For those who use the 1lb propane tanks - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane

Old 10-14-2016, 11:17 PM   #11

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
I've been doing essentially the same thing for years, except with the propane/butane mix used for backpacking. It is slow and time consuming, and after a couple of refills the leakage rate goes up. I don't recommend it unless you are somewhat obsessed with saving pennies and reducing waste. I made my own jig from used hiking stove parts.

One trick is to keep the bottle being filled submerged in ice water. Then weigh very carefully. Even a few percent overfilled can cause a rupture. (Don't ask me how I know this...)

(Can't believe I am admitting to this in a public forum.)

--
Alan

alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:30 AM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The problems which have been described with non-refillable cylinders leaking at the valve when they are reused are a major reason for these reusable cylinders. I don't know how good the Flame King valves are, but the Manchester cylinders use a positive shutoff handwheel-operated valve just like a 20-pound tank, so there is no issue with valve leakage.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:38 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
The Flame King refillable cylinders (not the refill adapter/kit for use with the Coleman cylinders) appear to be legal and certified for refills. Anything that's reasonably safe and helps prevent things like in the photo below, I'm all for it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2016, 01:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
One trick is to keep the bottle being filled submerged in ice water. Then weigh very carefully. Even a few percent overfilled can cause a rupture. (Don't ask me how I know this...)
The challenge in getting cylinders to fill in the no-pump gravity-flow method is that the pressure difference due to gravity is small. Then the vapour condensing in the small cylinder adds heat, raising the temperature of the small cylinder and thus its pressure, opposing the flow. At the same time, vapourization in the supply cylinder cools it and lowers its pressure, also reducing flow.

The point of the ice water is to lower the temperature, and thus the pressure, of the small cylinder below that of the supply. If you succeed in keeping the small cylinder cool enough that its pressure stays below that of the supply cylinder, overfilling is inevitable unless you close the connection first. That's why the 80% level valve on the Manchester valve is so valuable, and one reason that I wonder if the Flame King cylinder is actually suitable for refilling.

Speaking of shutting off the fill... both Flame King and Manchester systems include a quick-acting lever-type fill valve; the home-hack method uses the slow-to-turn supply cylinder service valve.

If you want to cool the small cylinder with less risk, you might try just pointing a fan at it to improve heat transfer, or use circulating room-temperature water.

A key thing to not do in the home-hack method of refilling (inverted 20-pound supply cylinder, no control, no monitoring...) is to heat the supply cylinder to raise its pressure. That's a good way to cause big problems if over-done.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The Flame King refillable cylinders (not the refill adapter/kit for use with the Coleman cylinders) appear to be legal and certified for refills.
It looks like they meet the DOT standard (and perhaps a Transport Canada standard) for pressure vessels, but it's hard to believe that any agency would approve of filling cylinders the way Flame King does it.
Refillable
https://www.propane-refill.com/pages...ne-refill-info

The second site (which is branded Flame King but is from a separate company) refers to exchange (which would be a sensible way to handle the filling challenges), but that's only available at limited locations, apparently in California.

Quote:
The Flame King refillable cylinders (not the refill adapter/kit for use with the Coleman cylinders) appear to be legal and certified for refills. Anything that's reasonably safe and helps prevent things like in the photo below, I'm all for it.
I agree, but I'm not convinced that the Flame King system is reasonably safe. There are three definitely safe ways to avoid the disposables:
  1. the Manchester refillable system,
  2. larger cylinders used with a hose to the appliance, or
  3. adapt the appliance to a regulated low-pressure supply, and use the low-pressure propane from a proper system (such as that of an RV)
Old 10-15-2016, 06:44 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yes, California is leaning toward mandating use of refillable canisters to reduce landfill waste.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:06 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Two of the campsites we stayed at on our trip this summer had big signs by their recycling bins stating that absolutely no 1# propane bottles were to be left there. Guess what was piled on the ground directly below those signs.
Personally I would like to see them totally eliminated.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #18

Trailer: 2010 17B "MATT"
U-Haul recently introduced refillable 1 pound cylinders. I snapped one up before our retailer had even put them on the shelf. Works fine so far.

https://www.uhaul.com/Articles/Susta...IN-California/
Old 10-15-2016, 10:51 AM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I use some of the one pound disposables. I notice that over time they may bleed dry. I bought a couple of brass caps, gasketed, that work pretty well. I'm going to go to a 5 or 11 lb refillable when I run out of my current supply for cooking at least. I only used the lantern a couple times this season and could hang it and use a hose too. As an aside, a friend of mine with the Indiana DNR, was on a prairie burn one spring. They were done with the active burn and we're taking a break along the road before going out to wet down hotspots where the burn had started old logs smoldering. Someone had discarded several one pounders under one of these logs. Exploding grenade time complete with shrapnel which did not injure anybody but extended the break time and distanced the location between coffee cup and coffee drinker. Needless to say, they did not like the one pounders at all.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:37 PM   #20

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B, 2016 Tacoma Off Road
I switched to a 5 lb (one gallon) refillable tank. While expensive (more than a 20 pound tank) they are far easier to refill, no stripped threads, which was a problem on the disposable tanks, and using it for the stove/grill, one tank last weeks. It also gives you an emergency supply id your main tanks are empty.