Dometic RMD8555 Frustration - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2015, 11:28 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
Absorbtion fridges can be made to work in over 100F - and most of the older ones did. The older RV Dometic fridges all worked at least well into the 90s or higher. (Including the pre-RMx8xxx models in Escapes.) The Australian discussion boards really lit up when the RMx8xxx fridges came out because they were the first ones to work poorly in Australia

See "Climate Class"
Making caravan fridges work as claimed
Forum | Caravan & Motorhome | RV Tips, Travel, Camping, Swap, Social Chat. - View topic - How does Dometic make the ‘T’ Rating
I your quote about the outside vent ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:52 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
I moved the thermistor and got poorer performance, which I do not understand. So I am running the fridge with the thermistor in the factory position.

are 1) adding interior insulation to the back wall below the fins, 2) researching/improving the heat transfer goop between the interior fins and the cooling system,
Oh, that is strange. Mine is just hanging and it seemed to help. Then again, I did the doors' insulation trick too. Part of the voodoo I guess. Is there a way to test the thermistor?

The heat paste between the fins and the wall area is a blast from the past. I recall hearing how lots of guys were pleased with the results of redoing the factory paste with proven stuff, back in my overclocking days. Please do keep us updated on that.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:16 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Absorbtion fridges can be made to work in over 100F - and most of the older ones did. The older RV Dometic fridges all worked at least well into the 90s or higher. (Including the pre-RMx8xxx models in Escapes.) The Australian discussion boards really lit up when the RMx8xxx fridges came out because they were the first ones to work poorly in Australia

See "Climate Class"
Making caravan fridges work as claimed
Forum | Caravan & Motorhome | RV Tips, Travel, Camping, Swap, Social Chat. - View topic - How does Dometic make the ‘T’ Rating

Are you saying that many Escapes have had refrigerators that work over 100F? If so, we certainly do not seem to hear from such people but ones where the refrigerator does not work even in the high 80's. Our last Escape refrigerator did not work as well as the present one and I don't think the old one was in the group you mentioned above.

I saw a comment that I believe was from Trailer Life that absorption refrigerators could work to the high 80's and possibly high 90's --- but that really only means high 80's to me, confirming what I have seen elsewhere.

We have had someone here say that the higher rated refrigerators are not sold in the U.S. Maybe they are sold in Australia? The European ratings are for both compressor and absorption.

Also, I saw someone mention that ratings can be claims and not actual performance.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:22 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
When the RML8555 problems were a hot topic here last year I was searching info on the RMD8555 and came across several threads from down under. They were griping about the RMD- so there is no perfect cure out there it seems even if one had a "tropic" rated one. More all about the limitations of the absorption technology. With our 3.0 in the 17B it ran great on 3 all the time. Don't remember a single complaint here about the 3.0. Maybe that's why Oliver is sticking with the small units?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:51 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Some input regarding the old-style fridge: ours is a 5.0cf model 2510, 2009 vintage. The thermostat can be set from 1 to 7, we hardly ever go over 3 1/2. The highest I've ever had to set it was 5 on a 98* afternoon in Winnemucca with the fridge side of the trailer in full sun.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:11 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
When the RML8555 problems were a hot topic here last year I was searching info on the RMD8555 and came across several threads from down under. They were griping about the RMD- so there is no perfect cure out there it seems even if one had a "tropic" rated one. More all about the limitations of the absorption technology. With our 3.0 in the 17B it ran great on 3 all the time. Don't remember a single complaint here about the 3.0. Maybe that's why Oliver is sticking with the small units?
Oliver is using the dometic RM2454 refer, basically the same size rough in dimensions as the RM8551 and will fit through the escape tt door.
Oliver Forums • View topic - Legacy Elite II Dometic RM2454 refer
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:08 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We had a 2005 Casita with a Dometic Americana (RM2454 ? not sure) absorption fridge. I lived in it for the month of June in Phoenix several years ago. Highs from the upper 90s to 110.

No problem on 110V - kept ice cream hard in the freezer, kept the fridge in the upper 30s.

Most (IMO, maybe many or some) older fridges worked into the 100s or at least upper 90s. Most of the Escape owner complaints about fridge performance are from the RMx8xxx series users, not from the older fridges.

The RMD8555 can keep the freezer compartment at 15 (or better) for most of us into the 90s/100s. That says absorption fridges CAN work into the 100s. Dometic has simply made a fridge (RMx8xxx series) with an inadequate cooling and insulation system. Marketing told gave the engineers the specs and they designed a system to do as requested (and no more.)
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wray View Post
Some input regarding the old-style fridge: ours is a 5.0cf model 2510, 2009 vintage. The thermostat can be set from 1 to 7, we hardly ever go over 3 1/2. The highest I've ever had to set it was 5 on a 98* afternoon in Winnemucca with the fridge side of the trailer in full sun.

Bruce
What temps did you have in the refrigerator when it was in the 90's?
Old 10-31-2015, 03:51 PM   #29

Quote:
We had a 2005 Casita with a Dometic Americana (RM2454 ? not sure) absorption fridge. I lived in it for the month of June in Phoenix several years ago. Highs from the upper 90s to 110.

No problem on 110V - kept ice cream hard in the freezer, kept the fridge in the upper 30s.

Most (IMO, maybe many or some) older fridges worked into the 100s or at least upper 90s. Most of the Escape owner complaints about fridge performance are from the RMx8xxx series users, not from the older fridges.

The RMD8555 can keep the freezer compartment at 15 (or better) for most of us into the 90s/100s. That says absorption fridges CAN work into the 100s. Dometic has simply made a fridge (RMx8xxx series) with an inadequate cooling and insulation system. Marketing told gave the engineers the specs and they designed a system to do as requested (and no more.)

I am referring to the refrigerator not the freezer, and that is what I believe the information I have seen has referred to. It is my impression that people are not having a problem with the freezer usually and think it is fine, but many times they are not getting temps into the 30s for the refrigerator.

If the Americana works well for the refrigerator, then that is good to know.

We see the comments by Oliver owners but unfortunately, although one answers "yes" to temps going into the 30s in high heat, it is not an unqualified "yes." Neither that person nor anyone else says that they actually checked the refrigerator with a gauge, and a couple were at high 80's or 85, when the problem is usually at temps above that.

We have not had the new one in high heat for long so can't say yet on that. Just know it cools down much faster.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:16 PM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Cathy- fridge stayed in the upper 30s, freezer in single digits.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:20 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wray View Post
Cathy- fridge stayed in the upper 30s, freezer in single digits.

Bruce
Bruce, I don't think ours did that well but I am afraid I did not pay close attention in hot weather. Just hope it works as well as yours did.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:11 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 21
We went camping last weekend parked in full shade, full hook-ups, at the beach and our refrigerator would only drop below 40* at the highest setting. We were very concerned about how we were going to keep food cold this summer. Our Escape has been with the Dometic Authorized "surgeon" this week. Diagnosis- it may be the circuit board or thermistor. He will call Dometic Monday. To be continued....
Take_a_hike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:34 PM   #33
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Our RMD replacement for the RML (under warranty) has done well so far, freezer at 15 and fridge in mid/upper 30s on the middle setting. However, it's only been in the 70s a few times while camping so far.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:28 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take_a_hike View Post
We went camping last weekend parked in full shade, full hook-ups, at the beach and our refrigerator would only drop below 40* at the highest setting. We were very concerned about how we were going to keep food cold this summer. Our Escape has been with the Dometic Authorized "surgeon" this week. Diagnosis- it may be the circuit board or thermistor. He will call Dometic Monday. To be continued....
Hi Mary- how is everything else? Those who get 30's on this fridge are rare it seems. We hover right at 40 with setting at 4-5. Was your stickie 5th wheel better?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:48 PM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Dometic RMD8555 Frustration

We get 36-38 degrees on 4th setting when the average outside temps are in the high 70s to low 80s. Above that we need the highest setting to stay sub 40. As long as we limit the number of times we open and close the fridge, it's worked fine for us, and we've used it in 90 degree weather. For an SN rated fridge, that's right in line with the expected performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2016, 05:57 AM   #36

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You didn't mention what the ambient temp was, but 40ish is what we get when it's pretty warm out. After attempting many "fixes" we just live with it and carry a cooler for the perishables in case it's needed. For the most part, if we carry our drinks in the cooler so the fridge stays closed it works out okay, but then we're not hot weather campers.

We find it runs a little cooler on propane.

I do wish there was a better option.

Good luck.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:23 AM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take_a_hike View Post
Hi: Take_a_hike... Sure hope the authorized "Surgeon" gets the solution figured out. I'm a die hard single door owner who has done a few simple things to improve the performance of our RML8555 Dometic fridge. We always make sure to press tight the door when closing it. It is very light weight and has a thin magnetic seal. I also found a hole in the bottom of the door... that let out copious amounts of cold air, specially when using the MaxxFan on exhaust mode. Plugged it!!! I also moved the thermistor off the cooling fins to more reflect the inner fridge temp. It's now located in the drain trough under the fins. It's very important to keep the condensation drain hose attached to the collection cup so as not to suck in too much warm air through it. We also experienced flame out while towing with the fridge on propane. Took steps to muffle some of the air flow through the external vent on the side of the trailer using a furnace filter material.
Not suggesting these tricks are any permanent fix... but they have helped the fridge stay in the operating range of temps. We haven't lost an ice cube yet!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:11 AM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I just returned from a trip in my Escape. On the last leg of the trip I inadvertently left the roof vent and bathroom vent open while traveling, and a window cracked open. Sure enough, when I got home I saw that the RMD8555 fridge was too warm, at around 50 F.

On previous legs of the trip I made sure to close the vents and windows when traveling, and I had no problems with the fridge. I kept the fridge on battery while traveling, and ambient temps were in the 80s F. When camping I had the fridge on propane and used the MaxxFan on intake mode, letting the air exhaust through a window. I had no problems with the fridge when parked.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:59 AM   #39

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, you do not want to create a negative pressure inside so it is good to close up completely while under tow.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:57 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hi Mary- how is everything else? Those who get 30's on this fridge are rare it seems. We hover right at 40 with setting at 4-5. Was your stickie 5th wheel better?
Hi Ross- We bought our first (used) camper in '82. Since then we have had 3 campers, a trailer and two 5th wheels. There was only one summer in 100+ heat that we had trouble keeping the refrigerator cool. ( I probably had too much stuff in it,too) not sure what brands they were. I think the last two were Norcold in the Nash and Cougar. I guess I have been spoiled by working refrigerators. Hopefully this guy will solve the problem. His small lot was filled with RV's and he is a one man show. Glad we were able to get it in before Memorial weekend. Hope we have a frustration free summer!
We had to take it to Burbank, so we can't do any mods😖! We are thinking about adding a Lagun table. Looks like your table came out nice!
Mary
Take_a_hike is offline   Reply With Quote