Furnace - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2017, 11:35 PM   #61

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Maybe a cooler in the tow vehicle with the freezables in it. Not too much effort to move them from unit to unit. Beer is good down pretty low. Especially some of the Belgian Tripples. Or Hooch
Dave
I agree, but it's easy to miss things. Any liquid will freeze, probably be ruined, and potentially burst the container if it gets cold enough (lots of alcohol makes that temperature quite low, of course). When completely packed for a trip, that means potentially moving beverages, toiletries, and maybe even cleaning products, in addition to normally refrigerated foods.

Here's another fun effect of winter: if the RV interior is cold enough the refrigerator will not need to run to maintain 4 C / 40 F in the refrigerator, and that means it won't cool the freezer compartment, which can end up below freezing but not low enough to keep frozen foods solidly frozen. Thus, cold weather causes frozen food to thaw.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:39 PM   #62

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Just that up here the outside world - and thus eventually the trailer interior - gets a lot colder than a refrigerator in the winter.
Colder than a deep freeze a lot of the time lately too. Not sure what the forecast is for Edmonton, but the high here is forecast at -20°C) (-4°F).
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:42 PM   #63

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Seems to me that for travel in northern states and Canada in the winter, you need the trailer furnace running to maintain say 50 deg F. Tow vehicle should keep furnace fan from depleting battery, just bring lots of propane. Alternative is to head south earlier and miss peak cold periods.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:45 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Alternative is to head south earlier and miss peak cold periods.
For RVing I choose plan B.

Still good temps tomorrow to go for a ski with not as much worry of overheating.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-08-2017, 12:00 AM   #65

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Colder than a deep freeze a lot of the time lately too. Not sure what the forecast is for Edmonton, but the high here is forecast at -20°C) (-4°F).
Don't know what it was last night but one prediction was -2F. It is ridiculously cold here AFAIAC. Especially since you are much farther north and you are supposed to be colder!
I don't want to go skiing! Oh, okay, that was our low. I feel much better.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:05 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I don't want to go skiing!
It one does not embrace winter for all it's goodness, it makes for a long winter.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:11 AM   #67

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
It one does not embrace winter for all it's goodness, it makes for a long winter.
You're right. That's why I am going south! Did the skiing thing many many years ago in Japan. (Impossible now with my hips and back due to all of that "great exercise" for so many years. Don't overdo.) Have fun. We're into the puzzle at the moment. That's about our speed. Snow looks so beautiful but I no longer want to be in it!

Don't know if you can start the furnace, Kip, but you ought to be relatively warm in Gilbert. You're south!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:03 AM   #68

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I read somewhere that 4 season living is healthier than 2 or 3 season residency, also helps your mind to stay sharp, but I can not remember where I read that??.....
Old 01-08-2017, 08:33 AM   #69

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
This is how I intend to provide good circulation in our 5.0TA. The Caframo Sirocco is used a lot in the marine world, and made here in Canada. Nice that it folds out of the way, and can swing out into the aisle. Will help when using heat or A/C, especially for loft air circulation, and Lisa loves having moving air on her face year round in our bedroon.

Jim,

Be sure to check out the Amazon reviews on this particular Caframo product. After reading them, I opted for the similar, "Bora" model. Don't mean to put doubts in your mind, but thought you should know FWIW.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:02 AM   #70

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Don't know what it was last night but one prediction was -2F. It is ridiculously cold here AFAIAC. Especially since you are much farther north and you are supposed to be colder!
I don't want to go skiing! Oh, okay, that was our low. I feel much better.
We had -16 DEG F ( That's below zero ) this morning. House was down to 51 deg at 5:30 AM . Loaded up the wood stove and went back to bed . Only 100 days to ice out if past history is correct.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:27 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Jim,

Be sure to check out the Amazon reviews on this particular Caframo product. After reading them, I opted for the similar, "Bora" model. Don't mean to put doubts in your mind, but thought you should know FWIW.
I read those, but also read about it on some marine forums, and there it got really good reviews. Go to amazon.ca and it gets a 4.8 rating while the Bora got 2.5, go figure. Personally, I will look at Amazon reviews, but take them with a grain of salt, as many reviewers just chime in to bitch, while those that are happy go about their merry way.

It is the same with travel destinations. I have read scathing reviews of places that left me to wonder if they were at the same place i was. I think some just have their expectations too high, thus end up disappointed.

Besides, it was not that pricey, and to change out if ever needed is not a big deal.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:24 AM   #72

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Greg
Thanks for clarifying this. This is something snowbirds can encounter when heading south. As well as winter pickups from Chilliwack. One advantage, albeit a minor one, is pickups probably will not be carrying much or any food items. As a possible bird this year I was wondering how to deal with cold temperatures inside the trailer. I know the furnaces are designed to be operated while driving with the usual safety precautions but did not hear of anyone doing it. Of course outside temperatures make all the difference. My concern was not regarding personal comfort but rather the perishable items one may carry. Probably not the time to plan to eat many salads but what about other food items that the usual traveler carries. How much drop in temperature can one expect during an 8 hour day of driving at below freezing temperatures?
Last winter we left MB in deep freeze conditions in January, did not even consider sleeping in the trailer, had booked hotel in SD, but we did have a lot of food staples with us, traveled inside the truck and had to carry them in and out of the hotel. Of course no fruit or vegetables with us as we could barely leave home before crossing into the US and as we all know, you can't take those into the US. We spent two weeks at our daughter's in KS then headed to NM. We didn't even de winterize the trailer until we got to friends home in Las Cruces. The prior night at a campground in northern NM it was -11C when we got up in the morning. Out of curiosity I tried the water tap at the site, of course it was frozen.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:03 AM   #73

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Go to amazon.ca and it gets a 4.8 rating while the Bora got 2.5, go figure. Personally, I will look at Amazon reviews, but take them with a grain of salt, as many reviewers just chime in to bitch, while those that are happy go about their merry way.
I think some folks major in "Negativity Sciences" while in school. Interestingly, I just checked Amazon's Ratings for the Bora and it's 3.9 - as you said, go figure. So much for my confidence in their rating systems.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:03 PM   #74

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Winter in Alabama: 17 degrees this morning (Sunday), predicted to be in the 70's by Wednesday.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #75
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Winter in Alabama: 17 degrees this morning (Sunday), predicted to be in the 70's by Wednesday.
No sympathy here. I'm supposed to be landing on Maui Hawaii in 2 hours - instead I am stuck in Portland, Oregon with all flights cancelled due to an ice storm............

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:44 PM   #76
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
No sympathy here. I'm supposed to be landing on Maui Hawaii in 2 hours - instead I am stuck in Portland, Oregon with all flights cancelled due to an ice storm............
Oh Man! That sux. I'm about 5 miles east of Portland International Airport and it's really coming down out here... freezing rain that is. I hope you can get out soon Charlie.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #77

Quote:
For RVing I choose plan B.

Still good temps tomorrow to go for a ski with not as much worry of overheating.
Okay, I still did overheat, cut my face is grizzled because of the wind. Saw 3 bucks on the ski. Excuse the crappy zoomed in cell phone shot.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:37 PM   #78

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
72 degrees here today. Time to go camping.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:45 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
72 degrees here today. Time to go camping.
Let the melting begin.

Someday, not too far off, I will spend parts of my winter down your way, and across the southern states. No way I could survive the summers though.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:48 PM   #80

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
You'd be surprised, Jim. We sit on the patio year round as long as you're not in the direct sun it's fine. I've been way more uncomfortable in 90 degree summers in humid places than our summers here.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote