For those who use the 1lb propane tanks - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane

Old 10-14-2016, 03:36 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
For those who use the 1lb propane tanks

Amazon has a new refillable setup which looks interesting.
https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-YS...ing+refillable

Old 10-14-2016, 03:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I did that for a while, but found it way too much of a pain. Even stowing the bottles in the freezer for a while only allowed for them to fill not much more than half full at best.

I am using those 1 lb bottles with the stove and BBQ with my temp trailer. What a pain. I am so looking forward to a low pressure connection with my 5.0.

Others may like doing the exercise though.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I've been refilling 1 lb. cylinders for years. I made my own adapter but there are commercial ones available.

There's been previous discussions about doing this. Some folks are dead against doing it for a variety of reasons. Personally I've never had an issue.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Manchester introduced a refillable one-pound cylinder (Manchester Tank: 1# Refillable Cylinders) a few years ago, which looks well-designed; it has a proper service valve. The Flame King design looks to me like a disposable cylinder, just upgraded in construction; that might be okay, but seems less desirable.

It is the filling arrangement which disturbs me about the Flame King "system". This is the classic home hack which involves inherently unsafe handling of the source cylinder. I'm not so concerned about Ron doing this, but most people don't have a clue what they're doing and things can go wrong. Manchester's hose connects to a proper liquid service valve, avoiding this problem. I think one reason that Manchester's system has never caught on well is that they will apparently only sell the required fill hose to qualified propane dispensers so most people can't get the fill hose - and wouldn't have a liquid source anyway - and so they don't have a good way to fill the small cylinders.

What I consider to be a significant problem with the Flame King systems is that there is no sound control of the fill amount. With little pressure driving the fill, the small cylinder will not over-fill in a reasonable time; however, if you leave it long enough there will be inadequate (or no) vapour space remaining in the small cylinder... and most people won't check, and have no good way to dump excess propane.

The Manchester refillable cylinder has a fixed liquid level "gauge" - the same sort of bleed valve connected by a dip tube to the 80% volume level in cylinder as larger cylinders. This lets the person filling the cylinder stop the fill when liquid appears, just as with a conventional cylinder.

A member of FiberglassRV converted his Trillium to use a "forklift" tank instead of the usual "barbecue" tanks. Combined with Manchester's one-pound cylinders and fill hose, this seems like an ideal configuration: metered fill of the forklift tank whenever desired, real level gauge in the forklift tank, and inexpensively filled small cylinders to use wherever needed for stoves and grills.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Thanks for the vote of confidence Brian. When this topic came up before, about a year or so ago, someone mentioned videos on YouTube. I checked them out. Some of them made me cringe

I do weight the cylinder while filling and I'm careful not to overfill. I do it myself for two reasons; first I'm using up the propane in a 100# cylinder that I otherwise have no use for and I use the cylinders for a variety of uses. Works for me.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:45 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have friends that came oh-so-close to several 1# refilled propane canisters destroying their 5th wheel, I'd never consider it. I bought a regular 10# propane tank for those times I need a smaller canister. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
yep. propane be very scary if not treated with 100% respect. I had a 1 lber with a leaky nozzle once. coulda blown up me and my micro bus.

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:59 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpick View Post
yep. propane be very scary if not treated with 100% respect. I had a 1 lber with a leaky nozzle once. coulda blown up me and my micro bus.

steve
That's the scenario of my friends, several refilled that leaked. They were carrying the pounders in a milk crate in the "basement" of their 5er. When my friend opened the hatch, the propane smell was nearly overwhelming. Never again, never again.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19'
I quit messing with the 1# years ago and carry a 5# tank. The propane company thinks it's cute when I bring it in to refill.

https://www.amazon.com/Manchester-Ta.../dp/B000243QA0
Old 10-14-2016, 07:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I have a Coleman propane lantern. To put it back in the box, I have to remove the one pound cylinder. Often a cylinder that was half full or so will be empty when I get it out of storage to reattach. I wouldn't have confidence in refillable cylinders.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote