Dometic RMD8555 Frustration - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2016, 06:10 PM   #101

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Yes, Jim. We are camping without hookup. We ran the fridge on 12v while underway, through Kansas to central Colorado. Ran about 55F, and put our group 29 battery in the "fair" position... Did not make us want to keep it on 12v. (I'm saving the 12v for the water pump and my shower.)

We didn't expect great results while we were in Kansas (day time hit 104F one day we were there), but thought "once we get to the mountains we'll be fine." Imagine our surprise.
Hi: Mary F... I believe that the propane regulator and fridge can be adjusted to work better, not optimal, but better at higher elevations. A quick call to Reace might be in order, or a visit to a Dometic dealer up there.
We had a minor problem with ours this weekend but it was the auto regulator not switching over automatically. Might have froze in the extreme heat/humidity. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:36 PM   #102

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
My driveway is at 8600' and we frequently camp at 9500 -> 10,000, never had a problem.

My auto-regulator is also a bit flakey when it comes to switching over; but I'm OK with that. I can flip the lever and I'd prefer to know when 1 tank runs out.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #103

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Thanks, guys. Your input gives me hope that we're just maladjusted. We checked the bottles/regulator, and did try lighting with a "clicker" but pretty much gave up once I saw the line in the manual about it not being a malfunction if it wouldn't light above 3280 ft. If we get it resolved, I will report back. Thanks again.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #104

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
Another Update On Replacement RMD8555
I originally started this post last fall and gave an update earlier this summer on our replacement RMD8555. I thought I might give a new update as my wife and I just spent seven nights at Topsail Hill State Park in Florida with some pretty hot weather (heat index over 100 some days).

The only thing that I have changed since our earlier trips was to move the Thermistor off of the fins and move the External Fan Thermostat right next to the water tray. I moved the External Fan Thermostat down the pipe and right next to the water tray as the location were it was originally placed seldom got hot enough to turn the fans on. This new location is closer to the heat source and seems to get hotter. Keep in mind that we freeze water bottles before our trips and place in both the fridge and freezer.

From the time we left until we returned home, the fridge temperature ranged from 27F to 35F. The 35F reading came while traveling with the unit on battery. We saw 34F one time while camping when we loaded some items from the grocery store. For 98% of the trip, the temperature ranged from 28F to 32F, with the temperature staying 30F to 31F most of the time.

This might be a little on the cold side as grapes were covered in a thin layer of ice when removing them from the fridge. We even had water bottles still frozen solid in the fridge after seven days. We are still happy with our replacement RMD8555. Hopefully this performance will continue.

Thanks,
Mark
Drumstick63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:34 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumstick63 View Post
Another Update On Replacement RMD8555
I originally started this post last fall and gave an update earlier this summer on our replacement RMD8555. I thought I might give a new update as my wife and I just spent seven nights at Topsail Hill State Park in Florida with some pretty hot weather (heat index over 100 some days).

The only thing that I have changed since our earlier trips was to move the Thermistor off of the fins and move the External Fan Thermostat right next to the water tray. I moved the External Fan Thermostat down the pipe and right next to the water tray as the location were it was originally placed seldom got hot enough to turn the fans on. This new location is closer to the heat source and seems to get hotter. Keep in mind that we freeze water bottles before our trips and place in both the fridge and freezer.

From the time we left until we returned home, the fridge temperature ranged from 27F to 35F. The 35F reading came while traveling with the unit on battery. We saw 34F one time while camping when we loaded some items from the grocery store. For 98% of the trip, the temperature ranged from 28F to 32F, with the temperature staying 30F to 31F most of the time.

This might be a little on the cold side as grapes were covered in a thin layer of ice when removing them from the fridge. We even had water bottles still frozen solid in the fridge after seven days. We are still happy with our replacement RMD8555. Hopefully this performance will continue.

Thanks,
Mark
Hi: Drumstick63... Frozen grapes makes nice "Iced wine".http://www.theicehouse.ca Alf
Old 08-03-2016, 06:57 AM   #106
T&R

Trailer: "Olaf" 2015 21'..... 2015 Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Thanks, guys. Your input gives me hope that we're just maladjusted.
Perhaps your trailer is not currently as level as it needs to be for the unit to work on propane?

Also I'm discouraged with the performance of the RMD8555 especially since during our Sept 2015 orientation Rae specifically said that the new double door model worked perfectly and didn't have any issues staying cool.
T&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:20 PM   #107

Smile

Quote:
Thanks, guys. Your input gives me hope that we're just maladjusted. We checked the bottles/regulator, and did try lighting with a "clicker" but pretty much gave up once I saw the line in the manual about it not being a malfunction if it wouldn't light above 3280 ft. If we get it resolved, I will report back. Thanks again.
Stopped for a night on the south side of Sanra Fe, NM, altitude approximately 6900 ft. Propane fired up right away and fridge was on all night. I'm happier...
Old 08-04-2016, 01:39 PM   #108

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
glad it is working.....now if we can clear up the import backlog and double daily production a lot more others will become happy....
Old 08-04-2016, 02:37 PM   #109

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
So, what was the fix?
Old 08-04-2016, 02:47 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
So, what was the fix?
hi: gbaglo... A little "Altitude" adjustment!!! Alf
Old 08-04-2016, 04:16 PM   #111

Ding ding ding!!! Alf got it.

9800ft = no
9300ft = no
6900ft = yes

So I am happiER... And hopeful we can figure a tweak so that it will work at the higher campgrounds as well. Still on the road for now...
Old 08-04-2016, 04:37 PM   #112
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

So I am happiER... And hopeful we can figure a tweak so that it will work at the higher campgrounds as well. Still on the road for now...
I wonder if changing the regulator and hoses on the tanks would help? I only say that because I know some have and mentioned they thought the propane appliances were functioning better...

I don't know if this is the right one, but the brand "Marshall" has been mentioned: https://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Exce.../dp/B005F33270
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:02 PM   #113

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
The MEGR-9984 model is an older model of regulator. I have it on my 2014, although mine is a Fairview GR-9984, not Marshall. I just ordered a replacement from Escape, as my fridge is acting up intermittently on propane. The replacement from Escape is the Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253. The newer model seems to have good reviews, so may be more reliable.

https://www.amazon.com/Exceisior-MEG...7FRY9GDBEP7R23
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:11 PM   #114
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Kirk, if it's any help, I replaced the stock regulator with the MEGR-253H excela-flow and it made the fridge cool better, the stove cook better, and the water heater make hot water more quickly. The difference is not that dramatic, but it is noticeable. I'm very pleased with it.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:04 AM   #115

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Kirk, if it's any help, I replaced the stock regulator with the MEGR-253H excela-flow and it made the fridge cool better, the stove cook better, and the water heater make hot water more quickly. The difference is not that dramatic, but it is noticeable. I'm very pleased with it.
We did the same using the 253H model and had the same results.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:08 AM   #116

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Did you need to adjust it after install?
Old 08-05-2016, 08:39 AM   #117

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
I had to adjust ours. It was running about 13" and had to turn it down.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:27 AM   #118

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
I had to adjust ours. It was running about 13" and had to turn it down.
What is the disadvantage of running it at 12 or 13 ... Or 14 for a little more heat in the flue?
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:11 AM   #119

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
RV components are designed to run on 10-14" WC, you could theoretically set it from 11-13 as the regulator adds 1" to the set point before it'll shutdown for safety. Suggested is shoot for the middle of the range, or 11", which is a possible 12" output when add factor in the 1" lockup.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:56 AM   #120

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
RV components are designed to run on 10-14" WC, you could theoretically set it from 11-13 as the regulator adds 1" to the set point before it'll shutdown for safety. Suggested is shoot for the middle of the range, or 11", which is a possible 12" output when add factor in the 1" lockup.
I was thinking with a fixed orifice in the frig burner a little more pressure would raise the flue temp? People who are changing regulators have reported better performances but any 'high flow' regulator is restricted by the orifice size? So only pressure would increase total propane in the burner?

Reace told me they were making sure the regulators were at 11 as he saw them lower. Just thinking .. why not go for 12-13 and look for a little more juice?
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote