Flipping breakers in trailer when plugging in - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2017, 02:14 AM   #41

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
All I do I make sure the breaker at the power poll is off when I plug in. I have an EMS. I have no idea how to use a tester?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:13 AM   #42

Trailer: 2015 E19'
As a left-over habit from our old Chalet A-Frame trailer, the very first thing we do before starting to unhitch is use a circuit tester on the power post. We don't have A/C, and use a 15-to-30 amp dogbone adapter on the trailer and a 15 amp outdoor power cord plugged into the 15 amp GFI on the power post, usually getting by with a nice short 12' cord. We carry 30-to-15 amp and 50-to-15 amp adapters for use on the power post just in case, and always use the tester on whatever receptacle we're plugging into, even though we have the Progressive Industries EMS - no point in subjecting it to unnecessary electrical ugliness. Two times now we have run into mis-wired 15 amp receptacles on power posts at campgrounds, and just switched over to the correctly wired 30 amp receptacles before plugging in the trailer.

The testers are cheap and easy to use - just plug it in and see what the LED's have to tell you.

Commercial Electric Tools Outlet Tester, Green-MS112H - The Home Depot
Attached Thumbnails
tester.jpg  
Old 07-04-2017, 06:02 AM   #43

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I used one of those some time ago and it was handy, but it only gives you a snap shot of the electric status. In other words, the status can change later. A surge caused by a down tree or storms in other areas can cause spikes to come through the electric. In the summer, voltage can go up and down as other campers plug in and start using electricity. The Progressive EMS is a continuous device that monitors your electric in real time, all the time. Thus if something happens while you are away or in the evening, you are protected. It will not allow the electric to flow to your trailer when plugging in if there is a fault. Thus it is like having one of these on all the time and any problem it takes care of it. You can relax and enjoy your spot and not worry about the electricity.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:11 AM   #44
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I agree. We have a tester but we've found there's no need to use it at a campground since we have the EMS. If there's a miswire, an open fault, over/under current, etc, the EMS will let us know.

And as you pointed out Jim, it's continuous monitoring, unlike the tester. I see no problem in testing before connecting, but we just don't find it necessary.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:11 PM   #45

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I agree. We have a tester but we've found there's no need to use it at a campground since we have the EMS. If there's a miswire, an open fault, over/under current, etc, the EMS will let us know.

And as you pointed out Jim, it's continuous monitoring, unlike the tester. I see no problem in testing before connecting, but we just don't find it necessary.

All this is true... IMO the best reason to test even if you have an EMS is that you don't have to hitch up and move from a site with bad power. My order of priority is 1) choose a site; 2) test the power; then 3) back into the site if it has good power.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:23 PM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
All this is true... IMO the best reason to test even if you have an EMS is that you don't have to hitch up and move from a site with bad power. My order of priority is 1) choose a site; 2) test the power; then 3) back into the site if it has good power.
I suppose, but I usually plug in before I do all the rest of my setup. If there's a problem, I move. I've only encountered a problem twice, and in both cases I suspected there would be an issue because the park was - shall we say - not top notch.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:39 PM   #47

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
I suppose, but I usually plug in before I do all the rest of my setup. If there's a problem, I move. I've only encountered a problem twice, and in both cases I suspected there would be an issue because the park was - shall we say - not top notch.

I suspect you're a LOT better at backing than I am. I'd rather amuse the other camperd once rather than twice!
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:59 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
Exactly. I may not even have the trailer and may check the sites out to see which interests me and test the pedestal. Then bring the trailer. Or if we have the trailer, we are not backing it until the site is looked over and pedestal tested.

Have still had a number of sites where we had to move because a condition was created after arrival, but no interest in starting out with a bad pedestal.

And I have lost count of the bad electrical situations with bad pedestals and storms and whatever.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:28 PM   #49

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
This is what I have questioned before. Why bother all this testing on the off chance it finds something when you have the EMS, as it will find it. In the past without an EMS I still just connected, and not once have I had a problem. Granted, we prefer not to have hookups, but if they are included we use them. I would just move if I did find an issue.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:03 PM   #50

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA Sold
As newbies (8 days and counting!) I can tell you that on our very first plug in we got bad power. We have EMS which helped out but we somehow managed to blow the 40A fuse on top of our batteries within 20 minutes of leaving ETI. Tammy says we set some kind of record.

Long story short, we now shut the breaker off at the pedestal before plugging in.

Sometimes not having any idea where we're going works out better than we could possibly have imagined. Ann Patchett
runnergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:41 PM   #51

Trailer: 2008 Jayco- Jayflight 287BHBE
I had the DW help me one time with the electrical hookup when we were setting up at the CG. I wanted to explain how the new PI EMS worked and show her how to hook it up. Unfortunately, she had already been inside the TT and had turned the A/C on max cool before power was connected. The power ped breaker was still ON and she plugged in the TT cord. Well when all the arcing stopped, I tripped the CG breaker and unplugged the TT. One of the prongs on the plug was about half gone and the other was all sooted. After a few choice words about waiting until I say it is OK to play with the electric, I loaded up in the TV and went to a nearby Lowes. I bought a replacement plug and returned to the CG. It took me about 30 mins to replace the plug. Since I had left her there without A/C, she was ready to help and wanted to see what I had to do to fix things. After repairs, She didn't want to touch the power pedestal or the wiring, but I gave her step by step instructions and when the EMS completed it's boot-up, the A/C came on and all was well.

Don't get imaptient when playing with electricity. ......Swampy

Sent from my RCT6513W87 using Tapatalk
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:54 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Why bother all this testing....
It takes a whole minute to put a tester in the pedestal. I would not back in the trailer, unhitch including WDH, level the trailer for the refrigerator, and then plug in to see if the electric works only to perhaps find that it does not.

But of course, I have done that. I only do it when I forget to use the tester. I tend to test now more.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:00 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
It takes a whole minute to put a tester in the pedestal. I would not back in the trailer, unhitch including WDH, level the trailer for the refrigerator, and then plug in to see if the electric works only to perhaps find that it does not.
Well, good for you then. You would make a lousy me. I prefer not sweating the small stuff, life is too short.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-05-2017, 12:17 AM   #54
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
You would make a lousy me.
I would make a lousy you too Jim. But I do have the hair for it. [emoji6]
Old 07-05-2017, 12:46 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
I had the DW help me one time with the electrical hookup when we were setting up at the CG. I wanted to explain how the new PI EMS worked and show her how to hook it up. Unfortunately, she had already been inside the TT and had turned the A/C on max cool before power was connected. The power ped breaker was still ON and she plugged in the TT cord. Well when all the arcing stopped, I tripped the CG breaker and unplugged the TT. One of the prongs on the plug was about half gone and the other was all sooted. After a few choice words about waiting until I say it is OK to play with the electric, I loaded up in the TV and went to a nearby Lowes. I bought a replacement plug and returned to the CG. It took me about 30 mins to replace the plug. Since I had left her there without A/C, she was ready to help and wanted to see what I had to do to fix things. After repairs, She didn't want to touch the power pedestal or the wiring, but I gave her step by step instructions and when the EMS completed it's boot-up, the A/C came on and all was well.

Don't get imaptient when playing with electricity. ......Swampy

Sent from my RCT6513W87 using Tapatalk
We all have to learn these things. Some people just assume that others know all about this. Many of us could have had the same thing happen but were just lucky. Some people wouldn't worry about it because it never happens to them. But as you unfortunatley found, such things can happen. It takes time to figure it all out when never having had a trailer. We had to go over lots of things for a while when newbies.

It is good that you gave this story so others may pay attention to turning off the pedestal before plugging in, keeping things off in the trailer at first, and other points. We often find pedestals already on. She should not be worried about using the pedestal now. Both people should know how to properly set up.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:00 AM   #56

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
We all have to learn these things. Some people just assume that others know all about this. Many of us could have had the same thing happen but were just lucky. Some people wouldn't worry about it because it never happens to them. But as you unfortunatley found, such things can happen. It takes time to figure it all out when never having had a trailer. We had to go over lots of things for a while when newbies.

It is good that you gave this story so others may pay attention to turning off the pedestal before plugging in, keeping things off in the trailer at first, and other points. We often find pedestals already on. She should not be worried about using the pedestal now. Both people should know how to properly set up.
Hi Cathy we too have a tester to use before we plug in , on the suggestion from my brother . On our original plug it was burnt and I had to replace the end . We have the EMS also . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:45 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Cathy we too have a tester to use before we plug in , on the suggestion from my brother . On our original plug it was burnt and I had to replace the end . We have the EMS also . Pat
Hey, Pat, will be looking for your photos tomorrow on the big mod.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:01 AM   #58

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Hey, Pat, will be looking for your photos tomorrow on the big mod.
You got it Cathy ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:05 AM   #59

Quote:
I would make a lousy you too Jim. But I do have the hair for it. [emoji6]
Hey, we gotta start somewhere.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:52 PM   #60

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Question Shore Power 101 Question

Quote:
Thanks for understanding the newbie's predicament and apparent stupidity!

I'm trying to make reservations for the first two nights after picking up my 17B in mid-October and have finally found a place close to Chilliwack that still has two sites available. Both offer shore power - one 50/30 amp and one 30/20 amp. I've read all about the procedure (in this thread) for testing, plugging in, then turning on something inside the trailer to see if I have power. I'm still clueless as to which power source to choose - IF EITHER of these two choices will work. Hopefully, someone here can advise.

Thanks!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote