Dual Solar Panels on a 21 - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2016, 05:44 PM   #81

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
3M has all sorts of HD Velcro, although that's not it's real name, with a wide assortment of adhesives. Some are for high temps, some not. I think it was acrylic vs rubber adhesive, but there was more to it. We used the HD product quite a bit at work, finding a source was the only issue, they are not hardware store items. The 3M site has/had good info on the subject.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:52 PM   #82

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
3M has all sorts of HD Velcro, although that's not it's real name, with a wide assortment of adhesives. Some are for high temps, some not. I think it was acrylic vs rubber adhesive, but there was more to it. We used the HD product quite a bit at work, finding a source was the only issue, they are not hardware store items. The 3M site has/had good info on the subject.
Good tip, Bob.
3M uses the generic term "hook and loop":
3M™ Hook and Loop

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:54 PM   #83

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 classic "Escapade", Tow: Nissan Xterra off-road 6spd manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Figure out how to replace awning fabric with flexible solar material and you could just roll out as much as you thing you need. Probably wouldn't even need to tilt it!
You mean like this rolable solar material
R60 60 Watt Rollable Solar Panel - PowerFilm Solar

Very expensive now but costs will come down around the time my awning needs replacement.

John
John David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:58 PM   #84

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 classic "Escapade", Tow: Nissan Xterra off-road 6spd manual
Whoops sorry, didn't see tractors1 second post with the rollable panel link.
John David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:19 AM   #85

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Good tip, Bob.
3M uses the generic term "hook and loop":
3M™ Hook and Loop

Look at the Dual Lock instead.

This is the PDF on the product Selector, on my laptop the link downloads the pdf, may or may not work on yours. There's more info on their site but you have to poke around to find it.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/7...electGuide.pdf
Old 08-13-2016, 12:22 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Look at the Dual Lock instead.

This is the PDF on the product Selector, on my laptop the link downloads the pdf, may or may not work on yours. There's more info on their site but you have to poke around to find it.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/7...electGuide.pdf
Thanks - I wouldn't have guessed this product from the "Dual Lock" name. The product selection PDF downloaded fine for me.

Link to product section of 3M website: 3M™ Dual Lock™ Reclosable Fasteners

The original Velcro® is a hook-and-loop system, but this is not (in name or design). Here's their description:
Quote:
Mushroom-shaped stems interlock to provide five times the closure strength of hook and loop closures yet easily peel apart
It's like a whole bunch of snaps (again, like used on clothing flaps) but tiny and you don't need to line them up accurately - they just snap into whatever area of the same stuff they hit. An advantage over hook-and-loop is that it doesn't snag threads of fabric the way the hook side of hook-and-loop does.

3M sells this in their Command fastener line as "poster strips", so I was familiar with it, but didn't know the name or that it came in rolls. I agree those would work much better for mounting. While they are still supposed to be peeled apart, they work much better between rigid objects than hook-and-loop. The mirror on the bathroom door of my current RV is held up by these strips.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:52 PM   #87

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Thanks - I wouldn't have guessed this product from the "Dual Lock" name. The product selection PDF downloaded fine for me.

Link to product section of 3M website: 3M™ Dual Lock™ Reclosable Fasteners

The original Velcro® is a hook-and-loop system, but this is not (in name or design). Here's their description:

It's like a whole bunch of snaps (again, like used on clothing flaps) but tiny and you don't need to line them up accurately - they just snap into whatever area of the same stuff they hit. An advantage over hook-and-loop is that it doesn't snag threads of fabric the way the hook side of hook-and-loop does.

3M sells this in their Command fastener line as "poster strips", so I was familiar with it, but didn't know the name or that it came in rolls. I agree those would work much better for mounting. While they are still supposed to be peeled apart, they work much better between rigid objects than hook-and-loop. The mirror on the bathroom door of my current RV is held up by these strips.
used a similar type in mfg to attach large metal to metal items that were designed to separate for access without tools, however depending on the size of the fasteners you would almost need a small crowbar to get enough leverage to make them separate...usually the adhesive backing would give first .
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:14 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
used a similar type in mfg to attach large metal to metal items that were designed to separate for access without tools, however depending on the size of the fasteners you would almost need a small crowbar to get enough leverage to make them separate...usually the adhesive backing would give first .
The moderate flexibility of "bendable" solar panels would certainly make removing them more practical.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #89

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
The moderate flexibility of "bendable" solar panels would certainly make removing them more practical.
yes.... "peeling" a small area at a time should release easier
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:47 PM   #90

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Sun is shinning on my panel. Top surface temperature is 46 C; underside is 51 C. I was a little surprised by that but I took multiple readings. So fair to say that the panels slightly increase the surface temperature of the fiberglass.

On the other hand I'm not sure there is any harmful effect to the f.g. I've done things like pour molten lead onto fiberglass without any apparent harm.

Ron
I just took some temp readings on my solar panels. The surface is 112F and directly under the panel in the shade is 95F and the roof in direct sunlight is also 95F. Interesting. The edges of the panel are 3 or so inches from the roof and the center is less than one inch, both were the same temp.

I got tilting solar panels to help when I'm in Montana in October. I haven't experimented just how much because they are alway's tilted when I'm there.
. There are great calculators out there to determine how much tilt is optimum.
The surprise benefit is when tilted I can clean and wax easily.

craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dual panels, solar