Furnace - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
There are some sticks that are specifically claimed by the company to be four-season. I know of someone who was getting one instead of an Escape because of that.
You misread my post. I just said most aren't.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:08 AM   #42

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I believe that Escape has specifically said that their trailers are not four-season. Anyone who needs four-season should get a Bigfoot or a stick.
or a cabin.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:09 AM   #43

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Not sure where you are in Wisconsin, but there are some KOA's open year round in Iowa and Illinois where you can get electric and some even have heated water hookups. Get yourself a good heated supply hose and you should be fine.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:11 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
or a cabin.
It takes much longer to hear up our cabin (insulated cookhouse) than our trailer, especially with wood, but when we get it there, it is on so nice!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-07-2017, 01:01 PM   #45

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The issue we have is that we leave our home in the cold (27 below) and our first stop is in the cold (17 below zero)
When we stop after the first / second day of driving, we are trying to bring our trailer from ambient up to a temp where we can eat our dinner and get some sleep. This warm up process has taken 3 to 4 hours in some cases and we could still see our breath in parts of the trailer.
Have you considered running the onboard furnace while traveling? I know this suggestion might be off limits for some, but I thought I saw this was actually suggested by Reace when traveling in very cold weather. It was in one of the threads where someone was concerned with their plumbing freezing as they traveled through some cold areas.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:09 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
If it's 20 below zero and your sitting in a cold trailer waiting for it to warm up , noise is the least of your worries plus with a full face stocking cap on you can't hear anyway.

The issue we have is that we leave our home in the cold (27 below) and our first stop is in the cold (17 below zero)
When we stop after the first / second day of driving, we are trying to bring our trailer from ambient up to a temp where we can eat our dinner and get some sleep . This warm up process has taken 3 to 4 hours in some cases and we could still see our breath in parts of the trailer.
The heater in our Old Scamp and the furnace in a new 21ft Escape have approx the same BTU output but the Escape has a 35 % larger interior volume.
This is NOT a criticism of Escape and I am sure the Escape's furnace is adequate for its' intended / stated purpose.
I assumed since many Escape owners live in Canada or the Northern US that some had run into this problem when heading south in the winter .
Since the size of the 12,000 btu furnace and the 16,000 btu furnace are identical , the installation is the same and the cost difference is minor , I thought it might be an option to explore.
Just trying to avoid sitting in my warm truck at the end of a day of driving waiting hours for my trailer to warm up.
Steve, a possible workaround to the warm up time which I have seen mentioned elsewhere on the forum is to have the furnace running while driving so the trailer isn't frozen solid when you stop for the night. Of course, that requires propane running while driving, which has taken up a few other discussion threads.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:41 PM   #47

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
When we stop after the first / second day of driving, we are trying to bring our trailer from ambient up to a temp where we can eat our dinner and get some sleep . This warm up process has taken 3 to 4 hours in some cases and we could still see our breath in parts of the trailer.
If I were faced with situation I might consider an inexpensive 2500 watt ("modified" sine wave) inverter, mounted fairly close to the alternator of the tow. From there a 20 amp rated extension cord back to the trailer, and inside, a cheap space heater (anchored securely) running while the engine was on. Perhaps about $300 USD for the package? This will most likely keep the trailer at least 20-30 degrees above ambient making the warmup much more tolerable.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #48

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
If I were faced with situation I might consider an inexpensive 2500 watt ("modified" sine wave) inverter, mounted fairly close to the alternator of the tow. From there a 20 amp rated extension cord back to the trailer, and inside, a cheap space heater (anchored securely) running while the engine was on. Perhaps about $300 USD for the package? This will most likely keep the trailer at least 20-30 degrees above ambient making the warmup much more tolerable.
I was thinking about something 12V but that is limited to probably 300W or so and you have to worry about the tow vehicle keeping the trailer battery charged adequately. Your idea is much better and could provide a nice amount of heat.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #49

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The furnace has several safety steps which involve purging the line and checking for proper airflow. All this is done before ignition and heat.
what are they?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:59 PM   #50

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Not sure where you are in Wisconsin, but there are some KOA's open year round in Iowa and Illinois where you can get electric and some even have heated water hookups. Get yourself a good heated supply hose and you should be fine.
Falun Wisconsin , Population 82 . We are just slightly South and East of Duluth Mn / Superior Wi
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:49 PM   #51

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Hi Steve,

I think someone mentioned a Mr Heater propane infrared type furnace you can remove, it hangs on a wall, once winter passes. No electrical demand just lots of propane for both furnaces.

You seem to like road travel in the middle of winter. How interesting and gutsy.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:52 PM   #52

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Sorry I thought I was clear I was talking about the old furnace. I was uncertain of the newer model Escape now uses.
Sorry, my mind was on the track of a possible request to Escape to change the furnace supplied with a new trailer - that would be the AF Series. In an existing trailer built before the change of furnace models, it would be the Everest Star series, and I trust that the swap to a higher output would work, if that's what appears to be the case from the manual.

Quote:
So now that we are on the same page if the newer AFDS16 needed one duct out the side it looks like it could possibly be brought out the side of the cabinet towards the bed on a 21. Harder on a 19 because of its position in the trailer. Thoughts?
I agree. The furnace position on the 21' makes a very short side duct blowing forward toward the bed really easy; I think this makes a lot of sense and would help air circulation.

Ducts in any other direction on the 21', and anywhere in other models, are tougher, but there are still possibilities... either to make a higher-output furnace more suitable, or to improve heat distribution.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #53

This is how I intend to provide good circulation in our 5.0TA. The Caframo Sirocco is used a lot in the marine world, and made here in Canada. Nice that it folds out of the way, and can swing out into the aisle. Will help when using heat or A/C, especially for loft air circulation, and Lisa loves having moving air on her face year round in our bedroon.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:53 PM   #54

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
could you please list the 'several safety steps' that should be done prior to ignition and heat (for the original poster as well as all of us).
Here's a basic sequence of operations.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2498.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	21002
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:07 PM   #55

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Have you considered running the onboard furnace while traveling? I know this suggestion might be off limits for some, but I thought I saw this was actually suggested by Reace when traveling in very cold weather. It was in one of the threads where someone was concerned with their plumbing freezing as they traveled through some cold areas.
That was us when we picked up in Nov 2015. Reace recommended we run with the furnace set about 55 if we encountered freezing temps. We did and ran from Seattle to Boise with furnace on. No issues worked great and no long warm up period from 55.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:30 PM   #56

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Greg
Thanks for clarifying this. This is something snowbirds can encounter when heading south. As well as winter pickups from Chilliwack. One advantage, albeit a minor one, is pickups probably will not be carrying much or any food items. As a possible bird this year I was wondering how to deal with cold temperatures inside the trailer. I know the furnaces are designed to be operated while driving with the usual safety precautions but did not hear of anyone doing it. Of course outside temperatures make all the difference. My concern was not regarding personal comfort but rather the perishable items one may carry. Probably not the time to plan to eat many salads but what about other food items that the usual traveler carries. How much drop in temperature can one expect during an 8 hour day of driving at below freezing temperatures?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:36 PM   #57

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
My concern was not regarding personal comfort but rather the perishable items one may carry. Probably not the time to plan to eat many salads
Hi, I thought perishables thrived in cold conditions ? When I go to Costco to buy salads and veggies, we eat a lot of them, its in a very cold walk in room. It goes home straight to the refrigerator. Am I missing something ?
Old 01-07-2017, 10:43 PM   #58

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Let's take lettuce, a common salad component. You are correct in that the recommended storage temperature for lettuce is 40 degrees. However lettuce and many vegetables contain a great deal of water, if they freeze they turn to mush.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:55 PM   #59

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Maybe a cooler in the tow vehicle with the freezables in it. Not too much effort to move them from unit to unit. Beer is good down pretty low. Especially some of the Belgian Tripples. Or Hooch
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:29 PM   #60

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Hi, I thought perishables thrived in cold conditions ? When I go to Costco to buy salads and veggies, we eat a lot of them, its in a very cold walk in room. It goes home straight to the refrigerator. Am I missing something ?
Just that up here the outside world - and thus eventually the trailer interior - gets a lot colder than a refrigerator in the winter.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote