Experiments with solar panels - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #61

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I think Jon has used both the roof mount and a portable together, don't know of anyone else. I was looking into it and figured I'd add a 2nd set of leads off the INPUT lug on the controller. and NOT use the controller that's mounted on the back of the portable so I'd need enough room for both. Changed my mind and if needed all add a 100W to the roof.

Samlex Manual http://www.samlexamerica.com/documen...814%20Lrez.pdf
My solar system has changed quite a bit. I added a 100W panel to the roof, so I now have a total of 195 watts built into the trailer. I hope I won't need the portable panel, but I did add a connection that is wired to the input of the GoPower controller so I can bypass the portable panel controller. I can also use the portable panel built in controller & feed its output through the trailer 7 pin connector.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:21 PM   #62

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
I think Jon has used both the roof mount and a portable together, don't know of anyone else. I was looking into it and figured I'd add a 2nd set of leads off the INPUT lug on the controller. and NOT use the controller that's mounted on the back of the portable so I'd need enough room for both. Changed my mind and if needed all add a 100W to the roof.
I plan to have two panels in use by fall - the roof mount plus a portable. I had Escape add a "porthole" near the current battery for that eventuality so I can bring in the wires with a minimum of fuss.

It is important that both panels have roughly the same output voltage and have a blocking diode (very common). The roof mount is in the 17-19 volt range. Many of the bigger-newer panels (200 watts and up) are in the 30-37 volt range and will work but will essentially negate the roof panel (it just won't contribute its output.)

Finding a 150/160 watt panel is becoming a bit of a problem. Both Amazon and Home Depot are out of stock. E-bay seems to be one source at the moment.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:52 PM   #63

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
I plan to have two panels in use by fall - the roof mount plus a portable. I had Escape add a "porthole" near the current battery for that eventuality so I can bring in the wires with a minimum of fuss.

It is important that both panels have roughly the same output voltage and have a blocking diode (very common). The roof mount is in the 17-19 volt range. Many of the bigger-newer panels (200 watts and up) are in the 30-37 volt range and will work but will essentially negate the roof panel (it just won't contribute its output.)

Finding a 150/160 watt panel is becoming a bit of a problem. Both Amazon and Home Depot are out of stock. E-bay seems to be one source at the moment.

--
Alan
Hi Alan do you have the Escape installed Samlpex or the Go Power ?I was thinking to hook portable up at trailer cord in front of trailer . Go power has nice adapter to plug right in . Now that panel is 80 watt . I think The roof will be 150 watt that they install . Waiting for Tammy and Reace to get back from rally then give them a call . I only have a couple months to get this straight . Will I need to by pass the controller on 80 watt panel or just leave it alone ?
And have the roof one hooked up to that controller that is in trailer ?,Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:43 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Alan do you have the Escape installed Samlpex or the Go Power ?I was thinking to hook portable up at trailer cord in front of trailer . Go power has nice adapter to plug right in . Now that panel is 80 watt . I think The roof will be 150 watt that they install . Waiting for Tammy and Reace to get back from rally then give them a call . I only have a couple months to get this straight . Will I need to by pass the controller on 80 watt panel or just leave it alone ?
And have the roof one hooked up to that controller that is in trailer ?,Pat
Just making some educated guesses here since I haven't traced every wire.

If you attach the portable panel to the trailer cord, the Escape expects the same voltage that a car alternator would provide. Something around 13.8 to 14.5 volts most likely. So, the portable panel controller should be providing that voltage. But that said, it is unlikely that you can "over voltage" a pair of Escape 6 volt batteries with an 80 watt panel if the trailer is in use. (Long term storage might be a problem since the batteries will be full all the time, and the panel might be providing 16 to 18 volts.) If you do bypass the controller, be certain the blocking diode is still in the circuit or the 80 watt panel will do more harm than good.

Meanwhile, the roof panel and its controller will be functioning normally, just as if you were hooked up to a running vehicle.

I have the GoPower. I can't imagine there is any functional difference between my 160 & GoPower vs. your 150 & Samlpex.

As noted earlier, I plan to replace the Escape batteries and controller with my own design and parts. A long term project that remains to be proven functional.

--
Alan
Old 05-29-2015, 12:05 AM   #65

Quote:
Just making some educated guesses here since I haven't traced every wire.

If you attach the portable panel to the trailer cord, the Escape expects the same voltage that a car alternator would provide. Something around 13.8 to 14.5 volts most likely. So, the portable panel controller should be providing that voltage. But that said, it is unlikely that you can "over voltage" a pair of Escape 6 volt batteries with an 80 watt panel if the trailer is in use. (Long term storage might be a problem since the batteries will be full all the time, and the panel might be providing 16 to 18 volts.) If you do bypass the controller, be certain the blocking diode is still in the circuit or the 80 watt panel will do more harm than good.

Meanwhile, the roof panel and its controller will be functioning normally, just as if you were hooked up to a running vehicle.

I have the GoPower. I can't imagine there is any functional difference between my 160 & GoPower vs. your 150 & Samlpex.

As noted earlier, I plan to replace the Escape batteries and controller with my own design and parts. A long term project that remains to be proven functional.

--
Alan
Thanks Alan . Pat
Old 05-29-2015, 08:50 AM   #66

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:

--
Alan
I'd avoid a high voltage (24V+) panel unless you change to a MPPT controller. The PWM controllers (the GoPower & Samlpex supplied by Escape are PWM controllers) do not make use of the higher voltages the way that MPPT controllers do, so much of the output of the high voltage panels will be wasted even if it is the only panel feeding the controller.

As Alan states, if the panels are going to be wired in parallel, both feeding the same controller, it is important to match the voltages as closely as possible. If they are feeding the batteries through individual controllers, it doesn't matter since the controller will determine the output to the batteries for each panel.

I did notice that under certain circumstances the controller on my portable panel was "fooled" by the GoPower controller and would not produce full charging voltages. Unfortunately, this happened when the trailer was parked in the shade & the portable was in the sun (the situation where the portable makes the most sense). Even in the shade the GoPower controller produced enough voltage that the portable panel controller determined the battery was full. This is why I added the connection that lets me bypass the portable panel controller and connect it directly to the input of the GoPower controller. Another solution would be to install a switch between the roof panel and the input to the GoPower controller, so the built in panel can be disconnected under those conditions.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:13 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I'd avoid a high voltage (24V+) panel unless you change to a MPPT controller. The PWM controllers (the GoPower & Samlpex supplied by Escape are PWM controllers) do not make use of the higher voltages the way that MPPT controllers do, so much of the output of the high voltage panels will be wasted even if it is the only panel feeding the controller.

As Alan states, if the panels are going to be wired in parallel, both feeding the same controller, it is important to match the voltages as closely as possible. If they are feeding the batteries through individual controllers, it doesn't matter since the controller will determine the output to the batteries for each panel.

I did notice that under certain circumstances the controller on my portable panel was "fooled" by the GoPower controller and would not produce full charging voltages. Unfortunately, this happened when the trailer was parked in the shade & the portable was in the sun (the situation where the portable makes the most sense). Even in the shade the GoPower controller produced enough voltage that the portable panel controller determined the battery was full. This is why I added the connection that lets me bypass the portable panel controller and connect it directly to the input of the GoPower controller. Another solution would be to install a switch between the roof panel and the input to the GoPower controller, so the built in panel can be disconnected under those conditions.
Thanks Jon for the info . Pat
Old 05-29-2015, 12:30 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I did notice that under certain circumstances the controller on my portable panel was "fooled" by the GoPower controller and would not produce full charging voltages.
Consider moving (or bypassing) the blocking diode out of the portable panel and adding a blocking diode just downstream from the portable controller. That way the controller can't "see" the voltage produced by the GoPower controller. It actually shouldn't make much difference until the "load" (trailer & battery) needs more current than a single panel can provide. But under heavy loads both should contribute which really is the main objective.

A simple explanation: Two diodes connected at their cathodes (outputs) form an "OR" circuit. Meaning the current will come from the one with the higher voltage. But since the source of the power is a solar panel with a well defined maximum output, when it hits that limit then the current flows through both diodes.

Another example: A big panel in the shade produces less power than a small panel in the sun. But a large load will exceed the capacity of the small panel and pull what it can from both panels. Blocking diodes assumed to be between the panels and the controller if only one controller is used, or after the controllers if two are used.

--
Alan
Old 05-29-2015, 01:14 PM   #69

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The electronic control board for my refrigerator has a maximum supply voltage of 14.8 VDC.
The voltage output of several charge controllers that I have looked at are in the 14.8 to as high as 15.1 VDC range. The suggested solution was to disconnect the battery from the trailer's converter and hook the charge controller to the battery only, so that the high voltage cannot damage any equipment tied to the converter. That option would work to protect my refrigerator but it creates the problem of not being able to run any of the trailer's 12 VDC equipment when charging. Getting my battery to 100% would be great but not at the expense of destroying something in the process.. Is this a real concern or is it making something out of nothing.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:21 PM   #70

Quote:
Consider moving (or bypassing) the blocking diode out of the portable panel and adding a blocking diode just downstream from the portable controller. That way the controller can't "see" the voltage produced by the GoPower controller. It actually shouldn't make much difference until the "load" (trailer & battery) needs more current than a single panel can provide. But under heavy loads both should contribute which really is the main objective.

A simple explanation: Two diodes connected at their cathodes (outputs) form an "OR" circuit. Meaning the current will come from the one with the higher voltage. But since the source of the power is a solar panel with a well defined maximum output, when it hits that limit then the current flows through both diodes.

Another example: A big panel in the shade produces less power than a small panel in the sun. But a large load will exceed the capacity of the small panel and pull what it can from both panels. Blocking diodes assumed to be between the panels and the controller if only one controller is used, or after the controllers if two are used.

--
Alan
Thanks Alan I have printed out all information given to go over . Pat
Old 05-29-2015, 02:25 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
...Getting my battery to 100% would be great but not at the expense of destroying something in the process.. Is this a real concern or is it making something out of nothing.
I have the same concerns regarding the higher voltages that may be present towards the end of a charge cycle. Wether or not it will harm the various electronics in the trailer - I really have no idea. But as you noted, there are upper limits that should be taken into account and mistakes could be very expensive.

Some solutions are available but don't sound too attractive - like manually switching in a diode in series into the sensitive circuit while charging. (A standard silicon diode will drop 0.7 volts.) I would be bound to forget!

A better solution would be to purchase a battery that recommends a top charging voltage lower than the sensitive equipment.

The simple solution is to accept a 90% charge as "full", and don't try for that last 10%. I bet that is what most of us are doing right now. Worry about having fun camping instead of electrons. (Now, if you are like me, you will ignore that advice - but if you knew what I do as a hobby, you would understand.)

--
Alan
Old 05-29-2015, 04:14 PM   #72
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Experiments with solar panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The electronic control board for my refrigerator has a maximum supply voltage of 14.8 VDC.
The voltage output of several charge controllers that I have looked at are in the 14.8 to as high as 15.1 VDC range. The suggested solution was to disconnect the battery from the trailer's converter and hook the charge controller to the battery only, so that the high voltage cannot damage any equipment tied to the converter. That option would work to protect my refrigerator but it creates the problem of not being able to run any of the trailer's 12 VDC equipment when charging. Getting my battery to 100% would be great but not at the expense of destroying something in the process.. Is this a real concern or is it making something out of nothing.

Yeah I don't see the benefit of charging the batteries to the higher voltage if you have to disconnect other things in order to prevent potential damage. We just stick with the stock charge controller. I know the battery manufacturer recommends a controller capable of a higher charge, but the system works, and if it slightly shortens the battery life due to sulfation, etc, we'll just deal with it.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:00 PM   #73

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Thanks for answering my question . I think I will follow rbryan4 's advice and live with a little shorter battery life than risk possible damage .caused by excessive voltage. A new battery has to be cheaper than replacing the refrigerator' s control board .We only camp off grid a couple times a year and for 3 or 4 days max. . I was hoping a small inexpensive solar setup would solve my problem . Looks like the Renogy solar suitcase will be added to my list of mods .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:09 PM   #74

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
FWIW, I asked dometics about my 6.7 cf fridge, they gave me 18+v as the max input voltage.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:13 PM   #75

Quote:
I have the same concerns regarding the higher voltages that may be present towards the end of a charge cycle. Wether or not it will harm the various electronics in the trailer - I really have no idea. But as you noted, there are upper limits that should be taken into account and mistakes could be very expensive.

Some solutions are available but don't sound too attractive - like manually switching in a diode in series into the sensitive circuit while charging. (A standard silicon diode will drop 0.7 volts.) I would be bound to forget!

A better solution would be to purchase a battery that recommends a top charging voltage lower than the sensitive equipment.

The simple solution is to accept a 90% charge as "full", and don't try for that last 10%. I bet that is what most of us are doing right now. Worry about having fun camping instead of electrons. (Now, if you are like me, you will ignore that advice - but if you knew what I do as a hobby, you would understand.)

--
Alan
Allan so if I just go with the panel and charger Escape installs I think it is 150 watts . I really don't want to disconnect my trailer charger from battery . Then hook up my 80 watt folding panel with adapter at trailer plug if I find I need too . I should be good to go knowing my 6 volts are not going to 100 % . Which I can't get them to 100% now with trailer charger . Leaving the controller on my 80 watt panels or do I still need to change that . Pat
Old 05-29-2015, 06:15 PM   #76

Quote:
FWIW, I asked dometics about my 6.7 cf fridge, they gave me 18+v as the max input voltage.
Bob do you know what it is for the 4.3 ? Or no worry with 80 watt and 150 watt . Lots to learn . Pat
Old 05-29-2015, 10:05 PM   #77

Quote:
...Leaving the controller on my 80 watt panels or do I still need to change that . Pat
Pat,
I've drawn a diagram that MAY illustrate the wiring you could use to attach your 80W panel. Emphasis on MAY because I have not traced all the wires - yet - in my Escape 21. (A few more weeks and I should have the time.) I also, of course, don't know the details of your 80W panel and controller. I have drawn ? marks where I am most in the dark. (Apologies to Escape for my crude depiction of their well designed power distribution scheme.)

I recommend that you keep the 80W controller but bypass the diode and add your own diode between the controller and the trailer plug. By "bypass" I mean either take a small jumper cable and short-circuit the diode, or take it out and replace it with a bit of wire. Then add your own diode (Schottky preferred for lower voltage drop) after the controller. The User Modifications in the illustration show this. The purpose of all this is to prevent the 80W controller from getting confused by the voltage output by the GoPower controller.

You could just take out the 80W controller entirely. If you do, be alert to the possibility that your battery could reach 100% full and the voltage on the system might rise too high. To avoid, just don't plug in your 80W panel if the battery is above 12.9 volts to be safe. Leave the original diode in place for this option.

--
Alan
Attached Thumbnails
trailer wire.jpg  
Old 05-29-2015, 10:46 PM   #78

Quote:
Pat,
I've drawn a diagram that MAY illustrate the wiring you could use to attach your 80W panel. Emphasis on MAY because I have not traced all the wires - yet - in my Escape 21. (A few more weeks and I should have the time.) I also, of course, don't know the details of your 80W panel and controller. I have drawn ? marks where I am most in the dark. (Apologies to Escape for my crude depiction of their well designed power distribution scheme.)

I recommend that you keep the 80W controller but bypass the diode and add your own diode between the controller and the trailer plug. By "bypass" I mean either take a small jumper cable and short-circuit the diode, or take it out and replace it with a bit of wire. Then add your own diode (Schottky preferred for lower voltage drop) after the controller. The User Modifications in the illustration show this. The purpose of all this is to prevent the 80W controller from getting confused by the voltage output by the GoPower controller.

You could just take out the 80W controller entirely. If you do, be alert to the possibility that your battery could reach 100% full and the voltage on the system might rise too high. To avoid, just don't plug in your 80W panel if the battery is above 12.9 volts to be safe. Leave the original diode in place for this option.

--
Alan
Thanks Allan ! Pat
Old 05-30-2015, 01:38 AM   #79

Quote:
Bob do you know what it is for the 4.3 ? Or no worry with 80 watt and 150 watt . Lots to learn . Pat
Sorry but no, I only asked about mine.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:46 AM   #80

Quote:
Sorry but no, I only asked about mine. My concern is the controllers output, not the panel's. I'd write more but this tiny screen is too difficult.