Dumb question for smart people... - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2017, 01:23 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Dumb question for smart people...

So, since I brought Mutt Hit home from Chilli a week ago, it's been plugged in to my mom's house and (with a little help from you fine folks), everything has been working fine.

Tonight I unplugged it and moved it to wash it (not fun at +2 but I couldn't stand the mud on it anymore). While washing it, I accidentally flipped on an exterior light - no light. I kind of thought I should've had light off battery (also have solar)...

Anyway, I parked it and unhooked from the tv and plugged it in to my exterior outlet. I got an E1 error reading, which is reversed polarity. I plugged a small space heater into the same cord and it worked fine. I have had some issues with this GFCI plug tripping before, but it's what I use to plug my car into all winter and it's been fine.

Ok, so I thought I'd unplug and use battery power. Nothing. No lights. No display at all on solar panel. Nothing g on the monitoring panel. Checked the battery ****-off switch and it's on.

So what am I doing wrong or forgetting to get battery power? And does the E1 error mean I can't plug in to the outlet on my house? Very complicated!!!

Thanks for any help!

Brenda

blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 1804 Schooner
If you got a reverse polarity code, then it is highly likely the outlet is wired incorrectly. Incorrect polarity probably wouldn't affect the operation of a resistance heater. As far as not working on 12v, and the battery switch is on, I would check all fuses, starting with the one on the positive wire attached to the battery.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:50 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
The light on the curb side is controlled by an interior switch, but the switch on the light has to be on whereas the light on the street side is not remotely switched and is turned on/off at the light switch only.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:31 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
For under $20 you can buy these two tools that would let you very quickly determine what's going on.

The smaller tester on the right would instantly tell you what the situation was with your house mounted GFCI. If it is wired as reverse polarity instead of two amber lights there'd be one amber light and the red light. Good to have around, trailer or no trailer.

A dirt cheap meter like this is more than adequate for trouble shooting issues. A couple of taps near the panel and you'd very quickly know where the power was or wasn't. I think every trailer should have one handy.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0016_resize.JPG (153.4 KB, 30 views)
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:10 PM   #5

Trailer: TBD
One of the issues with a cheap meter is that many do not have a protected ohms function . If you touch the leads to a live circuit when on the ohms scale in some cases you can damage the meter , or burn out a multiplier or ruin the meter's selector switch.
You don't need a $500 Fluke but I would shy away from the one HF gives away free as a door prize.

The meter Ron pictured would be a good choice .
Has all the necessary functions at a reasonable price.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The light on the curb side is controlled by an interior switch, but the switch on the light has to be on whereas the light on the street side is not remotely switched and is turned on/off at the light switch only.
Qualifying comment - depends on if you asked ETI for any special wiring or switching. We had ETI install an outside light on the front and back, too, and this "gang of three" lights (front, driver side, and back) also was wired with a master switch inside by the entry door. So for us, that master switch for the "gang of three" lights must be on in order for any of those three lights to work individually - much like the entry door light explained above. So, do you recall asking for any special wiring/switching like that? Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:13 PM   #7

No, Dale, nothing different at all.

Regarding the AC, I'm going to move the trailer and try plugging in to a different outlet. I did some reading on reversed polarity, and I wouldn't be surprised if that outlet is messed up. I replaced it not long ago because it kept tripping, but I would've wired it the same as it was before.

More concerned about no DC. I'll go out today and check fuses. If they're all ok, would my next step be to crawl under the bed and check the inverter to see if the GFCI tripped under there? Why would that happen? Anything to do with the bad outlet?
Old 04-23-2017, 03:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
More concerned about no DC. I'll go out today and check fuses. If they're all ok, would my next step be to crawl under the bed and check the inverter to see if the GFCI tripped under there? Why would that happen? Anything to do with the bad outlet?
This is a situation where having a small simple meter or even a 12 volt test light would pinpoint the problem very quickly.

Touch it the battery, 12 something volts, check, terminals of panel, 12 volts, check and so on. So easy to pinpoint the problem.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:08 PM   #9

I think my brother has one. If the snow and 50 kph winds let up, I'll go get it.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:19 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Are they now labeling the master switch as to whether it is off or on? They were not always done the same, way back. "On" might be either direction.

What I can't get is also nothing on the solar monitor.

float5 is offline   Reply With Quote