fresh water fill from jug - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2019, 03:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
fresh water fill from jug

I occasionally add fresh water without a nearby faucet, so I made fittings to fill from a jug resting on the spare tire.

The jug is a 6-gallon Reliance water container from Walmart. I made a cap for the jug that accepts garden hose and connects to tubing. The cap replaces the plastic nozzle and is a 3/4" to 1/2" reducer with an aluminum plate, rubber washer, and conduit nut. The aluminum and rubber were 1/8" stock that I cut to fit. The tubing is 1/2" inside diameter 5/8" outside diameter that fits into a barbed garden hose connector and slips into the escape water fill tube.

I do have to hoist the jug onto the spare tire, but then just need to steady it, open the bleeder, and wait until it drains.

Bill R
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0342_crop.jpg   DSC_0341_crop.jpg   DSC_0340_crop.jpg  
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
That is a great idea! I carry a similar 6 gallon container for adding water when there's not a faucet at our site, and have found that it's a real challenge to stand there and hold the jug while it pours into the trailer using the container's short spout. I can manage it for now, but as the years take their toll I can see where that could become tough to manage.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
This is a great idea.
We switched from 5 gallon to 3 gallon water jugs because they just got too hard to lift.
For some reason I never noticed that the sparetire was a good perch.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:20 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I've been using 5 gallon 'water cooler' style bottles. I have a Dolphin brand pump that fits in them, and its nozzle is just about the right size for that clear vinyl hose to fit over, so I use the pump to transfer water into the tank... the Dolphin is actually an air pump, you push it down a few brisk strokes and hold it down, and the air pressure pushes the water out, a few more strokes and hold keeps it going.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Good idea. Thanks for posting ..... as the years slide by tasks like this don’t get easier.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:51 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Never thought about using the spare. I've put the cooler on top of a small folding table to try and get the jug up high enough. May have to start packing along a longer hose for going this route. I use a 7 gallon Reliant jug but rarely fill it. Sometimes shuttle 1 gallon milk jugs, dumping them into the Reliant, then let gravity do it's thing. Doesn't take long if one doesn't let the tank get down much.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Some of the Reliance containers (such as the 7 USgal / 26 L Aqua-Tainer, which may be what Bob has) have a dispensing valve (spigot) in the cap, and that valve has a common pipe thread (I think it's 1/2" NPT), so it could be unscrewed and replaced with a suitable fitting (a male NPT to garden hose male adapter).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:59 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape
Thanks for posting. I always put the jug on a chair and siphoned the water into the tank. It worked fine, but your idea will be a touch easier.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I put my water 20 litre container on the picnic table and draw water there. Have never needed to transfer water to the fresh tank. If I need water, I always need to dump too.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I also use a 6 gallon water container to fill my fresh water tank. (6 gallon was a good price) Eventually I accepted that just because it holds 6 gallons, I don’t need to fill it to the top. 1/2 full (3 gallons) at a time works for me! I use the same philosophy on draining my gray tank if I’m staying long enough to fill it. A smaller container emptied every day or so works for me.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:32 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Great minds think alike
I did something similar almost 2 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
2018.jpg  
Old 11-14-2019, 07:53 PM   #12

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We carry a spare water pump. Put the water jug on the ground, hook up the pump and 2 hoses and never hoist. The pump is a spare from our now sold sailboat, but exactly the same as the Escape pump.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:11 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I've been using 5 gallon 'water cooler' style bottles. I have a Dolphin brand pump that fits in them, and its nozzle is just about the right size for that clear vinyl hose to fit over, so I use the pump to transfer water into the tank... the Dolphin is actually an air pump, you push it down a few brisk strokes and hold it down, and the air pressure pushes the water out, a few more strokes and hold keeps it going.
Looks like I will get another Dolphin pump ! Great idea ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:30 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We use the Reliance Aqua-Tainer, at 26 litres, or 7 US gallons. Lisa holds a funnel in the water fill spout and I just lift it and slowly dump it in. Fortunately I am still fairly young (62 soon) and can do this easily still. Besides, a good workout is always fun to do, but as I get older I may have to find an aid.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:49 PM   #15

Trailer: 505 5.0TA
Sunrisetrucker, did the jug come with the spigot? Can you point me to where you got it if so?
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:56 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We use the Reliance Aqua-Tainer, at 26 litres, or 7 US gallons. Lisa holds a funnel in the water fill spout and I just lift it and slowly dump it in. Fortunately I am still fairly young (62 soon) and can do this easily still. Besides, a good workout is always fun to do, but as I get older I may have to find an aid.
Exactly what we have been doing but always looking for a better solution . Forgot bought a battery operated transfer pump at Harbor Freight . Just need to remember what the heck I did with it Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:16 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
For those with a 19 and available space under the bed, you can draw directly from the water jug via the winterizing T-valve. I’ve done this with a 15l container when we’re just going camping for the weekend. Looking on amazon, I found this 23l container that seems like it would also fit...

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...5JPFPP5S&psc=1
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:49 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Exactly what we have been doing but always looking for a better solution . Forgot bought a battery operated transfer pump at Harbor Freight . Just need to remember what the heck I did with it Pat
I will likely be doing similar in time, just putting in the effort to put it off as long as possible.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:16 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Sunrisetrucker, did the jug come with the spigot? Can you point me to where you got it if so?
The jug is one of those collapsible ones you can buy at almost any camping supply store. I think it's made by Colman. I bought mine at our local "Canadian Tire Store" . But I guess you don't have them down there. It comes with a round spigot and I just went to a local hardware store and bought a lenght of clear tubing whose inside diameter matched the outside diameter of the spigot.
What I like about this setup is the jug collapses when not in use and so takes up alot less space.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:36 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Good and simple Bill

I screwed my winterizing tee valve directly into the tank. Now I can draw antifreeze or extra fresh water.
If you need more how to information, you can find it here: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post266446
Attached Thumbnails
C5075E78-6F7F-430C-898E-DC1961C22CB5.jpeg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote