Dumb question-propane furnace sail switch - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2019, 02:19 PM   #21

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
But the Escape comes with the propane heater included, no additional cost, in fact they may charge extra to eliminate it? It is not an option where it costs extra. just does not make sense.
Everyone has different wants and needs, so it does if you have a electric heater, only camp at electric sites or in warm weather, and want the extra storage.

We had our Casita for 5 years, pulled easily 25,000 miles, loved the shoulder seasons, and didn't regret the lack of heater or the AC. We were working and had an electric oil heater for electric sites when cold.

Now that we're retired we travel with the wonderful Escape provided heater that let's you work outside at 3 am in 15 degree weather cleaning the sail switch. We also have our Honeywell 1500 watt heater, a Mr Buddy, and now a Martin catalytic heater, just in case that sail switch craps out again. The furnace and backups are our current wants and needs. YMMV.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-22-2019, 02:21 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
But the Escape comes with the propane heater included, no additional cost, in fact they may charge extra to eliminate it? It is not an option where it costs extra. just does not make sense.
While I wouldn't pass up on having a propane furnace, and wouldn't want to pay for one and not get anything, I do see why some people would choose to delete the furnace even with no price credit. They may want to
  • reduce trailer weight
  • increase available storage space and/or free that space for an electric heater
  • eliminate a shell opening for the vent/door
  • eliminate a floor penetration for the propane line
  • reduce the number of propane lines in the interior
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:24 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If they are that close to weight and space limits, they need another trailer. One drawer added space? No resale value for a unit that has to be hooked up
Old 12-22-2019, 02:50 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
If they are that close to weight and space limits, they need another trailer. One drawer added space? No resale value for a unit that has to be hooked up
Resale value would be a problem in cold areas, but given that more than one brand of moulded fiberglass travel trailer has had at least some sales success without even offering the option of anything propane, there would apparently be a market in other other areas.

I didn't suggest that anyone was fixing an over-limit situation by omitting the furnace. Even if nowhere near trailer or tow vehicle limits, less mass is better. Various members here have reported clearing out excessive stuff carried in their trailers - one less cast-iron dutch oven or one omitted furnace, it's all mass.

Again, I wouldn't omit the furnace. I just understand that other people have different situations and priorities, and that it might make sense for them.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:51 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
There is camping, and there is parking.
Old 12-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
The Atwood furnace employed by Escape is relatively small with a weight of only 25 lbs
In order to increase the time frame that one can utilize their investment in an Escape trailer a furnace and A/C seems like a prudent investment
We owned a Scamp with the electric strip heater but no furnace . When we sold our Scamp the price reflected the lack of a furnace .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:35 PM   #27

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I do see why some people would choose to delete the furnace even with no price credit. They may want to
  • reduce trailer weight
  • increase available storage space and/or free that space for an electric heater
  • eliminate a shell opening for the vent/door
  • eliminate a floor penetration for the propane line
  • reduce the number of propane lines in the interior
Or maybe to install a different type/brand furnace in another location. Many out there tired of Dometic. I’m waiting for someone to utilize a Truma Combi, Truma Varioheat, or a Propex. Our original Atwood 8012 furnace works well so I haven’t been pushed into serious consideration yet.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:23 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
A couple of threads on installing a Propex furnace in fiberglass trailers are at Fiberglass RV
Propex HS2800 Heater Install - Trillium
Lil Snoozy Propex Heater Install
Propex heater in a Scamp 16
Dave & Paula's Lil Snoozy modifications

I have seen a cut away model of the Truma Combi at the Big Tent show in Quartzsite last year. A very complex system (but great in that it does both heat & hot water) that I'd be wary of until there is a reasonable sized repair network here in the US. It does look impressive...
Old 12-23-2019, 02:33 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
A couple of threads on installing a Propex furnace in fiberglass trailers are at Fiberglass RV
Propex HS2800 Heater Install - Trillium
Lil Snoozy Propex Heater Install
Propex heater in a Scamp 16
Dave & Paula's Lil Snoozy modifications

I have seen a cut away model of the Truma Combi at the Big Tent show in Quartzsite last year. A very complex system (but great in that it does both heat & hot water) that I'd be wary of until there is a reasonable sized repair network here in the US. It does look impressive...
Jon: Thanks for the links. The Truma Combi is complex but seems to be gaining some traction in North America. The Truma Varioheat provides space heating only and is much simpler in design. I like that it has 3 stages...4,700, 8,900 and 11,500 BTU/h. I would be seriously considering this if a replacement for our current furnace was ever needed.
https://www.truma.net/heating-system...MaAiRoEALw_wcB
Old 12-23-2019, 02:46 PM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Got an approximate price for Truma Varioheat with installation?
Old 12-24-2019, 12:58 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Got an approximate price for Truma Varioheat with installation?

No idea. If I did it I would try to procure one and install it myself.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:37 AM   #32

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
That's one way to solve the sail switch issue.
You are hilarious.
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:52 AM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Egg Camper went to all-electric years back, but they also shut down a few years after shifting to that approach.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:25 PM   #34

vario heat

Looked on the web and found pricing from around $2,000.00 to as much as $2,179.00 . Wow. Makes our little $49.99 cube heater seem wonderful. Lee and Norma
footloose senns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:43 PM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Egg Camper went to all-electric years back, but they also shut down a few years after shifting to that approach.
No Egg Camper was always all electric. They shut down due to the age and health of the manufacturing owner. He was pretty much a one-man-band. Sounds like his family is 'attempting' to resurrect the business.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:21 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Early Egg Campers originally had a propane option as we knew several of the owners that had it from the factory. There is also a 2006 discussed on FGRV if I recall that had come with gas from the factory.
Here is an archived sale unit w/pics from the owner that shows equipped with a propane stove:
http://www.viewrvs.com/travel-traile...ggcamper_a.php

At some point early on, he quit offering the propane and would only do all electric. Since not many were built probably most of them running around are going to be from the all electric years.
Some owners also did mod propane on to their Egg Campers after they had them for a bit.
It will be interesting to see if they resurrect it as it's been rumored for awhile now and hasn't advanced. It was a nice mold and had some nice features, so would like to see it produced again.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:47 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
No Egg Camper was always all electric. They shut down due to the age and health of the manufacturing owner. He was pretty much a one-man-band. Sounds like his family is 'attempting' to resurrect the business.
If they do resurrect it I hope they add a propane system. While there may be a few people that are ok with all-electric it limits the flexibility of use. There are many posts of guys adding propane to their Egg Camper.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:06 PM   #38

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
There is camping, and there is parking.

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:13 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 casita
needs

while it is true everyone has different needs therefore i vote for getting every upgrade or gadget as in the long haul when or if you sell it a furnace could be a make or brake so therefore if you never use it get it anyway as its cheap
tvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:14 PM   #40

Trailer: looking to buy
WOW!!!! Lots of reaction for eliminating the furnace. We chose not to install one because we never used the ones that we had in our previous trailers. We live in New Mexico and travel in moderate weather most of the time, if not we find a campsite with electricity. Escape did give us a price reduction for eliminating the furnace, now we have more storage! Thank you Escape for allowing us to build the trailer that fits our needs. Not worried about resale because we are not going to sell any time soon.
dana mcdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote