Drill for stabilizer legs - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2018, 08:06 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I carry a 12V DeWalt driver/drill/light set. It has come in handy quite a few times. Just don't use it for my stabilizers.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:58 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I use an 18 v ryobi, which I bought in a set that included fancy flashlight, circular saw, and reciprocating saw with two batteries. Also recently got a nice fan that works plugged in or w/ the batteries. The stabilizer socket lives in the drill most of the time.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:36 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I love how they rate all these battery tools in volts. Volts doesn't determine how much power you have, its volts*amps == watts. and for battery life, its watts*hours...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:41 PM   #24

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by renglish6 View Post
Okay so I'm getting the power hitch and now we have the power awning. Save the old back. Now I want to bring down the stabilizer legs using a cordless drill. we haven't got the drill and are wondering if you have to have a certain torque or power so that the drill is capable of screwing down those legs. We are buying the drill as we don't have a cordless drill at this time so don't want to buy something that won't get the job done. Also don't want to buy something more expensive than needed. Any thoughts?

If you go cordless drill just make sure it is not impact type. Also Harbor Freight and their 20% Coupon would be my choice if I was going to buy one just for this purpose.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:13 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I love how they rate all these battery tools in volts. Volts doesn't determine how much power you have, its volts*amps == watts. and for battery life, its watts*hours...
Well, the voltage is listed for both the tools and the corresponding batteries (which tells you which tools work with which batteries of the same brand), but most batteries are also clearly rated in capacity... amp-hours, just like an RV battery. Multiply the two together and you have the energy storage.

One reason that they list voltage is that it suggests possible power to the consumer. Although that's not really true, it has some validity because most power tools have used the same size cells (18650 for the lithium batteries) and have connected them in series, so more cells means both more voltage and more available power. Even when they use a larger cell (the 2170 size is becoming common), the energy capacity (volts * amp-hours) gives a reasonable indication of possible power output.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:20 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
how about a more comfortable one, one that does not dig into your palm when using, perhaps with a spinning button end.
Yup, works like a charm.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0006_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:22 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Nice job, Ron. I only have one brace, my Dad's and I want to preserve it. Complete set of bits also.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:50 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Nice job, Ron. I only have one brace, my Dad's and I want to preserve it. Complete set of bits also.
Absolutely, that brace was my Dad's. Wouldn't have butchered it to get the end piece. Made mine from scrap wood and a scrap bearing. I like to keep end pressure on the crank so it doesn't jump off the lug. Putting end pressure on the old crank was uncomfortable.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0005_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Absolutely, that brace was my Dad's. Wouldn't have butchered it to get the end piece. Made mine from scrap wood and a scrap bearing. I like to keep end pressure on the crank so it doesn't jump off the lug. Putting end pressure on the old crank was uncomfortable.

Ron
Explain that to Glenn, he did not think that was an issue.....
Old 06-05-2018, 12:41 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't see the issue either. Never had the wrench slip off. I have no issue with others using something that works good for them though. All the power to everyone.
Quote:
Explain that to Glenn, he did not think that was an issue.....
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:03 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I find if I press too hard onto the shaft, its harder to turn.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:37 PM   #32

Trailer: New Escape 19 on order
Thanks for all this good info. I think I will stick with the crank and consider the drill only later after I have lived with the trailer a while. This forum is great!
renglish6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:30 PM   #33

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I only have one brace, my Dad's and I want to preserve it.
Although Ron built a nice crank with a bearing-equipped end specifically for this purpose, you can also use a woodworking brace without modifying it - you insert an adapter (to drive sockets) into the chuck just as you would insert a drill bit. An example is item D on Lee Valley's page of Hand Braces and Accessories; it works with braces having a two-jaw chuck to hold the square end of the adapter.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:45 AM   #34

Nice find Brian, a little pricey, but something to think about, thanks for the find.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:40 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 F250
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Robert,
Here's the long story about our current solution:

We started by using my 18V (Riobi) impact driver, but it makes way too much noise, especially if you're setting up after dark or leaving in the early morning. So then, we started using the 18V drill with an adapter in the chuck for 3/8" drive sockets. The stabilizer takes a 3/4" 6 or 12 point socket. This works fine, except:

occasionally, I've tightened the stabilizer so much that the drill doesn't have the initial power to start turning the shaft, so I grab the chuck and manually assist. My wife now goes camping with a friend of hers (without me), and found that she couldn't always do the same, so she had to dig the hand crank out of it's hiding place under the dinette.
Bottom line: we found that using the hand crank is very easy for either one of us, always. Whether we're hand cranking or using power, we end up kneeling. It's not a problem for my poor back. So, we don't use power anymore for the stabilizer cranking operation. I used a couple of hooks (actually they're one screw conduit clamps) mounted vertically on the back wall of the tongue storage box to hang the hand crank; it's very handy, but out of the way.
I use a drill. I just like it and it is a very handy tool to have.

Some notes: 1) I believe I read in some of the Escape materials that a drill was not recommended. That being said I use one. But, I make use of the torque settings to ensure that it is never over tightened up or down. (I just play with the settings each trip. )

2) The impact driver I does not seem to be a good choice. It is designed for things like driving in tap screws. It essentially taps and screws; the drill just provides a rotating force.
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:49 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Richie View Post
I believe I read in some of the Escape materials that a drill was not recommended. That being said I use one. But, I make use of the torque settings to ensure that it is never over tightened up or down. (I just play with the settings each trip. )
I think that's because a drill can cause issues if used improperly. I use a variable speed drill (non impact) and don't run them up or down at high speed. Works well.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #37
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by renglish6 View Post
Thanks for all this good info. I think I will stick with the crank and consider the drill only later after I have lived with the trailer a while. This forum is great!
I carry a small foam mat in case I need to change a tire. It's also quite handy to kneel on when using the hand crank.....

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I carry a small foam mat in case I need to change a tire. It's also quite handy to kneel on when using the hand crank.....
Hi: tractors1... I got one of those too. Comes in real handy when you have to get "Down and dirty"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:24 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Every time I hand crank mine I think about seeing someone at a rally using a drill but I don't really want more "stuff" to take.

If you're me, you once were just barely moving the trailer forward to get a chock freed and forgot to raise the stabilizers first and slightly bent the two front ones. They still work but to lower them requires a little whack on one of them with the hand crank to get it unstuck.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:47 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post

If you're me, you once were just barely moving the trailer forward to get a chock freed and forgot to raise the stabilizers first and slightly bent the two front ones. They still work but to lower them requires a little whack on one of them with the hand crank to get it unstuck.
I did something similar to one of my stabilizers. When I got home I took it off the trailer and then disassembled it found where it was bent and carefully straightened it. I then reassembled and put it back on the trailer, works like brand new now. It was actually very easy to do.