Dsi flt - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2019, 03:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 21C' Escape
Dsi flt

We recently had the DSI FLT light come on in the monitor panel. What does DSI FLT stand for and what does it mean when it comes on. I'm guessing it has to do with propane as when it was on none of the propane appliances worked. Both tanks were full when the light came on. I unhooked both tanks and then reconnected them and it seemed to cure the problem. Advice?
Cyclones forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
From an old Escape forum post: DSI means direct spark ignition. FLT means fault.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
The Suburban SW6D(E) direct spark ignition (DSI) System tries three times to light before it locks out (fault). It could be that you had air in the line. If you flip the water heater switch off, wait 5 seconds, then switch it back on it will reset and give you three more tries. It sounds like you resolved the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
22A79720-1D91-4E79-B10F-3DE3D25DF634.jpg  
Old 08-07-2019, 11:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 2023 21C' Escape
Thanks for the information. Hoping that air in the line was the problem.
Cyclones forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
As you may know, opening the valves on the tanks real slowly sometimes helps to keep an air lock from happening. If I haven’t run things for a while on gas, I like to open a burner on my stove and light it. This will bleed off trapped air and allow the furnace or water heater to fire up more easily and sometimes the refrigerator too. YMMV
As Donna says.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-07-2019, 12:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The advantage of lighting a stove burner first is that you can see the flame. it's right there, so you know the gas is flowing.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:01 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
As you may know, opening the valves on the tanks real slowly sometimes helps to keep an air lock from happening. If I haven’t run things for a while on gas, I like to open a burner on my stove and light it. This will bleed off trapped air and allow the furnace or water heater to fire up more easily and sometimes the refrigerator too. YMMV
As Donna says.
Iowa Dave
Good advice Dave. Whenever I have a question about something gas powered working, usually the frig, I immediately light the cook stove. I think it happens more when changing out propane tanks, even being careful with physically switching the regulator to the full tank. Changing both tanks simultaneously might mean, light the cook stove before trying anything.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
As you may know, opening the valves on the tanks real slowly sometimes helps to keep an air lock from happening.
The rate that the tank valves are opened won't affect air in the lines, but too quickly can trip the excess flow valve in a tank hose (pigtail), requiring the valve to be closed to reset.

Tank valves don't really need to be opened slowly; they just need to be opened a bit so propane will slowly flow and pressurize the lines, then they can be opened the rest of the way as quickly as desired.

Quote:
If I haven’t run things for a while on gas, I like to open a burner on my stove and light it. This will bleed off trapped air and allow the furnace or water heater to fire up more easily and sometimes the refrigerator too.
I use this stove burner technique as required after running out of propane to get the lines purged before expecting any other appliance to run properly.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote