Fridge on Battery while towing? - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2016, 03:37 PM   #61

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & Penny Smith View Post
Escape's orientation video clearly recommends running on 12V (after pre-cooling on 120V) and indicates the frig will use little power if it is already cool. If this is possible without draining the trailer battery (ies)?
Most responders seem to recommend running on propane, but will 12V (as recommended by Escape) work--without significantly discharging the trailer batteries?
That would depend on the wiring of your tow vehicle, and to some extent on the voltage regulation logic of your tow vehicle; both of these vary greatly between tow vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & Penny Smith View Post
If so, it would seem to me to have the advantage of not having to remember to turn off the frig (if running on propane) at fuel stops.
Yes, running on 12V DC power while towing is certainly the most convenient method and avoids both the hassle of switching off of propane for refueling, and the risk of forgetting to switch off.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:38 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean View Post
If set on battery, I don't think you have to turn fridge off when stop briefly, but you do need to unplug the 7-way cable or your car battery and/or trailer battery would drain (see response from senior member at beginning of thread).
The (tow vehicle) car battery will only drain down if the tow vehicle wiring is missing the shut-off relay which is normally included in a trailer power circuit (this is the "solenoid" which Jon mentioned); however, draining the trailer battery is a significant issue due to the high power demand of a refrigerator.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:49 PM   #63

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
To answer your question, between the solar and the tow vehicle you'll be fine running on battery when towing. I would recommend switching to Auto when you stop for the night.

The issue is, you need to remember to manually swap to battery, then to the other source when you stop for the night.

I sometimes swap to battery if the weather is going to be decent, but I forget about it pretty often, usually give up and just leave it on auto. The amount of propane the fridge uses is pretty low. I get a couple weeks out of a 20lb tank, so roughly a buck a day with the bigger 6.7 fridge, and a little bit of hot water heater run time.

Some folks shutoff the propane when fueling, most don't. Some folks worry about exploding from propane when traveling, most don't. Take your pick.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:59 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Some folks shutoff the propane when fueling, most don't.
Just to clarify... there is no reason to shut off the supply of propane when fueling, only to turn any propane-fired appliances off or to other energy sources. The risk associated with fueling is due to the flame as an ignition source, not due to having propane in the system.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:21 PM   #65

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Okay. On revise...

Some folks shutoff propane appliances when fueling, most don't.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:50 PM   #66

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
If you are worried about killing the battery of your tow vehicle during stops, it is worth checking your 7 pin connector with a tester - 7 pin tester. It is not too expensive an addition to your tool kit & can be used to check whether the charge line stays on or off with the ignition as well as giving you a way to determine whether non working trailer lights are the fault of the trailer or the tow vehicle.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:18 PM   #67

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Thanks for the advice (and opinions). As Jim pointed out, we'll have to experiment to determine what works best for us (and will have to buy a wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer so we have some idea of what's happening in the fridge. We're off on a trip to the Ruby Mountains (NV) this weekend, so will try 12V on the drive from Salt Lake to Elko (roughly 4--5 hours).
Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:41 PM   #68

Trailer: 21 on Feb 28, 2017 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
If you are worried about killing the battery of your tow vehicle during stops, it is worth checking your 7 pin connector with a tester - 7 pin tester. It is not too expensive an addition to your tool kit & can be used to check whether the charge line stays on or off with the ignition as well as giving you a way to determine whether non working trailer lights are the fault of the trailer or the tow vehicle.
Good tip. Thanks Jon. Just added it to the latest Amazon order.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:43 PM   #69

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
We have a 19 with dual 6v batteries and 150W solar panel. Our tow vehicle is a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the battery and alternator in the TV connected through the 7 pin plug. We took a 3 week trip recently to southwest national parks, and ran the trailer refrigerator on 12v all the time while traveling. We had no problem with the battery draining. We had sun most of the time while traveling and the battery was always fully charged when we arrived. We usually stop every 2-3 hours for breaks or lunch and never disconnected the 7-pin. We always turn the propane off while traveling. When we stop for the night, as part of our unhooking, we turn on the propane and if we are dry camping, turn the refrigerator to propane, or if we have electric, turn it to 120v. It works so well, we see no reason to change. The power is basically free (sun and tow vehicle running anyway) and we don't use any propane while traveling.
Our experience is exactly like Bill's. We have the solar and dual sixes also. I have to confess though, Bill taught me everything I know about solar and batteries during our pre-purchase viewing. Thanks Bill!
Old 06-20-2016, 06:45 PM   #70

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
We have never used the 12V option for powering our fridge. Majority of the time (probably >90%) we use propane, and the other 50% of the time we use 120V AC power.
A very good Yogism