Dometic RMD8555 Frustration - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2016, 11:03 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take_a_hike View Post
We went camping last weekend parked in full shade, full hook-ups, at the beach and our refrigerator would only drop below 40* at the highest setting. We were very concerned about how we were going to keep food cold this summer. Our Escape has been with the Dometic Authorized "surgeon" this week. Diagnosis- it may be the circuit board or thermistor. He will call Dometic Monday. To be continued....
Please post back what you find. We had a similar problem in our new 21. When plugged in on a cool weekend the fridge never got below 40. And it was never especially warm in the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
... Those who get 30's on this fridge are rare it seems. We hover right at 40 with setting at 4-5.
How do you set the fridge to 5 bars? Ours always seems to stop at 4. It skips 5 bars and goes back to 1 bar.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:13 AM   #42

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
How do you set the fridge to 5 bars? Ours always seems to stop at 4. It skips 5 bars and goes back to 1 bar.
You set it to 5 the same way you set it to any other level, push the little thermometer button to move it along. If yours does not do so I'd find a repair shop.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:16 AM   #43

Trailer: Escape 21
Jill-
If your refrigerator is still under warranty, why don't you take it to an authorized repair person? Do it before Memorial weekend or they will be busy. I looked on yelp to see reviews of the repair people recommended by Dometic. We did try one locally first. They recommended the place (in Burbank) where we have it now because he is supposedly the best. He is also very busy! He has been going back-and-forth with Dometic for two weeks now. They want him to run different tests. He was unfamiliar with this fridge model, it is apparently built in Germany It has been difficult not having our new trailer to play with, but I need to have a working refrigerator!
Take_a_hike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:11 AM   #44

I wonder if our repair man has run this test?
https://youtu.be/txqAHaTpexc
Old 05-07-2016, 10:39 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take_a_hike View Post
Jill-
If your refrigerator is still under warranty, why don't you take it to an authorized repair person? Do it before Memorial weekend or they will be busy. I looked on yelp to see reviews of the repair people recommended by Dometic. We did try one locally first. They recommended the place (in Burbank) where we have it now because he is supposedly the best. He is also very busy! He has been going back-and-forth with Dometic for two weeks now. They want him to run different tests. He was unfamiliar with this fridge model, it is apparently built in Germany It has been difficult not having our new trailer to play with, but I need to have a working refrigerator!
Yeah we might have to do that. We can't get the 5th bar to come on at all so that could well be part of the problem. Too bad you have to take the whole trailer in to get it fixed though! Ours is really really difficult to get on and off our driveway, especially for us newbies. I might try to schedule the repair for prior to our next trip so we'll have it out anyway.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:03 AM   #46

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Rmd8555

Jill, we had a problem and called a mobile RV tech to come to our house. We didn't want to leave our trailer parked some where. The tech checked everything then called Dometic and they basically had him check the same things again and they sent a new circuit board. After the next trip the same problem, it would not turn on and another call by the tech to dometic and another circuit board. Now it has been working great, we have to watch that we don't freeze the lettuce and use 3 bars frequently. The OAT temps now are 50's and 60's which really helps although we have been in the 80's on this trip. We do load cold items at home, have one of the hanging plastic panels inside to prevent some of the air exchange when the door is open and I have two switches below the door, one turns a computer fan on inside and the other by passes the thermocouple in the back to manually turn on the factory fans when we reload with warm items and want rapid cooling. We are exposed to 90 and 100 temps and this fridge is handling it quite well, no ice chests for us. The single door unit was more of a challenge.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:12 PM   #47

Yes, there are mobile techs available. At this point I wish we had gone that route. But since this guy came so highly recommended we gave him a shot I did not realize it would take so long
Old 05-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #48

We used the local mobile tech to t-shoot and replace our fridge. Problem was the mobile guys spend a lot of time at campgrounds winterizing and dewinterizing seasonal folks who leave their trailers at the campground. May or may not be an issue depending where you are located.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:10 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
We used the local mobile tech to t-shoot and replace our fridge..
Good idea! I located a guy nearby with great reviews and will call him on Monday. We won't be able to camp for a while so no worries if we have a wait for service. Thanks!
Old 05-07-2016, 03:54 PM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... You don't have to go farther than your kitchen to have fridge troubles. Last year we bought a new 2K Fridgidaire 3 door. Once the power goes out, which happens here more and more, the fridge needs to be manually reset. That means for extended camping trips we can not leave food in it and no one home to turn it back on. Whoda thunk it!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:01 PM   #51

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: All... You don't have to go farther than your kitchen to have fridge troubles. Last year we bought a new 2K Fridgidaire 3 door. Once the power goes out, which happens here more and more, the fridge needs to be manually reset. That means for extended camping trips we can not leave food in it and no one home to turn it back on. Whoda thunk it!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
At least if didn't catch on fire . Whole article a while back how new appliances burn down your kitchen . Personally knew someone who with 9 mo old 3 door started to catch on fire from the lights inside . Luckily they were home . Maybe the Chinese parts everyone is using ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:52 PM   #52

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Left Monday fridge struggling at Vasquez Rocks ( beam down a new one Scotty)- bought some ice to save our food and it helped...got it to 40. Been at 40-42 through Bishop(OMG do i know the camping spot!...PM me - my Mammoth buddy 40 years in area didn't know. Then Janesville and now at Lava Beds it's at 44)-: I want new MB without a big diagnostic runaround. Does anybody out there know a tech who will phone it in

Had the RML, now the RMD and have to say while I prefer the separate freezer door it hasn't performed any better.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:56 PM   #53

Quote:
Left Monday fridge struggling at Vasquez Rocks ( beam down a new one Scotty)- bought some ice to save our food and it helped...got it to 40. Been at 40-42 through Bishop(OMG do i know the camping spot!...PM me - my Mammoth buddy 40 years in area didn't know. Then Janesville and now at Lava Beds it's at 44)-: I want new MB without a big diagnostic runaround. Does anybody out there know a tech who will phone it in

Had the RML, now the RMD and have to say while I prefer the separate freezer door it hasn't performed any better.
When you get home pull it and insulate the frig cabinet . My 2 previous Dometic frig's in 22 plus years both had the frig cabinets very insulated with the pink insulation packed in there .It is very important to have cabinet insulated . I believe I saw that in Dometic installation instructions .Also make sure you have a fan back there you can turn on to exhaust heat . Make sure you have a fan inside your frig . Shut it off when you open the door . This is assuming the frig is working fine . We have the single door but in 100 degree heat last summer got in morning on 4 31 . After opening went up to 44-46 but recovered real fast unlike before it took all day into the night . Now have fridge guard to try out . Maybe won't lose cold when I open door . Never take off 4 even in morning at 31 because we were in very hot weather and it gave it a running start . Pat
Old 05-07-2016, 06:58 PM   #54

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
The RMD is slightly better then the RML. Before a few mods we decided to just keep a plastic bucket with an ice block (if possible). Reminds us of the early days with a Coleman Ice Box with cold water spigot.

With my last mod we might try to use it without the ice bucket, but we'll keep it handy.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:00 PM   #55

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Thanks Pat- reminded me to add another item to my warranty punch list for Reace - why we never hear the standard fridge fan run.

Will do the insulation too
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:31 PM   #56

Quote:
Thanks Pat- reminded me to add another item to my warranty punch list for Reace - why we never hear the standard fridge fan run.

I've never heard the Texas fan run unless you bypass the thermistor, stock one might be the same.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:37 PM   #57

Quote:

My one fan on my frig never came on . Now I can control it . Once at the Rincon in the 70,s . Frig in the shade and frig went up to 56 . It didn't recover until night . Since my mods never had that kind of temp swing again and we were in the 90's ,100's last summer trip . I think the insulation helps keeping cold and not being affected by outside air , just like a thick walled cooler acts . Pat
Old 05-07-2016, 07:39 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
The RMD is slightly better then the RML. Before a few mods we decided to just keep a plastic bucket with an ice block (if possible). Reminds us of the early days with a Coleman Ice Box with cold water spigot.

With my last mod we might try to use it without the ice bucket, but we'll keep it handy.
Ok Klem what new mod to your frig have you done ? Inquiring minds want to know . Pat
Old 05-08-2016, 02:52 PM   #59

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Ok Klem what new mod to your frig have you done ? Inquiring minds want to know . Pat
Hi Pat, yes I will soon. A few clues, I had the cool air pickup for the RML going under the trailer and I added a much improved fan. Lower current draw and higher output.

Then the surprise, I found the freezer on the RMD is proportionally colder then the frig section (same as the RML). So I drilled 2 small holes in the freezer bottom and put a slow moving fan on 1 hole to circulate some of that colder air through the frig. When I turn off the frig for ferries, gas stations or whatever the little circulating fan keeps the frig cooler! (duhh)

But I have to admit Irma won't let us go anywhere without the good ole plastic bucket with ice in the frig 'for safety'. On too many trips we have been over focused on not letting our food spoil (which it has twice now) and with the ice box we have a margin of safety.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:27 PM   #60

Trailer: Escape 21 2016
We have a 21 hatching in November. Does anyone think there are options I should ask about that would make the fridge perform better? Maybe have the cabinet insulated during the build or adding a fan somewhere?
Playdog is offline   Reply With Quote