Furnace - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2017, 10:27 AM   #71

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Jim,

Be sure to check out the Amazon reviews on this particular Caframo product. After reading them, I opted for the similar, "Bora" model. Don't mean to put doubts in your mind, but thought you should know FWIW.
I read those, but also read about it on some marine forums, and there it got really good reviews. Go to amazon.ca and it gets a 4.8 rating while the Bora got 2.5, go figure. Personally, I will look at Amazon reviews, but take them with a grain of salt, as many reviewers just chime in to bitch, while those that are happy go about their merry way.

It is the same with travel destinations. I have read scathing reviews of places that left me to wonder if they were at the same place i was. I think some just have their expectations too high, thus end up disappointed.

Besides, it was not that pricey, and to change out if ever needed is not a big deal.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:24 AM   #72

Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0, 2015 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Greg
Thanks for clarifying this. This is something snowbirds can encounter when heading south. As well as winter pickups from Chilliwack. One advantage, albeit a minor one, is pickups probably will not be carrying much or any food items. As a possible bird this year I was wondering how to deal with cold temperatures inside the trailer. I know the furnaces are designed to be operated while driving with the usual safety precautions but did not hear of anyone doing it. Of course outside temperatures make all the difference. My concern was not regarding personal comfort but rather the perishable items one may carry. Probably not the time to plan to eat many salads but what about other food items that the usual traveler carries. How much drop in temperature can one expect during an 8 hour day of driving at below freezing temperatures?
Last winter we left MB in deep freeze conditions in January, did not even consider sleeping in the trailer, had booked hotel in SD, but we did have a lot of food staples with us, traveled inside the truck and had to carry them in and out of the hotel. Of course no fruit or vegetables with us as we could barely leave home before crossing into the US and as we all know, you can't take those into the US. We spent two weeks at our daughter's in KS then headed to NM. We didn't even de winterize the trailer until we got to friends home in Las Cruces. The prior night at a campground in northern NM it was -11C when we got up in the morning. Out of curiosity I tried the water tap at the site, of course it was frozen.

Adrian

emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:03 PM   #73

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Go to amazon.ca and it gets a 4.8 rating while the Bora got 2.5, go figure. Personally, I will look at Amazon reviews, but take them with a grain of salt, as many reviewers just chime in to bitch, while those that are happy go about their merry way.
I think some folks major in "Negativity Sciences" while in school. Interestingly, I just checked Amazon's Ratings for the Bora and it's 3.9 - as you said, go figure. So much for my confidence in their rating systems.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:03 PM   #74

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L 4x4
Winter in Alabama: 17 degrees this morning (Sunday), predicted to be in the 70's by Wednesday.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:26 PM   #75
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Winter in Alabama: 17 degrees this morning (Sunday), predicted to be in the 70's by Wednesday.
No sympathy here. I'm supposed to be landing on Maui Hawaii in 2 hours - instead I am stuck in Portland, Oregon with all flights cancelled due to an ice storm............

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #76
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
No sympathy here. I'm supposed to be landing on Maui Hawaii in 2 hours - instead I am stuck in Portland, Oregon with all flights cancelled due to an ice storm............
Oh Man! That sux. I'm about 5 miles east of Portland International Airport and it's really coming down out here... freezing rain that is. I hope you can get out soon Charlie.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:10 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
For RVing I choose plan B.

Still good temps tomorrow to go for a ski with not as much worry of overheating.
Okay, I still did overheat, cut my face is grizzled because of the wind. Saw 3 bucks on the ski. Excuse the crappy zoomed in cell phone shot.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-08-2017, 05:37 PM   #78

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
72 degrees here today. Time to go camping.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:45 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
72 degrees here today. Time to go camping.
Let the melting begin.

Someday, not too far off, I will spend parts of my winter down your way, and across the southern states. No way I could survive the summers though.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:48 PM   #80

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
You'd be surprised, Jim. We sit on the patio year round as long as you're not in the direct sun it's fine. I've been way more uncomfortable in 90 degree summers in humid places than our summers here.

Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote