Dual 160w roof solar + 90w portable - possible? / 320w :run fridge? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2016, 11:38 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
thanks everyone for the great thoughts.

i think i will do dual roof solar, at build. $850 CAD isn't bad, plus they need to put in wooden blocking and strengthening stuff at build. NO better time to do it.

Plus i know how we like to boondock.

Plus if / when a big earthquake hits Los Angeles, we'll be happy to have a really self sufficient 21' Escape as a quasi-life raft!

so other than the $, the 10 lbs of 2nd panel, about 10 lbs of blocking (as per ETI).... any downsides?

cheers

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
thanks everyone for the great thoughts.

i think i will do dual roof solar, at build. $850 CAD isn't bad, plus they need to put in wooden blocking and strengthening stuff at build. NO better time to do it.

Plus i know how we like to boondock.

Plus if / when a big earthquake hits Los Angeles, we'll be happy to have a really self sufficient 21' Escape as a quasi-life raft!

so other than the $, the 10 lbs of 2nd panel, about 10 lbs of blocking (as per ETI).... any downsides?

cheers

John
I believe that the $850 that ETI charges for the solar option is for a single 160W panel and controller, not for 2 panels. When I inquired about adding a 2nd panel to my existing solar setup on my 19', I was told it would be about $850 to add the second panel.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
I believe that the $850 that ETI charges for the solar option is for a single 160W panel and controller, not for 2 panels. When I inquired about adding a 2nd panel to my existing solar setup on my 19', I was told it would be about $850 to add the second panel.
Yes. Sorry for not being clear

In my mind I had already spent $850 CAD for the first panel- includes the controller.

Now I have decided to spent another $850 for a second panel (that $850 includes the re enforcement's to ceiling plus wiring it in, they will only do it at time of build)

I just had to justify the extra $850 to myself.... And ALSO my better half. She approved!

I am a lucky man.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:50 PM   #24

update:

Sarah at ETI suggested I send them a Zamp Solar Port..... ($10 on Amazon)
and for a fee they'll wire it in during build

and I just specify where I want the Zamp Solar Port.....

makes it very very easy to plug in my portable 90w solar panels, plus keeps the bugs out!

Plus we just decided to NOT get any shelves in the wardrobe, so we CAN stow the portable solar panel suitcase in the wardrobe, i think.

ETI (sarah) will send me the updated interior size of the slightly expanded wardrobe on the 2017 21'

Old 08-30-2016, 07:11 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
When ETI wires in the ZAMP Solar Port do you know if they wire it to the installed controller or directly to the battery?
OldstersOutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:30 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Portable solar

Power from a panel should almost always be put through the charge controller. You would not want 17 volts going to the battery for very long. The charge controller regulates the voltage and gives the battery what it needs. The exception is power from a very small panel like 5 watts.
Starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:45 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldstersOutside View Post
When ETI wires in the ZAMP Solar Port do you know if they wire it to the installed controller or directly to the battery?
To the controller
Old 08-30-2016, 12:37 PM   #28

Good to hear, thank you!!
OldstersOutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:26 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
update:

makes it very very easy to plug in my portable 90w solar panels, plus keeps the bugs out!

Plus we just decided to NOT get any shelves in the wardrobe, so we CAN stow the portable solar panel suitcase in the wardrobe, i think.

ETI (sarah) will send me the updated interior size of the slightly expanded wardrobe on the 2017 21'

The same wall mounted SAE connector is available from SolarSeller (Item D) for $5.00. They also have a variety of SAE connectors if you want to use them to make extensions...

I have used it with a 160 watt portable panel for 2 years with no problems...
Old 08-30-2016, 05:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The same wall mounted SAE connector is available from SolarSeller (Item D) for $5.00. They also have a variety of SAE connectors if you want to use them to make extensions...

Cool... thanks for the link. Good to know.... especially about the variety of SAE connectors they sell.

I bet the part I paid $10 for on Amazon (shipping included for me, as i have Prime) is *identical* to the $5 one there (plus shipping)

I bet they are coming out of the same factory.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:19 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbrightsteve View Post
Power from a panel should almost always be put through the charge controller. You would not want 17 volts going to the battery for very long. The charge controller regulates the voltage and gives the battery what it needs. The exception is power from a very small panel like 5 watts.
I had forgotten this.... a pal asked me today the same question.... thanks for posting this info here. Makes sense.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:54 AM   #32

Thanks, Losangeles--just what I needed!!

Gary
garysd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 02:25 PM   #33

Trailer: 5.0 TA hatched April 2017
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles
update:

Question are these SAE connectors/zamp solar ports are they the same. So if I have one installed they will take most all portable solar panels?
Terry H is offline   Reply With Quote