EasyStart Installation - Part 1 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2019, 01:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
EasyStart Installation - Part 1

We got the 11000 BTU AC option. Our unit is the Dometic model 640310C451C0.

Our plan prior to receiving the 19' was to install the EasyStart 364 (3-ton) Soft Starter so we can power the unit with one Honda EU2000i generator. Overall we can say the EastStart installation was straight forward following the EasyStart provided instructions. However, Gus has many years of electrical and electronics experience.

Before starting, we disconnected the AC power cord and disconnected the negative leads to the trailer batteries. Made sure the solar panel voltages did not go beyond the solar charger. Turned off all AC circuit breakers, solar charger, inverter, and the DC storage (master) switch, so ALL the trailer electrical branch circuits were dead. Confirmed all this using a digital volt meter.

Stood on our Telesteps 12ES 12 ft telescoping A-frame ladder, which we carry with us under the rear bed. This diagram is what we needed to find upon taking off the AC plastic cover - working on the curb (passenger) side. Carefully compare this diagram with the EasyStart instructions.

Opening the metal housing this is what you see - with the silver running capacitor and the black starting capacitor.

Following the Easy Start instructions, removed the starting capacitor, which is where the Easy Start unit will reside.

Next, secured the running capacitor, using the same strap but with a new screw position.

Per instructions, installed the first two Easy Start wires (brown and black). For all mobile applications, we use Ideal 2006S crimp connectors - not twist on wire nuts - crimping with the matching Ideal C24 crimp tool.

Next were the matching Ideal 2007 splice cap insulator covers.

Continued in Part 2.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:04 PM   #2

Easy Start installation - Part 2

Continuing

Installed crimp on blade connectors (yellow) on the other two Easy Start wires (orange, white), which connect to the running capacitor.

The Easy Start box slips in nicely in the open space on the left. Secured it with two #10-1/2" stainless screws. Made sure the screws did not hit or interfere with anything behind the compartment.

Carefully closed up the unit, so that it looked just like we found it when starting. Be sure all wires are inside.

Replaced the AC unit cover. After reconnecting the trailer battery, AC cord, and turning on all the AC breakers and DC circuits, we carefully followed the Easy Start instructions of repeated AC unit cycling so the Easy Start can learn our unit's starting current profile. Believe it was 6 times with at least 5 minutes between. DO NOT immediately start using the generator.

The AC seems to be working well. Job took about 2 hours, as this is our first time installing an EasyStart.

This is just an example of what we found, and you may find something different. If you do not have 100% confidence in your abilities to do this, get a qualified RV electrician to perform the installation for you.

Above all - before removing the AC cover - disconnect all AC and DC power to your trailer. PLAN SAFE, WORK SAFE, STAY SAFE.

73/gus
Old 08-12-2019, 01:51 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Two questions, I was not aware there was a 9200BTU unit available since 2012 when ETI stopped installing the Coleman Cub which was 9200 and operated off a 2000 watt genie easily. The second is if it is a 9200 did you try to start without the Easystart?
Old 08-12-2019, 02:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008
Two questions, I was not aware there was a 9200BTU unit available since 2012 when ETI stopped installing the Coleman Cub which was 9200 and operated off a 2000 watt genie easily.
Recommend looking up the specific Dometic model number for details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008
The second is if it is a 9200 did you try to start without the Easystart?
Can confirm our EU2000i tripped off line when compressor started prior to installing the EasyStart.

73/gus
Old 08-12-2019, 02:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
It was interesting to see your photos. I have a 2015 Escape 19 and installed an EasyStart this past week, and my unit looks a lot different from yours inside. I had the capacitor you removed, too, but mine was installed under the other larger capacitor and therefore very difficult to remove, so I left it there after I removed all of the wiring. The instructions say to cut the blue wire at an easy place and splice in the black wire. My blue wire was so short that there was no easy place, so I had to do two splices with a jumper wire to make it work. I also mounted the EasyStart on the other side of the unit where suggested in the installation instructions.

All of this is to say that it appears there are many small changes in the air conditioners over the years so that one way doesn't work for all. I hope the changes were improvements, but I suspect they were just changes.

In any case, it worked when I powered up and I hear a noticeable softening of the "clunk" when the compressor kicks in. I am expecting to be able to use my Honda 2000i generator wherever I need to and hopefully on eco mode to run the A/C as needed when not on the grid.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
Recommend looking up the specific Dometic model number for details.

Can confirm our EU2000i tripped off line when compressor started prior to installing the EasyStart.

73/gus
So are you saying this was an option or standard equipment on the units? The standard is 11,000 BTU??
Old 08-12-2019, 02:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So are you saying this was an option or standard equipment on the units? The standard is 11,000 BTU??
Corrected post to 11,000 BTU. From build sheet:
Air Conditioner with Digital Thermostat (11,000 BTU) Dometic
$ 1,225.00

Thanks for noting error.

73/gus
Old 08-12-2019, 04:42 PM   #8

Now this makes sense, thanks for changing and we are now on the same page....
Old 08-12-2019, 06:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
Stood on our Telesteps 12ES 12 ft telescoping A-frame ladder, which we carry with us under the rear bed.73/gus
Welcome to the Easy Start family you will not regret this upgrade!

You mentioned you used a telescoping ladder. Maybe for benefit of others you can elaborate how you set up the ladder, what you did to protect the trailer and difficulty if any accessing the AC unit from the ladder.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
I did this install few days ago. Not sure if it makes any difference but the instructions say to install the box with the wire harness pointing down.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
I did this install few days ago. Not sure if it makes any difference but the instructions say to install the box with the wire harness pointing down.
Agree. From EasyStart manual: "Identify an appropriate location for EasyStart that allows mounting with the EasyStart wire exit pointing down."

Tried this, but the box would not fit in this compartment. The sloping face of the compartment just allowed the box to fit as shown. Putting the wires down pressed the wiring harness hard against the bottom with no turn radius. Before closing the cover, I sealed up the wire exit and the two wire crimp covers with electrical tape (not shown).

This is my decision, and recommend following the instructions. Will see if it makes a difference in the unit's operation and life time.

73/gus
Old 08-12-2019, 11:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
You mentioned you used a telescoping ladder. Maybe for benefit of others you can elaborate how you set up the ladder, what you did to protect the trailer and difficulty if any accessing the AC unit from the ladder.
This ladder is an "A" frame, like a shop step ladder. Did not lean the ladder against the trailer. Was able to reach everything while standing on the ladder with the ladder set up facing toward the trailer's rear, since I am right handed.

Placed a beach towel on top of the trailer and over the awning. Turned at waist to perform the work.

73/gus
Old 08-13-2019, 07:07 AM   #13

Trailer: 2018 21
Mounted the cap pointing up on my installation also.
I sealed the box joints with aluminum tape to keep the moisture out.
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:19 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Photos?

I cannot view the installation photos in Gus's original post. Is this normal for older threads on the Forum?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 09:32 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I cannot view the installation photos in Gus's original post. Is this normal for older threads on the Forum?
It doesn't have anything to do with the age of the post, but the source of the photo. If the OP posted photos that are hosted online for example, or that are linked to a specific hosting url, then they would not be available if that source is changed or removed.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:05 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Okay. Gus sent me the photos via email, so all is good. Thanks again Gus.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Okay. Gus sent me the photos via email, so all is good. Thanks again Gus.
Any chance you can post them in a way I and others can see them?

Mike
Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
It doesn't have anything to do with the age of the post, but the source of the photo. If the OP posted photos that are hosted online for example, or that are linked to a specific hosting url, then they would not be available if that source is changed or removed.
You are correct. The personal image storage limit is why they are no longer there. I sent all the images directly to those requesting them.

73/gus