Escape 5.0TA 3 way fridge amp requirement - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2017, 09:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Escape 5.0TA 3 way fridge amp requirement

Question for the forum. For the new 5.0TA's, with the 3 way, 6 ft^3 fridge, what is the amperage requirement when operating at 12 volts? We're on our way up to pick ours up and the owners manual for our 2018 Chevrolet Colorado, with the HD trailer package, discusses a charge line for the 7 way connection that (para) "assists battery charging". And it is only active with the lights or the tow haul mode turned on. I'm guessing that the fridge requires ~25 amps, which is much more than the 5-6 amps required for max battery charging. So, if my charge line is lacking, I need to let Trademasters know the day before our 5.0TA pickup, when we're getting our Anderson hitch and pickup bed plug installed.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:52 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I'd guess more like 14 amps, which is what the old RMD8555 is. Someone with the new model will need to look.

You know you have the same question posted with 2 different subject lines?
Old 11-26-2017, 07:24 AM   #3

Thx Padlin. I was extrapolating from the 15 amp requirement on my 4 ft^3 fridge in my old 17' Casita, but modern fridges may use less.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I just checked the 6 cu ft fridge in my 21 using the Bogart battery monitor, and it drew 14.5 amps on DC.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:03 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you are looking to push 15A through that connection you'll need 8 awg for a 80-100' run (round trip), that's with a 10% voltage drop.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
If you are looking to push 15A through that connection you'll need 8 awg for a 80-100' run (round trip), that's with a 10% voltage drop.
Thx again, padlin. I'll bet I'm covered in the Escape itself. I just need to make sure that I'm my Colorado charge line fuse/breaker, and my Colorado charge lineis up to the job. Trailmasters claims "many" such hookups on vehicles essentially identical to mine (some have posted here), so I will quiz them tomorrow.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I just checked the 6 cu ft fridge in my 21 using the Bogart battery monitor, and it drew 14.5 amps on DC.
Might want to check your amp meter. We got the first peek at our 5.0TA yesterday. Our Dometic 6 ft^3 uses 23 amps on 12 volt operation, and I BELIEVE they use 30 amp breaker. Trademasters says that they have had no negative feedback on at least 2 almost identical installations (Anderson hitches and in bed 7 way plug installs on second gen Colorado's, to pull 5.0TA's), but they are going to check my charge line/fusing anyhow. They should be done in 15 minutes, and I'll gig them on check out....
Old 11-30-2017, 10:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I'd guess more like 14 amps, which is what the old RMD8555 is. Someone with the new model will need to look.

You know you have the same question posted with 2 different subject lines?
"You know you have the same question posted with 2 different subject lines?"

Yes, I do. Is that a breach of forum decorum? I asked in the towing subject area because the question included towing charge lines and the like. If admin admonishes me, I promise to never do it again....