THAT much!
Old 05-13-2016, 09:39 PM   #82

Trailer: Escape 21
I also question the seals around the door. When we unlatch the fridge doors so we can finger pull them while we are camped, the alarm starts going off. The last two refrigerators we had in other RV's had a suction when you open the door.
How were the temperatures in you refrigerator? I never even thought of a door falling off! That is crazy!
Take_a_hike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:50 PM   #83

It IS kind of crazy -- definitely a first in my life-long refrigerator experiences. I'm not very mechanical--it was all I could do to negotiate lifting up the bottom and trying to fit the top back in the pin. Will have to find somewhere to get it checked out so it doesn't happen again.

The temperature is fine though. Seal good when the door is closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take_a_hike View Post
I also question the seals around the door. When we unlatch the fridge doors so we can finger pull them while we are camped, the alarm starts going off. The last two refrigerators we had in other RV's had a suction when you open the door.
How were the temperatures in you refrigerator? I never even thought of a door falling off! That is crazy!
Old 05-14-2016, 06:29 AM   #84

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The door falling off, or similar, has come up a few times before. A quick search points to a bunch of threads like this one. I didn't read them to see if it's the same issue.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...-off-6717.html
Old 05-14-2016, 09:54 AM   #85

Thanks, Padlin. Similar but most people have had problems while traveling. I bungee my door and have never had an issue. This occurred after I had been stationary at a new site for a month. It was encouraging to read that a distributor replaced the door for one that fell off. Thanks, again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
The door falling off, or similar, has come up a few times before. A quick search points to a bunch of threads like this one. I didn't read them to see if it's the same issue.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...-off-6717.html
Old 05-14-2016, 10:07 AM   #86

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
My (a single door 5 cu ft) door fell off this winter. The lower hinge bracket cracked & allowed the lower pin to drop enough that the top pin came clear of the door. Evidently it happens often enough that the Quartzsite RV dealer knew the part number of the top of his head when I described the problem. I ordered a Lower Right Hinge for around $20.00. I suspect the same bracket is used for a number of different refrigerators.

It took me about 20 minutes to replace it. One point - the pin itself is a different part from the hinge (it threads into the hinge). Be sure to save the old one or order both parts...

I now carry less weight in the door when traveling, and have added a strap across the door.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:35 PM   #87

Thanks, Jon!
Weird thing though is that the bottom bracket is fine, solid as can be. The door came off at the top so there must be a weakness in the top pin. I'm kind of afraid to play with it and try to reenact what happened in case it won't stay the next time I get it in place. (mine's the 3 cu ft)
Located several Dometic dealers within 20 miles or so. Will be checking with them.
As always, appreciate the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
My (a single door 5 cu ft) door fell off this winter. The lower hinge bracket cracked & allowed the lower pin to drop enough that the top pin came clear of the door. Evidently it happens often enough that the Quartzsite RV dealer knew the part number of the top of his head when I described the problem. I ordered a Lower Right Hinge for around $20.00. I suspect the same bracket is used for a number of different refrigerators.

It took me about 20 minutes to replace it. One point - the pin itself is a different part from the hinge (it threads into the hinge). Be sure to save the old one or order both parts...

I now carry less weight in the door when traveling, and have added a strap across the door.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:57 PM   #88

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Just an update on the RMD8555. Today was just over 25C and our fridge is set to 4 and we were in and out of the fridge quite a few times.
A couple days ago it was about 12C and I froze the salad and a cucumber, had to set the fridge to 3.
Only mod besides the extra freezer insulation was to remove the thermistor from the holder and let it hang down.

Cheers
Doug
Old 06-07-2016, 02:22 PM   #89
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Good to hear Doug, but 25C is pretty cool for these parts. It's around 34C during the afternoon here. The fridge is performing quite well - 38f or 3c, set on 4. No mods done to the fridge at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2016, 10:48 PM   #90

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I'm currently in the high 80s and been running the fridge empty. At first it was on the high end of the allowable temp range so I removed the thermistor fom the holder and its been running perfectly now for about 4 days on a 4 setting.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:59 PM   #91

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Loving our Escape 21 (born 9/2015), but...

Has anyone else noticed the RMD 8555 isn't designed to work on propane at altitude above 1000 meters (3280 ft)? We are currently in the Mtns of Colorado and we're NOT happy to discover the fact it won't light is "not a malfunction."

Is there a retrofit? Should we consider getting a smaller fridge that will work in the Mtns? (The Americana in our 1999 Casita worked FINE on propane at 9300 ft.)

As things are, we are using our RMD8555 as an icebox...
Old 08-01-2016, 04:02 PM   #92

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Did you try 12v operation? Not sure if you have solar and dual 6 volts, but it should run off 12v or 120v if plugged in.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:57 PM   #93

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Has anyone else noticed the RMD 8555 isn't designed to work on propane at altitude above 1000 meters (3280 ft)? We are currently in the Mtns of Colorado and we're NOT happy to discover the fact it won't light is "not a malfunction."
Not that I have a solution, but we just returned from 6 days camping at 9700 feet elevation (Bear Lake Campground, CO). None of the propane appliances seemed to have any problems. Fridge was cold and water was hot...

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:05 PM   #94

Wow, Alan. We were at 9800 and now we are at 9300. No go, either place. Yes, all of the other propane appliances work. After a few attempts to get the fridge to go, I pulled out the book and found, written in the fine print, that above 1000 meters (3280 ft), it is not considered a malfunction if it won't light. (Sigh) Maybe we'll be able to figure out an adjustment... Thanks for you your feedback!
Old 08-01-2016, 05:06 PM   #95
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Haven't had any problems with ours over 6000 ft. Might be oil in the orifice that needs to be cleaned out..........

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:12 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Did you try 12v operation? Not sure if you have solar and dual 6 volts, but it should run off 12v or 120v if plugged in.
Yes, Jim. We are camping without hookup. We ran the fridge on 12v while underway, through Kansas to central Colorado. Ran about 55F, and put our group 29 battery in the "fair" position... Did not make us want to keep it on 12v. (I'm saving the 12v for the water pump and my shower.)

We didn't expect great results while we were in Kansas (day time hit 104F one day we were there), but thought "once we get to the mountains we'll be fine." Imagine our surprise.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:13 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Haven't had any problems with ours over 6000 ft. Might be oil in the orifice that needs to be cleaned out..........
Thanks, Charlie. Our next stop is at 6900 ft. I'm hopeful...
Old 08-01-2016, 05:15 PM   #98

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
... Maybe we'll be able to figure out an adjustment...
I don't know if this is practical, but can you remove the outside cover and try to light the propane with a match or butane lighter? Thinking - that if the flame ignites and stays lit, then perhaps the sparker needs a tweak.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:26 PM   #99

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Not that I have a solution, but we just returned from 6 days camping at 9700 feet elevation (Bear Lake Campground, CO). None of the propane appliances seemed to have any problems. Fridge was cold and water was hot...

--
Alan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Same with me. I spent several weeks at high elevations in Utah and Colorado and had no problems running the refrigerator on propane.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:51 PM   #100

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We had no issues in Yellowstone Park last fall with our RMD8555. I'm now worried about future camping as we frequent the high country for fishing a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote