Electrical adapters - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2017, 04:39 PM   #71

Trailer: Looking
Mmmm don't need a fancy fluke meter so should I throw mine away n go buy a cheap KMart blue lite special ����������

Jk jk ����������

Rockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:54 PM   #72

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
Mmmm don't need a fancy fluke meter so should I throw mine away n go buy a cheap KMart blue lite special ����������

Jk jk ����������
Or look for the Harbor Freight ads. With any purchase at regular price, they give away stuff like cheapee VOM's.

I've got one of theirs in the trailer tool box that's good to within about a tenth of a volt, as compared to my $$$ Fluke meter. Certainly good enough for diagnosis of problems during camping!

dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:41 AM   #73

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
I know old thread, but found it with search, and helped me out. My issue is related to having removable cord now (2018 Escape 21). Previous trailer (2004 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe) had attached power cord. Removable vs attached both have pluses and minuses, but overall I like the removable power cord better.

However, I'm starting to get nervous about the removable power cord disappearing in the future. I already have 25' extension, and was looking for an adapter to somehow make the 25' extension work as a spare removable power cord.

Looked and looked, finally found adapter (LeisureCords Trailer dogbone power cord plug adapter 30 amp male to 30 amp female locking connector with LED power Indicator approx $20), or buy another 25' removable power cord (Camco Heavy Duty PowerGrip 25' Cord with 30 AMP Male Standard/30 AMP Female Locking Adapter- Threaded Locking Ring Ensures a Weatherproof Connection (55501) approx $55). I decided to go cheap and get the adapter.

One thing I learned in my quest and reading this thread was the trailer side connection is twist lock. It was never explained to me, so I didn't know. I thought it was push on and locked with screw on coupler/ nut. Actually, one of the male prongs (one with curve) is slightly loose. That was concerning me a little, then I really got concerned when I notice whole plug would rotate, so I thought the whole thing was falling apart. Now I know is supposed to twist and lock in place, good to know lols.

Tonight I figured out maybe all is well. :-)
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:00 AM   #74
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
I know old thread, but found it with search, and helped me out. My issue is related to having removable cord now (2018 Escape 21). Previous trailer (2004 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe) had attached power cord. Removable vs attached both have pluses and minuses, but overall I like the removable power cord better.

However, I'm starting to get nervous about the removable power cord disappearing in the future. I already have 25' extension, and was looking for an adapter to somehow make the 25' extension work as a spare removable power cord.

Looked and looked, finally found adapter (LeisureCords Trailer dogbone power cord plug adapter 30 amp male to 30 amp female locking connector with LED power Indicator approx $20), or buy another 25' removable power cord (Camco Heavy Duty PowerGrip 25' Cord with 30 AMP Male Standard/30 AMP Female Locking Adapter- Threaded Locking Ring Ensures a Weatherproof Connection (55501) approx $55). I decided to go cheap and get the adapter.

One thing I learned in my quest and reading this thread was the trailer side connection is twist lock. It was never explained to me, so I didn't know. I thought it was push on and locked with screw on coupler/ nut. Actually, one of the male prongs (one with curve) is slightly loose. That was concerning me a little, then I really got concerned when I notice whole plug would rotate, so I thought the whole thing was falling apart. Now I know is supposed to twist and lock in place, good to know lols.

Tonight I figured out maybe all is well. :-)
I went through the same with my last E19 and decided on not having a removable 30 amp set up and decided on a removable 15 amp cord which will be used most of the time unless a/c is needed. then the 30 amp cord will be utilized. Pictures to follow later.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:23 AM   #75

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 ft
These work pretty well, when you don't need the 30A power, or want to keep your heavy cord out of the UV exposure
https://www.amazon.com/Parkworld-691...eywords=l5+30r
Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:57 PM   #76

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
One thing I learned in my quest and reading this thread was the trailer side connection is twist lock. It was never explained to me, so I didn't know. I thought it was push on and locked with screw on coupler/ nut.
That's a really awkward feature of both 30-amp (120 V) and 50-amp (240 V) connections used for detachable power cords on RVs. They use industry standard twist-lock connectors, but those connectors are not weatherproof at all, so in RV use an additional cover is added. The cover can be threaded or bayonet-locked, but in any case the way the system works is to twist-lock the actual connecter then connect the cover; the result is lots of people pushing the connector in but not locking it, and expecting the cover to keep it all together. Overall, it's a terrible design, but it's the RV world's standard.

Some people have installed their own connector set, using the superior (but expensive) SmartPlug design... but the old style still works, once you realize how it works.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:38 PM   #77

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
the NEMA L5-30 twistlock plug isn't very secure, the outer locking ring holds it much more securely.

here's one with the locking ring...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077VVZHK6..._t2_B076BHP37W
2006 Yellow Lab (Maggie... RIP Feb 2019 )
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:53 PM   #78

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
the NEMA L5-30 twistlock plug isn't very secure, the outer locking ring holds it much more securely.
They're secure enough for industrial and commercial applications, and for boats in marinas (which is where the term "shore power" comes from)... but apparently not secure enough for recreational users.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:07 PM   #79

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
as I understand it, these ring-locked outlets are a marine thing.

2006 Yellow Lab (Maggie... RIP Feb 2019 )
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote