For those who use the 1lb propane tanks - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2016, 12:49 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
This is a great thread and has caused me to rethink my opposition to the exterior propane quick connect option. Some photos show it hanging under the trailer without much protection although that is the best place IF there is a leak.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:10 PM   #22

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I switched to a 5 lb (one gallon) refillable tank. While expensive (more than a 20 pound tank) they are far easier to refill, no stripped threads, which was a problem on the disposable tanks, and using it for the stove/grill, one tank last weeks. It also gives you an emergency supply id your main tanks are empty.
What do I have to do to attach a 5 lb tank to my propane stove (Outdoor?) There must be some kind of adapter required.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:29 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
What do I have to do to attach a 5 lb tank to my propane stove (Outdoor?) There must be some kind of adapter required.
Correct, you need an adapter. Fortunately, they're available everywhere. Here's the one I picked up at Lowes. Be aware that a camp stove designed to run on a 1 lb cylinder is high pressure, so there's no pressure regulator involved. Just one end of the hose to your tank, the other to the stove.
Attached Thumbnails
propane stove adapter.jpg  
Old 10-15-2016, 01:32 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I use some of the one pound disposables. I notice that over time they may bleed dry. I bought a couple of brass caps, gasketed, that work pretty well. I'm going to go to a 5 or 11 lb refillable when I run out of my current supply for cooking at least.
Dave
I've had the odd one leak over a long period of time. When I bought my fire pit I started using an 11 pound tank with it. More flexibility on where you use it and nice to have a small reserve tank for the trailer. Then I got the adapter for my stove and that works well also so my usage of 1# tanks is decreasing.

I like the U-haul tank with an 11 year expiry date. For occasional use that could be the ticket and their refill price seems reasonable.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:18 AM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Be aware that a camp stove designed to run on a 1 lb cylinder is high pressure, so there's no pressure regulator involved. Just one end of the hose to your tank, the other to the stove.
I think that was supposed to be "no pressure regulator in the adapter". The camp stove has its own regulator, and that is still used with the 5-pound (or any other size) of cylinder.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
U-Haul recently introduced refillable 1 pound cylinders. I snapped one up before our retailer had even put them on the shelf. Works fine so far.

https://www.uhaul.com/Articles/Susta...IN-California/
Good news
Useless for everyone else, until it comes to at least our home areas (to stock up with enough for an entire trip without refills)... and preferably to all areas. With any luck they'll be popular in California. Since U-Haul locations in this area don't even have normal propane service, I don't know if the one-pound exchange cylinders will ever appear here (around Edmonton, Alberta).

My guess would be that these are the Flame King cylinders, but of course I don't have one to check.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:44 AM   #27

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Good news

Useless for everyone else, until it comes to at least our home areas (to stock up with enough for an entire trip without refills)... and preferably to all areas. With any luck they'll be popular in California. Since U-Haul locations in this area don't even have normal propane service, I don't know if the one-pound exchange cylinders will ever appear here (around Edmonton, Alberta).

My guess would be that these are the Flame King cylinders, but of course I don't have one to check.

I believe they may indeed be the same as the Flame King. They look suspiciously similar in pics.

U-Haul is not operating an exchange program with them, however. Customers purchase the cylinders and U-Haul will refill them as needed for $1.99. When I got mine, within days if their release, corporate U-Haul hadn't yet provided their stores instructions on how to fill them, so while they are supposed to initially come filled, I had to take an empty as we were leaving northern Cali, headed out for an extended trip. I've been subsequently successful filling the little thing, but haven't used it terribly often, just a few times when I wanted to set up the Camp Chef oven more than 20 feet or so (the limit of our hose) from our 17B's LP quick detach.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
U-Haul is not operating an exchange program with them, however. Customers purchase the cylinders and U-Haul will refill them as needed for $1.99.
Sorry - the U-Haul announcement was clear that they are refilling but I was thinking of exchange. This explains why one-pound cylinder service is only available at U-Haul locations with bulk propane... and we don't have those here. I wouldn't trust a typical U-Haul agency employee to fill a propane cylinder with no good method of controlling the fill level; I hope their propane operations are better than the trailer operations of their dealers.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:08 PM   #29

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I wouldn't trust a typical U-Haul agency employee to fill a propane cylinder with no good method of controlling the fill level; I hope their propane operations are better than the trailer operations of their dealers.

Me too ;-)