Don't bother purchasing this faucet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2016, 11:23 AM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Don't bother purchasing this faucet

If you find the double handle faucets a bother to use (they absolutely kill my hands) and you want to use a single lever faucet, don't bother. You're gonna be stuck with the two handles. I purchased the following single lever faucet and was told it would work in the bathroom.

https://www.amazon.com/Dura-Faucet-D.../dp/B00HYIKEKW

Well, unfortunately, as they tried to install it, they discovered it wouldn't work and it's too late to try to figure something else out. I didn't understand the reasoning for why it didn't work since I'm not actually inside the trailer to see what Tammy meant. Something about a lip of something or other that is custom made for them and now the pipes would have to be exposed to the living area if they used this faucet.

Yeah, like I said, I don't understand it. All I know is that the shower faucet I was really looking forward to using won't be installed, my hands will hurt after every single shower and water will be wasted as I'll have to adjust two handles instead of knowing exactly where to set the single lever (like I do at home). (I'm not a fan of using campground showers for reasons I won't get in to.)

And I think we have to keep the sink, which I really didn't want. I'm not 100% sure about that part of the conversation.

So, yeah, save your money and don't purchase this faucet. It won't work and you'll be wasting your money, time and hopes. It's too late to return to Amazon - I guess Goodwill is getting it as a donation.

Yes, Tammy did explain in both her email and her phone call that as they're building a trailer and a customer wants something customized, they may discover it won't work. Just call me super disappointed and discouraged right now. I'm posting this thread so others won't get into the same situation since I've posted several times about getting this faucet.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Bummer, I really like that faucet and I was hoping to have it installed on my 5.0 TA. Ask Tammy if it will fit on my model and I or probably someone else who doesn't want a sink will buy it from you.

Looking at the location of the sink on the 21, I can see how there can be an installation issue but on the 5.0 TA the faucet would go on a wall which is shared with a cabinet so it may be easier to use it there.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:50 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Anytime ETI is being asked to do something different for a customer or being asked to use a different product, there's always that chance the customer will be disappointed. I knew I wanted a bigger sink in my trailer than the standard bar sink. The agreement I had with ETI is that I would take the sink up to them and Reace would make the final decision whether he'd install it in my trailer. I was fortunate, but was prepared to hear "no."

Is there a paddle handle faucet that might work? Paddle handles don't require twisting knobs.

On edit... wait you said BATHROOM sink. That faucet does have small paddle handles and I can turn the water on and off (and adjust) using my knuckles! Shouldn't hurt your wrists at all.

If you want just the faucet for the shower, this is the one Larry Gamble (Little House Customs) installs. Maybe he can tell you the brand...
Attached Thumbnails
aee2bad1_bathrem2.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:02 PM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
Bummer, I really like that faucet and I was hoping to have it installed on my 5.0 TA. Ask Tammy if it will fit on my model and I or probably someone else who doesn't want a sink will buy it from you.
I've emailed and asked for photos of that area so I can (hopefully) better understand the situation, as I sure don't now. I'll update this thread with any info I get.

And, you're on your own for asking if it'll work for your trailer.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
On edit... wait you said BATHROOM sink. That faucet does have small paddle handles and I can turn the water on and off (and adjust) using my knuckles! Shouldn't hurt your wrists at all.
That's good to know, thanks. So, maybe it won't kill my hands quite as much. We'll find out later in December when it's parked outside and we start testing it out.

Here's a photo of the demo model that was at ETI and has been sold. I don't know if anything has changed in the bathroom from when this was taken.

I like the faucet in the photo you posted, but it's two different piping systems (I'm assuming) which I don't think the Escape trailers use.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04478.jpg  
Old 11-07-2016, 12:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post

And, you're on your own for asking if it'll work for your trailer.
I'm pretty sure I will in about 5 months as I get closer to having my build list finalized.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
I like the faucet in the photo you posted, but it's two different piping systems (I'm assuming) which I don't think the Escape trailers use.
You mentioned not getting a sink, so I thought the shower faucet had to be mounted on the wall...
Old 11-07-2016, 12:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
This is ours in our 19 without a sink. I am pretty sure you would be able to replace the turning knobs with levers somehow.
Once temperature of water is set, use the shut off on the shower head.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0546a.jpg  
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:46 PM   #9

Quote:
You mentioned not getting a sink, so I thought the shower faucet had to be mounted on the wall...
Ah, gotcha. I'm a bit slow on the uptake right now. Yeah, that's how I thought the faucet we wanted would be mounted, but I guess not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
This is ours in our 19 without a sink. I am pretty sure you would be able to replace the turning knobs with levers somehow.
Marry, I thought the one we gave them would replace what they already use, but there's probably something different with the plumbing or some such. I dunno. I'm still very bummed over the whole thing. Thanks for the photo, though.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
It might be the angle of the port the shower hose connects to and the trim piece right behind it. I believe the dura faucet is straight up and the one in Marry's picture is tilted forward a bit. Ask them if they can rotate 90 degrees where the the port is pointing down instead of up? They both use the same 4 inch on center inlets on the back side.

Just a thought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Once temperature of water is set, use the shut off on the shower head.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:41 PM   #11

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
On the 21 the faucet that would be used without a sink is mounted on the wall and in the 21 that wall is not hidden on the other side. In other words the other side of the wall is visible on the inside of the trailer, not in a cupboard, so if you mount a faucet on the wall then the pipes have to go through the wall and then go 90 degrees down. Since the wall is only 3/4" thick there is not enough room to put a 90 degree elbow in the wall and run the pipes down through the wall. The only way around it would be to thicken the wall and I would imagine that would entail a lot of work since it is right by the entrance. In a 19' the pipes go into the wardrobe so there is room to put an elbow in, though it would be visible inside the wardrobe so that is why it would work on a 19'. Ditto on a 17, and 5.0.

If you use a sink then the pipes come up inside the bathroom and up under the sink to the divertor that's mounted to the taps on the sink.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #12

Thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
On the 21 the faucet that would be used without a sink is mounted on the wall and in the 21 that wall is not hidden on the other side. In other words the other side of the wall is visible on the inside of the trailer, not in a cupboard, so if you mount a faucet on the wall then the pipes have to go through the wall and then go 90 degrees down. Since the wall is only 3/4" thick there is not enough room to put a 90 degree elbow in the wall and run the pipes down through the wall. The only way around it would be to thicken the wall and I would imagine that would entail a lot of work since it is right by the entrance. In a 19' the pipes go into the wardrobe so there is room to put an elbow in, though it would be visible inside the wardrobe so that is why it would work on a 19'. Ditto on a 17, and 5.0.

If you use a sink then the pipes come up inside the bathroom and up under the sink to the divertor that's mounted to the taps on the sink.

Barry
Old 11-07-2016, 03:29 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Thanks for clarifying.
The 5.0TA is different than the 21' Kent. In the TA, the bathroom sink is backed up to the "pantry." If ETI is willing to run the water pipe through the pantry for the wall faucet, it might be doable. It's not on the 21' because the sink is on a wall that faces into the trailer.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:50 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
On the 21 the faucet that would be used without a sink is mounted on the wall and in the 21 that wall is not hidden on the other side. In other words the other side of the wall is visible on the inside of the trailer, not in a cupboard,
Doesn't the new 21's have a cubby now standard behind the sink wall that would cover the piping?
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #15

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Doesn't the new 21's have a cubby now standard behind the sink wall that would cover the piping?
The cubbies are on the outside wall that's 90 degrees from the inside one where the pipes come up.

It's not just the pipes that is the problem it's mounting the faucet on a wall that is the problem. The faucet mounting threads are about 2 to 3" long so you'd need a really thick wall to be able to mount the faucet and hide the pipes.

I can't understand why someone who wants a single faucet in the bathroom of a 21 just doesn't install a single handle faucet with divertor on the sink. The bathroom is large enough that a sink won't get in the way. On our 2005 Escape the bathroom didn't have a sink because that's how it came in those days, our 2012 5.0 has one and we use it all the time. The faucet can even be installed after delivery as it's just a matter of unscrewing the old one and putting the new one on.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:46 PM   #16

When I saw this thread and clicked on the Amazon link NW Cat Owner provided. I was a little disappointed in seeing the faucet I wanted to use.

Given I'm looking to purchase 5.0TA and I have good understanding how RV plumbing/pex works. I could not understand why this faucet would not work attached to the wall without the sink in 5.0TA.

I forgot the 21 has different layout and now I understand the issue and pretty confident ETI can install this type faucet into 5.0TA of course I will confirm when I visit the factory next April.

NW Cat it is unfortunate to find out out they cannot install what you want and I feel your pain, but hopefully you will get something you can live with. I have to believe ETI will work with you, the best they can.

Quote:
The 5.0TA is different than the 21' Kent. In the TA, the bathroom sink is backed up to the "pantry." If ETI is willing to run the water pipe through the pantry for the wall faucet, it might be doable. It's not on the 21' because the sink is on a wall that faces into the trailer.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:25 PM   #17

Update on the faucet situation

Okay, here's what's going on. We just got off the phone with Reace, who called us a short while ago. He thought we were getting a 19 - even though we never discussed that with them as we never considered one that size, but somehow he got that idea in his head - confusing us with someone else I guess. Anyway ...

It turns out this type of faucet will work in any of their trailers *except* for the 21. For the reasons that others have already mentioned (and I greatly appreciate that information being posted on this thread).

I also learned that if you don't want the bathroom sink (hey, some of us don't, so no need to go into that discussion once again), don't fall in love with the 21. With this particular trailer, you will need to keep the sink. You can eliminate it in the other sizes.

(I'll post some months later as to how I've survived with the sink in there. )

Reace double checked while we were on the phone and the bathroom faucet is the style that Donna mentioned and that I saw in the demo trailer. So, that should alleviate some of the pain issue with using the twist knob style of faucet that I experience.

So, SFDavis50, if you want this style of faucet and you're not getting the sink in the bathroom, Reace said it'll work in the 5.0TA. They can hang onto the faucet until you need it. PM me and let me know. And you can save on shipping!
Old 11-07-2016, 08:41 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Thanks for the clarification Laura. The bathroom wall where the sink goes in the 21 is the wall next to the entry and outer wall. It would make sense you need a sink there, since the faucet can't be wall mounted due to the thinness of the wall there.

It also makes sense that the wall mounted faucet (and therefore the single lever diverter) can be used in all the other models, since the bathroom wall where it mounts is adjacent to another cabinet and not the interior or exterior wall.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:02 AM   #19

Quote:

So, SFDavis50, if you want this style of faucet and you're not getting the sink in the bathroom, Reace said it'll work in the 5.0TA. They can hang onto the faucet until you need it. PM me and let me know. And you can save on shipping!
I probably want that style of faucet but may go with the white model as I am also thinking of using the Oxygenics shower head and it is white plastic. Also, my trailer isn't due until July 2017 so I'm pretty sure there are others who may want it before me.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:34 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
After using the shower in a camper and realizing the lack of hot water as well as having to refill the water, I am a fan of cg showers. I took my Escape shower head off all 3 of my Escapes and put it away and never looked back as it will not be used unless there is an emergency. What I'm saying is, after taking possession of your new Escape it may likely not be an issue, try to focus on the whole positive acquisition and not just one small item.