Furnace question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Furnace question

We will be doing our first "dry camping" in a few days and it will probably be the first time we will need our heater. I've been going over the instructions for the heater and am a little confused by what I'm reading (so, what's new ... ). From the manual:
3. Turn "OFF" all electric power to the appliance
5. Open the control access panel
6. Turn "OFF" switch (circuit breaker or manual switch) to the "OFF" position

Then we get to:
9. Turn the valve power switch to the "ON" position
10. Close access panel
11. Turn all electric power to the appliance "ON"

Right now, the switch behind the furnace panel says "RESET / OFF" (no "ON" in sight...) and it's in the "RESET" position. What other electric power are they referring to -- the digital thermostat (which does have an "ON/OFF" mode) or the circuit breaker (which would be the entire trailer)? Also, should we be turning "OFF" the furnace (via the access door) when we're moving the trailer? I'm thinking it's not a problem as it's evidently been in the "RESET" position since we picked up the trailer in Chilliwack ...

And, speaking of circuit breakers, we read (somewhere) that when you plug your electric cord into a campground receptacle, the main circuit breaker should be "OFF" ... and then you do the same when you unplug. This is SOP ... right?

Sorry, this upcoming trip has me a little unnerved ...
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
None of those instructions make any sense to me. I assume you are talking about the furnace, not the water heater?
To operate the furnace on my 17B, there is a lever on the top of the thermostat that I flick toward me. Then I turn the thermostat up to the heat required.
I'm expect your digital thermostat is similar in operation.
I don't mess with anything behind the furnace panel.
Have you tried not reading the instructions you have found and just turning up the thermostat ( with the propane tanks turned on )?
Old 06-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #3

Furnace

Sorry, had to run and take photos. Yes, it's the furnace not the water heater. I'm thinking that it's probably all set up as Reace showed us how it operated during our orientation; however, there was a flurry of activity about then and we were distracted. Anyway, the photos show what is behind the panel as well as our Dometic thermostat (the RESET/OFF switch is in the first photo, upper right). Before we tried turning the furnace on, we wanted to be sure there wasn't something else that we needed to be doing as we don't need anything breaking at this point ...

The thermostat controls both the heater and A/C but I don't even want to THINK about running the A/C ....
Attached Thumbnails
Heater Panel.JPG   Heater Thermostat.JPG  
Old 06-03-2014, 05:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 19' Escape - 2023 JGC-L Summit
We also picked up our Escape 19' in January. All we did to use the furnace was to open the valves on the propane tanks and use the thermostat to operate the furnace. No need to remove the furnace panel at all in our experience.
DonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I've had the same heater on two trailers now, and I've always turned on (reset) the switch behind the furnace panel when I'm ready to operate the furnace, and then turned it off when traveling. I suppose one COULD leave it in the reset position, but there might be a chance the furnace could come on when the trailer is unoccupied, especially if one hadn't paid any attention to the thermostat setting when the trailer was closed up.

I don't understand the first set of instructions at all, it's something I've never done. And I've never turned off my inside master switch before plugging in shoreside.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #6

Thanks to all. I'm thinking the instructions are referring to turning OFF the thermostat which makes sense if you're lighting the furnace for the first time (or after having it off for an extended period). And thanks Bob your insight into the shore power. We left the breakers on the first time we plugged in and noticed a delay in powering up the trailer ... which is why we thought we should have turned off the breaker, but we were probably okay.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
It is a good idea to turn off the breaker on the pedestal when plugging/unplugging the trailer. This prevents an arc on your plug (as well as the campground's receptacle) that causes pitting & extra wear...

I don't turn off the trailer breaker. If you have a Progressive Industries Power Protector that is an option from Escape, that will cause a delay when plugging or turning on the pedestal breaker. It can be set for 15 seconds (factory setting) or 136 seconds.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Thanks to all. I'm thinking the instructions are referring to turning OFF the thermostat which makes sense if you're lighting the furnace for the first time (or after having it off for an extended period). And thanks Bob your insight into the shore power. We left the breakers on the first time we plugged in and noticed a delay in powering up the trailer ... which is why we thought we should have turned off the breaker, but we were probably okay.
If you have the ETI-installed surge protector (small black box with red display on the road side dinette) there is about a minute delay after plugging into AC before the trailer goes hot.

The furnace directions are for initial setup. Assuming ETI demoed it during the orientation you do NOT need to mess with it. I have NEVER turned off the furnace (in any RV) other than with the thermostat except when I removed the furnace to make some electrical mods.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:55 PM   #9

Thank you Doug and Jon. We do have the ETI installed surge protector so we're good on that end. I will look for the breaker on the pedestal as my first experience with that delay was enough to make me a little more than nervous. And the furnace is going to be left alone. When we get around to thinking about the A/C, I'll probably ask a few more questions ...
Old 06-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #10

If you mean air conditioner and have the digital thermostat - not much to it: plug in to 120V, set thermostat to cool, and enjoy.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 19' hatch date Feb. 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
If you mean air conditioner and have the digital thermostat - not much to it: plug in to 120V, set thermostat to cool, and enjoy.
Can you safely run your air conditioner on a 20 amp, 120V outlet?
Howard
ADKzookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:35 PM   #12

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
AC on 120/20

A few days ago our magic black box rejected our electrics when I turned the AC on.
I checked the read out and it showed 114 volts instead of the usual 119 or 120, since it was 102 degrees outside I guess we were trying to have a brown out. The first time I've used a volt monitor and I guess it worked. Usually the AC works plugged into a 20 amp circuit.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #13

Oh, I'll probably worry that to death as well ... ;-)
Old 06-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKzookeeper View Post
Can you safely run your air conditioner on a 20 amp, 120V outlet?
Howard
IF the circuit is dedicated - nothing else on it and assuming your power cord is good for 20 amps. (The 25-30' ETI cord is fine - I am referring to any additional extension cords.) And assuming your batteries are not too low. Yes.

Probably OK to also run your fridge on 120V.

BUT don't run the microwave or the water heater on 120V at the same time. Or much else beyond lights.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:43 PM   #15

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
I have a 2011 E19 with the stock thermostat in it. I followed the instructions in the orientation video and the furnace won't even come on at all. Could this be just a bad thermostat or am I missing something? Jim
JimHol58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:56 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHol58 View Post
I have a 2011 E19 with the stock thermostat in it. I followed the instructions in the orientation video and the furnace won't even come on at all. Could this be just a bad thermostat or am I missing something? Jim
Jumper the R1 and W1 terminals on the thermostat or test the thermostat with an ohm meter assuming it is a 12 VDC system and not a power pile system
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:42 PM   #17

Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
Do you have your propane tanks turned on? Are they full? Do you have propane to the stove?
titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:20 PM   #18

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
12v is okay too?
Old 09-01-2018, 07:27 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHol58 View Post
If it won't "come on at all" (you don't even hear the blower come on) it has nothing to do with propane. It probably has to do with the circuit that provides power to the blower fan. Check fuses first. I believe the one that pertains to the blower fan is a 20 amp fuse. Even if the fuse looks good to the naked eye, try replacing it. I've had a similar scenario once before.