Fridge catches on fire.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Fridge catches on fire....

Brought the trailer home from storage the other day. I had taken the battery out, charged it, and put it back in. AC power was plugged in, propane was off. Fridge was set to DC. I turned on the fridge, a moment later, acrid smoke billowed out of the upper vent outside and flames shot out of the lower vent. I quickly turned off the fridge, opened the lower cover and found the fuse holder had started to burn.... Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0710.jpg   IMG_0712.jpg  
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Strange that the fuse did not just blow, and open the circuit. There must be something amiss with the fuse holder, or fuse. Minimally, I would replace it, or better yet, have a certified technician check it over. There could be an even deeper issue if the fridge for some reason was trying to draw more current than normal.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
I see some light coloured material on the module, if it is road salt residue that could cause arcing and problems. Just a thought.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape
Check to be sure that the battery terminals are not reversed.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Check to be sure that the battery terminals are not reversed.
That should result in a blown main fuse. I know someone who knew better, but still tested the theory out.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:08 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Why run on 12v while plugged in? Is that in itself an issue, I always thought that 120v and then propane were the preferred "Automatic" sequences.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Certainly there was a problem in the fuse holder. The fuse will only blow if there is excessive current through the fuse, so if the problem was a short circuit around the fuse, passing current through a high resistance (causing heat) but not going through the fuse, it wouldn't blow. Even another fuse located elsewhere (such as at the main panel) would not blow unless its capacity was exceeded, and the lack of wire melting suggests that the current was not that high.

Let's say, for example, that the circuit is supplied by a 10-amp fuse - that means up to 10 amps could flow (which means an 1.2-ohm resistance), putting 120 watts of heat into that little chunk of soft plastic, melting and burning it.

Fortunately, a new fuse holder is an easy fix to a situation which must have been scary... although I think Jim's right, and a check-out of the refrigerator and its wiring might be prudent.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Scary, scary, scary. But, not an ETI build issue. Does anyone else remember Frederick Simson refrigerator horror story, exactly like this? And it was a "years old" FiberSteam.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ire-37702.html
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Well, replaced the ATO fuse holder along with a new 5 amp fuse. Held my breath, turned on the fridge and..... everything seems to be fine. The fridge is cooling and doing what fridges are supposed to do. Not sure what caused the fuse to short out but I will be watching this for a while....
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
One possibility - bad (loose) contacts between the fuse & the fuse holder. This can cause heating even within the current ratings of the fuse, so the fuse doesn't open. As Brian noted, fuse holders are not designed to dissipate wattage - any significant voltage drop across the terminals will produce heat.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 13
You don't say what make or model fridge you have, but if it's a Norcold there have been a number of fridge fires with that brand. There are recalls out on some models, though I don't know if any are related to the fuseholder.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote