Dometic RMD8555 Frustration - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-13-2016, 09:11 PM   #81
Senior Member
 
EDarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Posts: 552
A touch off subject, but opened my refrigerator door yesterday and it almost fell off! A little scary since my dog sleeps in her bed right next to it. Came out of the little peg on the top but was held up by the brace at the bottom. I always bungee the door closed when I tow, so very surprised to see that happen. The cans of beer in the door don't weigh THAT much!
__________________

__________________
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
C.S. Lewis
EDarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:39 PM   #82
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Thousand Oaks, California
Trailer: Escape 21
Posts: 85
I also question the seals around the door. When we unlatch the fridge doors so we can finger pull them while we are camped, the alarm starts going off. The last two refrigerators we had in other RV's had a suction when you open the door.
How were the temperatures in you refrigerator? I never even thought of a door falling off! That is crazy!
__________________

Take_a_hike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:50 PM   #83
Senior Member
 
EDarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Posts: 552
It IS kind of crazy -- definitely a first in my life-long refrigerator experiences. I'm not very mechanical--it was all I could do to negotiate lifting up the bottom and trying to fit the top back in the pin. Will have to find somewhere to get it checked out so it doesn't happen again.

The temperature is fine though. Seal good when the door is closed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Take_a_hike View Post
I also question the seals around the door. When we unlatch the fridge doors so we can finger pull them while we are camped, the alarm starts going off. The last two refrigerators we had in other RV's had a suction when you open the door.
How were the temperatures in you refrigerator? I never even thought of a door falling off! That is crazy!
__________________
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
C.S. Lewis
EDarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:29 AM   #84
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 3,535
The door falling off, or similar, has come up a few times before. A quick search points to a bunch of threads like this one. I didn't read them to see if it's the same issue.

Frig. Door fell Off ?
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:54 AM   #85
Senior Member
 
EDarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Posts: 552
Thanks, Padlin. Similar but most people have had problems while traveling. I bungee my door and have never had an issue. This occurred after I had been stationary at a new site for a month. It was encouraging to read that a distributor replaced the door for one that fell off. Thanks, again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
The door falling off, or similar, has come up a few times before. A quick search points to a bunch of threads like this one. I didn't read them to see if it's the same issue.

Frig. Door fell Off ?
__________________
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
C.S. Lewis
EDarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:07 AM   #86
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Posts: 2,138
My (a single door 5 cu ft) door fell off this winter. The lower hinge bracket cracked & allowed the lower pin to drop enough that the top pin came clear of the door. Evidently it happens often enough that the Quartzsite RV dealer knew the part number of the top of his head when I described the problem. I ordered a Lower Right Hinge for around $20.00. I suspect the same bracket is used for a number of different refrigerators.

It took me about 20 minutes to replace it. One point - the pin itself is a different part from the hinge (it threads into the hinge). Be sure to save the old one or order both parts...

I now carry less weight in the door when traveling, and have added a strap across the door.
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2016 Tacoma, 2017 21
Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:35 PM   #87
Senior Member
 
EDarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Posts: 552
Thanks, Jon!
Weird thing though is that the bottom bracket is fine, solid as can be. The door came off at the top so there must be a weakness in the top pin. I'm kind of afraid to play with it and try to reenact what happened in case it won't stay the next time I get it in place. (mine's the 3 cu ft)
Located several Dometic dealers within 20 miles or so. Will be checking with them.
As always, appreciate the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
My (a single door 5 cu ft) door fell off this winter. The lower hinge bracket cracked & allowed the lower pin to drop enough that the top pin came clear of the door. Evidently it happens often enough that the Quartzsite RV dealer knew the part number of the top of his head when I described the problem. I ordered a Lower Right Hinge for around $20.00. I suspect the same bracket is used for a number of different refrigerators.

It took me about 20 minutes to replace it. One point - the pin itself is a different part from the hinge (it threads into the hinge). Be sure to save the old one or order both parts...

I now carry less weight in the door when traveling, and have added a strap across the door.
__________________
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
C.S. Lewis
EDarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:57 PM   #88
Senior Member
 
PGDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southern Alberta, Alberta
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 1,402
Just an update on the RMD8555. Today was just over 25C and our fridge is set to 4 and we were in and out of the fridge quite a few times.
A couple days ago it was about 12C and I froze the salad and a cucumber, had to set the fridge to 3.
Only mod besides the extra freezer insulation was to remove the thermistor from the holder and let it hang down.

Cheers
Doug
__________________
Doug & Eileen
2015 Escape 5.0TA
2015 GMC Sierra Crew 4X4 6.2 8 speed
PGDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:22 PM   #89
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,176
Good to hear Doug, but 25C is pretty cool for these parts. It's around 34C during the afternoon here. The fridge is performing quite well - 38f or 3c, set on 4. No mods done to the fridge at all.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:48 PM   #90
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 2,034
I'm currently in the high 80s and been running the fridge empty. At first it was on the high end of the allowable temp range so I removed the thermistor fom the holder and its been running perfectly now for about 4 days on a 4 setting.
__________________

Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.